Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Memory Speed and Motherboards
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:21 pm 

Hi Scott,

I am looking at buying a new mobo and new memory. Specifically, the mobo at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128358 and memory at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRe ... eywords%29

I plan to get DDR2-1066 memory. However, I have read reviews about memory with this speed that in some instances, users can get it to run only at 800MHz, otherwise the system is either unstable. If the mobo is rated for 1066, shouldn't it run 1066 RAM normally without any adjustments in the BIOS? Also, I've noticed that most (or some) of the 1066 RAM is rated around 2.0, 2.1 V, and I think DDR2 is supposed to be 1.8V. Does that mean that the RAM that's rated with the higher voltage is merely an OC version?

Also, would there be a noticeable difference in performance if the memory was upgraded from 4x1GB DDR2-667 to 2x2GB DDR2-1066 (my FSB is 1066)?

Thanks,
Matthew

Post subject: Re: Memory Speed and Motherboards
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I've noticed that most (or some) of the 1066 RAM is rated around 2.0, 2.1 V, and I think DDR2 is supposed to be 1.8V. Does that mean that the RAM that's rated with the higher voltage is merely an OC version?

Yes. DDR2 is supposed to run on 1.8V, and DDR3 on 1.5V. I recommend avoiding non-standard memory, which requires altered voltage settings in order to work properly. If you intend on using DDR2 memory, then I only recommend DDR2 modules which run on 1.8V.

Quote:
I plan to get DDR2-1066 memory.

The P45 chipset supports max. memory speeds of DDR2-800 *or* DDR3-1066. If your board supports DDR2 and you install DDR2-1066, it will happily run at DDR2-800 speed. If you really want 1066MHz memory, you'd have to get a P45 board that supported DDR3, and of course use DDR3-1066 modules.

Quote:
...would there be a noticeable difference in performance if the memory was upgraded from 4x1GB DDR2-667 to 2x2GB DDR2-1066 (my FSB is 1066)?

There would be a less than 1% overall improvement in performance running normal applications, which would not be noticeable. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware