Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: 45nm single-core v. 65nm dual-core
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:40 pm 

Hi Scott,

I realize that this may be a ludicrous question since there are so many factors distinguishing different processors, but if all other factors were the same, how would a single-core processor built on a 45nm process compare to a dual-core processor built 65nm process?

(The reason I ask is because I am seeing some "low-budget" single core processors on the market which are built on the 45nm process and I want to know if they can compare at all to a dual-core processor built on a 65nm process.)

Thanks,
Brad

Post subject: Re: 45nm single-core v. 65nm dual-core
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

If all other factors were the same, a single-core processor built on a 45nm process would be about half as fast running multi-threaded applications as a dual-core processor built 65nm process. The 45nm chip would also cost less, run cooler and use less power.

If all other factors are the same, a change to a smaller process only makes the chips cheaper for the OEM to manufacture (smaller die = more die per wafer), and generally reduces power consumption and thermal output. However, when changing process, most of the time the chip mfr. will do things like increase cache sizes, clock rates, or add other features which might make a performance difference. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:22 pm 

How can a consumer tell what applications are multi-threaded and are taking full advantage of a processors capabilities?

Thanks for the info, Scott. I appreciate it.

Brad

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

If you have the program, you can tell by seeing if both CPU cores are relatively evenly loaded in the Task Manager. However, note that even single threaded applications will benefit from a multi-core processor if you are running several of them at once, as the OS can balance which cores get which applications. At this point, I would consider single-core processors only for the absolute cheapest, lowest performance systems. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:03 am 

You can also tell if an application is single or multi threaded by running Task Manager and changing the column set in the processes to include "Threads". If you see only 1 then it is single threaded.

The easiest example of this is to run notepad.exe (Start Menu->Run->"notepad.exe") then find it in the process list. It will have only 1 thread running.

-Evan

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware