[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - Hp Pavillion A1510n and AHCI Mode?
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Hp Pavillion A1510n and AHCI Mode?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:37 pm 

Scott my Dad just bought himself a new PC, so he gave me his old one. I am going to do a reinstall. Anyway I was looking up the specs for the system and it does indeed say that it supports Raid, and I'm guessing AHCI mode?.

On the HP site it indicates it has a Geforce 6150LE Northbridge/Nforce 430 Southbride also called MCP51. The second link tells me the specifications for that chipset except it says 6150 instead of 6150 LE. I wouldn't think that would matter much though because we are worried about the Southbridge here correct?. There are no settings to turn on Raid or AHCI in the Cmos set up program. I flashed it to its latest revision also.

I went and looked up AHCI in your book U&R PCS 18th edition Page 610-612. I did notice that Sata 1 specification also says "Emulation of parallel ATA device behavior" in your book on page 612 first paragrah. Also read in your book that it would say its in UDMA mode 5 if its in emulation mode(page 611 under the heading "Serial Ata Transfer Modes". Then I checked mine, and indeed that is what it said.

Somewhere in between I went to chat with an HP "Technician" and asked him about it. At first he went to try and tell me to go into the bios and look under the advanced menu, which I did and there is no setting to enable RAID or just enable AHCI mode. When I told him there was no setting he told me "AHCI was created by INTEL and this is an NVIDEA chipset, therefore there is no AHCI mode capability". So I went in your book and turned to page 610. There I found a sentence which I typed in the chat window. First of course I told him he was wrong. I told him it was created by a group of people that was chaired by Intel and not developed by Intel directly. Still I couldn't believe he told me this.

Post subject: Re: Hp Pavillion A1510n and AHCI Mode?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:01 pm 

Hard Drive installed is a Seagate ST3200827AS. This hard drive does support Sata 3.0Gbs, or the second revision of Sata....I took the drive out to check if maybe the jumper was set to only enable Sata 1.5 which would tell it to emulate IDE/PATA. There are no jumpers on the drive so I'm guessing thats not the problem. I'm really stumped on this. Maybe its just that options/capabilities of the board are alterd for HP by Asus. Hp lists it as an Asus A8N-LA and I do know that Motherboard manufacturers do make certain motherboards specific for companies like HP,Emachines, and Dell. Then if you go and look up the motherboard at Asus, they refer you to HP for support.

There is even a Driver download to remove a promise Raid driver in the support section for the PC,

My mind is going in so many different directions I really don't know what to do next!. I will probably just do an install from the recovery partition. So here is a link to the hard drive,

I don't but I'm guessing this is the same thing as the problem I had with my Dell. I guess the Powers that be at HP instruct the Motherboard Manufacturer Asus in this case to alter the motherboard somehow so certain features of the chipset are just not available in the altered, I would say "tainted HP specific" motherboard.

Why do they do such things?. So I guess if I ever purchase a system from a major manufacture I shouldn't even bother looking at the chipset features. The only matter when I build my own PCS!...

I have never purchased a pc pre-built, with one exception and thats my Thinkpad laptop.

Last edited by FatGuy on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:48 pm 

I can't see any reference to RAID with that MB, also being eagle-eyed that the pic of the board has four SATA ports but the spec only lists, pray tell how many it actually has?

in your bios setup at some point you prolly have choice of normal, AHCI and RAID options try RAID :) Also if you are installing XP from CD then you will need AHCI drivers built into the disc or on floppy! there are other posts on this subject on this Forum

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:09 pm 

David I guess you didn't read the entire post or mis-understood it.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:47 pm 

Taaaaakkeee TWO!

How many SATA ports does it actually has?

in your BIOS Set-up at some point you probably have choice of normal and AHCI options. Seems to be quite well hidden!. Unfortunately that HP manuals I can find dont list the BIOS option pages unlike manuals from Gigabyte (and others) which I recommend. Also if you are installing XP from CD then you will need AHCI drivers built into the disc or on floppy! there are other posts on this subject on this Forum

If you are using all the original H/W then just run the recovery system , but delete the crapware you don't use and get it all up to date (especially Java and Flash)

Hope this helps

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:29 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:53 am 

It was late! Sometimes it's best just to let Scott answer the stuff :)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:52 am 

I agree David, after all it is his message board and I come to get answers from him. Maybe some suggestions from others, but ultimately solutions from Scott Mueller the master of Uprading & Repairing PCS!. By the way it has four Sata connectors on the Mainboard.

This pc will either be another extra one, or as my wife calls my extra computers - "Junk I need to get rid of".

My Dad thought the hard drive went bad or something was seriously wrong with it, so he just went out and got a new computer. He works from home and needs to have a working computer and internet connection so I can understand that. Also this pc is quite old in computer years. So I will either keep it for an extra one, sell it, or part it out and sell "genuine HP parts" on ebay.

Here is some additional information about the Cmos setup options that I thought was strange. On the Main menu section it doesn't designate Primary IDE and Secondary IDE channels when refering to what is connected. It lists first channel device 0, first channel device 1, second channel device 0,second channel device 1(these are of course IDE).Than, starting at the third channel(which I believe is Sata1 controller it lists Third Channel Device 0 -"ST3200827AS" which is of course my hard drive connected to port 1 of the first Sata controller. Then it goes on to list Fourth Channel Device 0- None, Fifth Channel Device 0- None, Sixth Channel Device 0- None. Now I never thought Sata had "Channels". Each Sata port is independant, there is no "Master" or "Slave" designation. Sure the ports can be designated as coming from separate controllers like on this board Sata 1 is ports 1 & 2 and Sata 2 is ports 3 and 4. However the way they have it in the cmose setup program they list each port as a channel. It does have an option to enable Primary only, Secondary only, or both. For Sata options under the Advanced Menu it lists Sata1 and Sata2. The only options are enable or disable. Sata 1- enables ports 1 & 2. Sata 2- enables ports 3 & 4. I have the hard drive connected to port 1. The hard drive is listed as "3rd Master" in cmos setup. I am guessing that if I connected another sata drive on port 2 it would be listed as "4th Master".......
Its an Award Bios but I'm guessing it is modeified by HP. Maybe someone should teach them correct terminology?....

It could however be correct calling each port a channel because the definiton of channel is "A transmission path." Which is defined as,
"transmission path Last modified: Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Also referred to as a transmission channel, the path between two nodes of a network that a data communication follows. The term can refer to the physical cabling that connects the nodes on a network, the signal that is communicated over the pathway or a subchannel in a carrier frequency"

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:16 am 

Yes Scott, I admit I skimmed through that section while reading it. I just re-read it and now I understand better. Guess I should have read the entire chapter before making a comment. Thanks for letting me know the mistake I made though, otherwise I would have continued to think I understood it when I really didn't. Still though, today I think I'm gonna read all of Chapter 7 just too try and understand it better. I admit I always go and look things up in your books and have never read them straight through. I have tried a few times and got so far and than woke up an hour or two later with the book on the floor.

They are really good books, but they are not story books. I'll continue to purchase every edition that comes out. I just don't have the attention span to read the book from beginning to end and retain all the information.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:27 am 

Going to start a new thread now on chipsets since its a completely different subject. I think everything is done here in this thread. Let Mike put the hammer down....

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:50 am 
Site Admin

The design of a motherboard and BIOS can most definitely affect and/or limit chipset features. Note that the chipset in that motherboard does not appear to support AHCI, and while it may support some forms of RAID, there is no RAID support for a boot volume since there is no BIOS based utility for creating an array prior to OS installation. Still, once an OS is installed on a drive connected to either the PATA host adapter or one of the SATA ports, you might be able to use the NVIDIA software to create an array comprised of drives attached to any SATA ports not used by the boot volume. If you try that, let me know how it works out. Scott.

Post subject: Major Manufacturers Steal Chipset Features from Consumers
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:46 pm 

Scott, am I correct in thinking that motherboard manufactures alter their chipsets based on what pc companies like HP,Dell, Emachines tell them?. Otherwise I don't understand how a system with a certain chipset, say the NVIDIA GeForce6150 and NVIDIA nForce 430 which the HP Pavilion A1510n is based on only has some of the features which are described here,

Is it the actual motherboard manufacturer that alters these capabilities by order of HP?. Or what is going on here?. If this is explained more in detail in U&R PCS 18th edition, let me know the pages where I can look it up. If its not could you possibly include a section explaining this?. I'm almost positive you say in your book that when deciding on a new pc you choose the chipset first because that tells you what capabilities you are going to have on your new system.

EDIT: okay I see in U&R PCS 18th edition on page 273 you do say the Vendor can add or remove features.

By vendor do you mean HP, Emachines, Dell?. What company actually makes the changes?. Does HP decide, hey I don't want this feature and than ASUS(motherboard manufacture for this board) do something to the board in the manufacturing process to stop certain features?. How does this actually work?. Does Nvidia actually alter the chips themselves or are the chips themselves even changed?.

Sorry to ask so many questions but I really want to understand this better.

I'm confused, which happens a lot for me!. Just want to learn more and understand better.

Why do these companies do this?. Does taking a feature away actually save them money somehow?. So this says to me if you purchase a pre-built pc by one of the major manufactures the chipset doesn't even really matter much because the company that makes the pc is going to alter it anyway. For some reason I just don't think thats right. Its "immoral". When you purchase a motherboard with a certain chipset, don't you believe you a paying for the features that are included in that particular chipset?. I mean if I go to a restaurant and order a Cheeseburger, and they give me a hamburger with no cheese without telling me I would be upset. Then I explain to them, "hey I ordered a cheeseburger!", and they say "That is a cheeseburger!" with no explanation otherwise, even if I talk to the manager they still insist that ground beef on bread plain is in fact a "cheeseburger", wouldn't that be upsetting?. I know you answer is probably gonna be, "Just go to a different restaurant, or cook at home". Sure thats all well and good but I still don't think its right.

Maybe if you could explain how this would be advantageous to the consumer and not so much to the companies involved I would see it a different way. Right now though its almost as if consumers are being lied to by HP,Dell, Emachines and others because you look at the specifications on the HP page and it will say it has such and such a chipset, so if you go and look up that chipset it has certain features that anyone should EXPECT to have on their system. But then HP or whoever goes and changes them. So then I ask why even list that chipset is included with the motherboard on that particular system?. Why not disclose this information somewhere and make it known to the consumer before they purchase?.

Not that I'm upset because the system I have was FREE, but in general I am upset that something like this is allowed to happen. Generally I don't like to see the public ripped off or mis-informed for the financial gain of some big company.

So if you first look here,

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 84138#N825

at the specifications for the HP Pavilion A1510n it says under Chipset-"GeForce 6150 LE Southbridge: nForce 430 (southbridge also called MCP51)". Then you go and look that up at the first link I included above you will see certain features that, in my mind anyway, HP is telling you that they have on their system. There is a note but it says "Specifications are subject to change without notice".

Specification Definition from yourdictionary.com
"specs definition - computer
(Specifications) The details of the components built into a device."

Features definition from webopedia,
"(n.) A notable property of a device or software application. Many analysts bemoan the advent of featuritis—the seemingly endless addition of more and more features onto what was once a simple application. One of the principal challenges of modern applications is to offer a multitude of features without making the application complex. "

Now I don't think that really clearly states that HP intends to change the features and functions of the included chipset, furthermore it doesn't specifically say that HP has already altered the chipset that it is on the motherboard to remove some features originally included.

So what do you think of this Scott?. Am I missing something here or are these companies out and out lying about what is included in there systems. By lying I mean just happening not mention that this altering of the motherboard chipset features happens at all....

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:22 pm 

I would do a regular clean install on the pc but it has XP Media Center Edition installed and I don't have a Cd for that...So I guess I have to use the recovery partition.

Post subject: Re: Major Manufacturers Steal Chipset Features from Consumers
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:15 pm 

I ended up deleting the recovery partition and made a custom install install dvd with Nlite and XP pro. I know using the recovery partition would be technically a clean install, what I really meant was "bloatware free". At the moment I'm not using that license anyway. If I sell it though, before I do I'll have to borrow an XP MCE cd from someone because I really want to hang on to my XP PRO license and selling it with XP Pro installed wouldn't be right.

Thanks for explaining about the chipsets Scott, I really appreciate that. Maybe you could include that explanation in a future book?. Or maybe put it in the tips section. Thats really something I would like to remember and have never heard it actually explained.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware