Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Canon i560 inkjet printer: less ink per cart?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:19 pm 

Not sure, but it seems to me that a typical cartridge of black ink for my Canon i560 inkjet printer has about a third less ink than it used to have. It may or may not weigh the same; I haven't checked old and new net weights. But I keep a log of how many pages I print per cartridge and the cartridge brand and the number of pages is way down. I can't tell if I'm covering more of a page than I used to and that would make a difference, but that could be just as true the other way, if I'm covering less per average page.

I'm using the Canon brand and am thinking of switching back to Staples ink for nearly the same price, but I imagine that if Canon's page count has gone down and if it's known in the industry then Staples will have followed suit.

The strategy for getting us skinflints to buy printers, which, at the entry level, are reputedly not profitable except for supplies, reputedly used to be to raise the price of ink so we'd switch to get the ink bargain. (Xerox did that for commercial copiers and repair supplies. If you wanted to keep using an ancient chugger, go right ahead.) But I suspect retailers like Staples balked at carrying so many cartridge shapes and needing so much shelf or hook space and so pressed manufacturers to consolidate products and cut prices, which discourages a strategy of raising ink prices explicitly. So maybe they're raising them implicitly, by loading less efficient ink.

Either that or my log is not informative because my coverage percentage is up. Don't know which. Or my coverage is down.

My current cartridge is already reporting being nearly empty. The average for the three carts ending with the current one is so far only about 449 pages (individually 364-525 pp.). But the previous 8 Canon carts averaged 706.25 pages (individually 647-828 plus 2 totaling 1198 pp.). I've got 2 more Canon carts yet to open. The newer ones were bought starting in late '07 or early '08; I buy only 1-2 at a time so they don't get old.

Same hookup, computers, OSes, and driver (native) over time.

Just passing info along.

Thanks.

--
Nick

Post subject: Re: Canon i560 inkjet printer: less ink per cart?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:56 pm 

If you are doing black & white printing (text) predominantly, you should buy a laser with a decent toner capacity cartridge. Better and faster print with excellent quality. Heck of a lot cheaper than ink jet. While I have an HP, I have been impressed with the value of the Brother lasers. [An alternative is getting a rebuilt office HP printer that are great workhorses at great prices.]

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:00 am 

My past experience is that entry-level inkjets cost less to buy than entry-level lasers, more for ink, and less for electricity. A laser used to require its own dedicated power line; I'm told that's not true of newer models. Still, the HP P1006, apparently cheapest at a sale price of $99-100 at retailer J&R (HP lists the P1005 as cheaper because the P1006 is listed at a higher price), according to http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01067075.pdf , p. 93, as accessed 11-21-09, wants 4.9A of AC power. My Canon i560, which is older, according to the hard copy Quick Start Guide, wants approximately 24W, i.e., 0.12A of AC house current. One-fortieth.

At 300dpi on ordinary paper, it's unlikely most of us will ever see a difference in text, even in fine print, even in round letters; modern inkjets are up to that resolution and higher. I suppose it matters for gray-tone illustrations especially when subtle and I don't know about color and color registration. I used to use a 300dpi Apple LaserWriter or LaserWriter II (forgot which) in an office with a System 6 Mac and it was a workhorse.

Entry-level machines are slower and have shorter duty cycles. Maybe the advantages switch around for midlevel and high-end machines. That I don't know.

I still think of Brother as not likely to last or not very good, but I haven't had one or taken care of one, so maybe I'm not the one to ask. I tend to think of Canon, Hewlett-Packard, and Epson as the brands to consider; Xerox has had a fan on this forum. See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=376 , as accessed today but posted nearly 2 years ago.

I'm comfortable with used and rebuilt machines. The only cost caveat is that new machines come with ink you otherwise have to buy, not to software and manuals, which you can generally download but not always. For entry-level machines, those differences can wipe out the savings. Simp;ly having to buy a nonstandard power cable can wipe it out, unless you like wiring your own to an unusual connector.

More thorough research might yield different results.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:33 am 

Hi consider these

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/printers ... -fs-1350dn

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/printers ... er-hl-2035

Both highly recommended by my main mag, PC Pro

I have installed the Kyocera at a local garage and prints their invoice just fine, quick after warm up :)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:28 pm 

I like the lasers too.
Inkjet cartridges, by nature, dry out. This results in endless cleaning cycles that waste ink. Laser toner loves dry climates. You can leave that baby sitting for weeks, fire it up and get perfect prints. With laser prices dropping there is no reason to buy an inkjet.

I bought a HP3600n last year and it's still printing great. Brother had a similar unit but the reviewer said the paper tended to curl coming out of the chute. I like curls on my wife but not on my printed material.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:33 pm 

Maybe the Canon i560 entry-level inkjet is just better than you'd expect.

Unopened, inkjet ink reportedly lasts 3 years; I buy what I'll likely use within that kind of time frame, so I buy a couple of carts at a time for a small discount.

Opened, it reportedly lasts 6 months; according to my log, up to 8 months and 10 days for Canon ink and 9 months and 10 days for competitive Staples ink. I don't use it past the ink-out declaration by my native driver, because that's when it warns of possible harm if I were to keep using it. If it wasn't for the ink-out condition, I have no clue that there was any problem other than the ink running out, i.e., it doesn't seem to have been drying out. When I take a cart out for having reached the ink-out state, it looks virtually empty. New carts don't look like that.

I hardly ever clean the nozzles. I did that when I installed the printer. I may not have since then, or maybe I did once. My ink log began nearly 5 years ago. That means that post-installation I've run the cleaning procedure between zero and one times in nearly five years.

My printer and the ink rest for weeks at a time. The loose plastic cover is not airtight. Yet, when I print after that, I don't have to waste any output because of machine quality (because of faulty writing, yes, but not because of ink quality).

Prices favored new inkjets over new lasers by more than 3-to-1 among the lowest-priced in both technologies the day before Thanksgiving (the date may affect discount policy) at J&R (a large computer & electronics retailer in the N.Y.C. downtown Manhattan business district) via jr.com sorted by J&R by price from lowest to highest, limited to stated-price in-stock models, models unfamiliar to me and thus not recommended and not objected to:

Lasers, the cheapest 13 averaging $210.21 per model, with only 1 under $100 (list per http://www.jr.com/category/computers/pr ... lePrice-0/ as accessed 11-25-09):
$89.99: HP LaserJet P1006 USB Laser Printer
$109.99: Brother HL-2140 Compact Personal Laser Printer
$139.99: Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer
$149.99: HP LaserJet P1505 USB Printer
$159.99: Konica Minolta Magicolor 1600W Color Laser Printer
$189.99: Brother HL-5340D High-Speed Laser Printer with Duplex
$189.99: HP CC376A Color LaserJet CP1215 Printer
$227.88: Konica Minolta Magicolor 1650EN Full Color Laser Printer
$249.99: Brother HL-5370DW Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex
$274.99: Konica Minolta MC1690MF Magicolor 1690MF Laser Multifunction Printer
$279.97: Ricoh Corp Aficio SP C222DN Color Laser Printer
$329.99: Brother HL-3070CW Digital Color Printer w/ Wireless Networking
$339.99: Konica Minolta MC5550 magicolor 5550 Color Laser Printer
etc. at $349.97 (on next page) & up

Inkjets, the cheapest 13 averaging $67.68 per model, with all 13 under $80 and 3 under $50 (list per http://www.jr.com/category/computers/pr ... lePrice-0/ as accessed 11-25-09):
$49.99: Polaroid CZA10011 PoGo Instant Mobile Printer
$49.99: Canon 3745B002 PIXMA MP490 Photo All-In-One Printer
$49.99: Presto Services PPM10 Presto Printing Mailbox
$59.99: HP Officejet 6000 Printer
$64.99: Canon Pixma IP3600 Photo Printer
$69.99: Epson WorkForce 30 Printer
$69.99: Kodak ESP3 All-in-One Printer, Scanner and Color Copier
$74.99: Canon 3501B001 SELPHY CP780 Compact Photo Printer - Silver
$74.99: Canon 3503B001 SELPHY CP780 Compact Photo Printer - Blue
$74.99: Canon 3502B001 SELPHY CP780 Compact Photo Printer - Pink
$79.99: HP Officejet Pro 8000 Inkjet Printer
$79.99: HP Photosmart D5460 Printer
$79.99: HP CH396A#B1H Deskjet D2680 Inkjet Color Printer
etc. at $84.99 & up

Lasers haven't come down nearly enough to come close to the pricing of inkjets.

And if lower electricity consumption is consistent betweeen the two technologies (see my example comparison in an earlier post and correcting my error there in that 24W is 0.2A, the comparison still favors an inkjet over a laser by about 24-to-1), I'd have a hard time justifying a laser for low-volume grayscale printing. If I need to buy a printer anytime soon, and I probably won't need to, I'll likely get an inkjet.

Thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:37 am 

I've got an old HP CP1700 (with the Duplexer upgrade) and I only use the printer a couple of times a year (It's an A3 model) the ink never dries up.....

Some printers have a CR2032 battery just like a motherboard and by taking that battery out the clock resets to 2003-2004 (IIRC) and of course means I can use out of date carts, available cheaply on Ebay :)

Few years ago had a Lexmark x1150 printer and you could almost watch the ink drying up on that "printer"

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware