Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Re: New PC Build
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:50 pm 

Hmmm...Although COM1 does show up under "hidden devices". I'll try uninstalling it and see what happens.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:41 pm 

Yep, uninstalling worked. It no longer shows up when I click on "Show hidden devices". Although there wasn't a problem with it. I believe it was just there from when it was enabled and the driver was still there. So because of that it showed up under "show hidden devices". Now that I uninstalled it and windows understands that it's disabled, it didn't try and reinstall it.

Windows and in particular Windows 10 does seem to need a lot of "babysitting". That's why I like imaging software. Right now I'm using Macrium Reflect Home edition, which is great in my opinion. Much better than Acronis, which used to be great 10-12 years ago but is now a bloated mess. I take an image backup when everything is the way I want it and nothing is "broken" in windows. That way I can always go back.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:30 pm 

I'm still requesting a replacement board though.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 pm 

They finally approved an RMA for the board. Now I've just got to order some anti-static bags for the motherboard, ram, and pci express sound card. Also ordered a cpu socket protector from Ebay because they require that when shipping the mb back. Also ordering a plastic little case thing to store the cpu while I wait for the replacement motherboard.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 pm 

So this board is still having problems regardless, keeping the serial port disabled. Even though it's disabled in the cmos, today it showed up in device manager again. Even though I had fast boot disabled in the cmos which I thought "fixed" it. So anyway I went back just to double check the cmos and saw that it was disabled. Shut down the pc completely and went back to device manager and it was gone again. So it's clearly messed up.

So I have never RMA'd a MB before as far as I can remember anyway...I believe since they approved my RMA, that once I ship it back, they will just look it over and make sure it doesn't have any physical damage and then ship me a replacement. Scott, in your experience is that how it works?.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:11 am 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
So I have never RMA'd a MB before as far as I can remember anyway...I believe since they approved my RMA, that once I ship it back, they will just look it over and make sure it doesn't have any physical damage and then ship me a replacement. Scott, in your experience is that how it works?.

When I RMA'd a GIGABYTE board in the past they simply shipped back the same board (I marked it in a hidden spot to be sure). I had to go through the process again to get a new one. So in the end the problem was resolved but it took two tries. ;) Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:45 pm 

Well it did take them forever to finally agree to give me an RMA. It's not an expensive board so I don't see what the big deal is. So ok then I have the serial number written down, so that should be ok then right?. I'll just check to make sure the serial numbers don't match as soon as I get it back. Just don't want to install the board and build the pc again before I figure out it's the same board. Next time definitely it's gonna be an MSI board.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware