Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: 1st-Time Builder's Log, Part III: Build Day Continuation
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:20 pm 

Hello everyone,

This thread is a continuation of the discussion in "1st-Time Builder's Log, Part II: Build Day." I am a newbie builder in the process of building my very own 1st-time machine! The thread has continued over a number of days as workweek matters took the build well beyond just a single day, but I am maintaining my forum-thread titles nonetheless. I have been taking a good number of photos and interspersing them between text so readers can follow along with the ongoing experience of a 1st-time builder. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) I have inserted a good number of photos as the build continues, and as a result download time for viewing the Part II thread has grwon over the last few days. To alleviate that I am opening a continuation thread here, continuing where the last entry left of. This is a header posting for future readers. You will find the 1st-Time Builder's Log, Part II elsewhere in the forum thread listings, and this thread is a continuation of the previous one.

Post subject: Re: 1st-Time Builder's Log, Part III: Build Day Continuation
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:27 pm 

ok then, where were we last time? I had a random internet outage again that kept me offline for some while. Internet outages like that happen all the time around here, three or four times a day and often even more than that. I know it has nothing to do with my particular machine. The business across the way experiences exactly the same thing, as does everyone I know in the neighborhood with a connection. It is frustrating in the extreme. Last time I went in to the cable company store another party from somewheres else I did not recognize was reporting it to the cable company representative, and I confirmed that I too experienced the same problem along with eveyone in my neighborhood as well. The representative thought we were nuts and looked like they were surely blowing off the report. Bothersome. I have been hoping things might improve when I move up to Giganet ethernet after the build, but I do not know about that. Whatever causes the problem may run deeper. At first I thought it had something to do with the weather, but after paying attention for a while it became clear that the phenomenon is random with respect to day or night, clear skies or rain. My supposition now is that it may have something to do with peak usage. At random times of the day too many people are using the system and the cable company's resources are too limited. Just a guess though. I have no idea what causes the obnoxious thing, nor does the business next door or anyone else in the immediate area. Pain in the neck, but what can you do?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:41 pm 

Matters left off in the previous forum just before motherboard installation. A view here of the computer case with stand-offs removed and added as necessary, ready for the installation:

I was initially puzzled by the following stange attachment to a port on the corner of the motherboard:

It seems to have been intended to fit in between the outer and inner layer of the input/output panel. I am still unclear about whether it was really supposed to go there, but that is where it went.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:48 pm 

The motherboard is now installed in the case. I will show a series of views of that now:

A close-up view of one of the screws:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:09 pm 

I regret to report that installation procedures with respect to the input/output panel are unimpressive. The input/output panel itself was nothing more than a flimsy pice of plastic. It did not have the feel of a developed component, but of a cheap device that you might find used in a children's toy. It was not terribly cooperative, and there was no click or "fit" when the motherboard was placed in the case indicating that matters were aligned right. At every step of the way thus far it has been clear that our fine engineers had done an excellent job getting the component parts put together right so devices attached to one another snugly anf firmly, but it was not so with the input/output panel. I would say that this particular stage of assembly is currently in premature form, needing further attention from our engineers and parts manufactorers. It has not at this time reached an adequate state of development.

I originally attempted to place the input/output panel into the case and then place the motherboard into position, but after much adjustment it became clear that this probably was not going to work. The peculiar piece of plastic on the edge of the last port on the motherboard pushed the board away from the case, as did some other strange plastic attachments on other parts. I resorted to taking the input/output panel out of the case, inserting the plastic attachment in between the outer and inner edges of the flimsily cheap input/output panel, and put the motherboard with the input/output panel sort-of attached into the case chasis together. Still it took some fiddling to get things more or less in the right place, so the holes for screws on the motherboard would align sufficiently with the stand-ffs below. Once I got them aligned sufficiently I proceeded to insert the screws, figuring that was the best that could be done and things would surely be in place well if you managed to get some such alignment in place. It was not a trivial matter to get the input/output panel placed around-about where it should be with the motherboard holes and screw-insertion stand-offs lined up as they needed to be.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:18 pm 

Unfortunately the resulting fit was not completely in line, as I discovered shortly after putting the motherboard screws in place. I am currently debating whether I need to unscrew the motherboard and try again, or whether this is the best I can reasonably hope for. The procedure was awkward and ill-fitting to such extent that there is no guarantee that further attempts will improve matter. In fact a retry might be misalign the components even worse, connections between these parts being premature in the way they rather clearly are. Here are some magnified pictures where you can see the alignment is not quite what it ought to be:

From a distance though it seems more reasonable, and having seen how difficult it is to get the screw holes aligned sufficiently to insert the screws at all, I am rather doubting whether I could get the parts aligned much better. A view from farther back:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:26 pm 

I suspect I may know why the alignment is off.

The metal slip on the right here is nothing more than a flimsy piece of plastic, but I think it may have been intended to snap into place by folding towards the inside. It probably was in place like that on the first attempt, but when that attempt failed and I attached the input/out panel to the corner of the motherboard first, when the motherboard was put in place and the screw-holes aligned the corner did not fold in as it was supposed to. Good luck to me if I try again since the matter was quite difficult to get in place, but I sort of hate to have an unprofessionally configured input/output tray on the back. Granted it is on the back but I am still not fond of it. To undo everything and try again or not is the question on the table.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:41 pm 

Further strange findings appeared on the bottom after getting the screws in place. The backplate to the heatsink is offline as you can see:

It seems nearly certain there is nothing to be done about this, as the needed alignment for the screws and the stand-offs leaves no room for adjusting. Not the kind of thing one can be particularly happy about nonetheless. It seems to be to be a defect in the case construction. The folks at CoolerMaster wanted to leave an empty square beneath the processor so 3rd-party heatsinks could be inserted without needing to remove the board, but the placement of the empty square does not fit the processor precisely. Prehaps it would on an 1156 motherboard (?). I do not know. Both the case and the heatsink are manufactured by CoolerMaster though, so one would think they ought to be aware of this. So far as I can tell though, there is nothing I can do about it.

ok. I am of split inclination here. Given how difficult it was to get everything this well in place, I am inclined to continue on to hard drives, CD/DVD drives, power supply, fans, and wiring. After all it is considerably unclear to me that I can possibly get the alignment of the input/output panel to come together any better. Seems absurd even to try in a sense. It was so difficult to get the ports to appear in the corresponding holes on the panel to begin with that trying to get the aligment to change with respect to where they appear in the holes rather than whether they appear at all seems nuts. On the other hand though the ports are not aligned as they ought to appear, that is undeniable, and if I continue without trying to correct it the matter will stay that way indefinitely. I am going to pause here then and see if any parfties out yonder want to register in about it. I will sit on it for an hour or so and see what I think.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:20 pm 

Okay, I'll give you my two cents worth of thought. My feeling would be if it is functional and the stand offs are properly installed - making sure the motherboard circuitry is not in contact with metal - then go ahead with the build. After all, the part that is aesthetically displeasing is in back of the case and would not be visible from the front.

BTW, you have completed the hardest part of the build. You are doing just fine.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:25 pm 

ok then. I heated up some late dinne, thought about the matter for a while, and it seems that I will simply continue. As Mr. jheveran says it is in the back and everything should be fully functional. The other matter I have wondered about is how likely it is that I would get a better fit by removing the motherboard and trying again. I am not so sure about that. It seems to me that I may end up performing a good deal of a hassle only to find the same result, or at best a marginally improved one. There are certainly not a whole lot of options for adjusting things. The stand-offs below have to match up with the holes in the board so that the screws will be in place. Unless the input/output panel shifts in some way during the process or happens to snap into place somewhat better perhaps, the result is likely to be pretty much the same. I am not inclined to go through all of this trouble only for the chance of a better result (plus I simply do not feel like it) so onwards we go.

Mr. jheveran says the hardest part of the build is over. I do hope so but cannot be sure of that from a newbie's point of view. I assume the hard drives and CD/DVD drives can be put into place easily enough, but after that there looks to be wiring chaos coming up. Wires wires everywhere. I will need to figure out where they go and then find a way to dress things up nicely. I still have not decided what I will do with the fans. The situation seems somewhat absurd to me:

These, plus the fan already on the heatsink and the the power supply/graphics card fans coming up too. Can it really do much good to have all that swirling around and about in the machine? Not sure. The big ones are all 200mm I think. BIOS flash and then the dreaded Windows installation. Hopefully that will be pretty easy but I have to review how to format the drives with correct partitions, make sure they all get formatted (including the external drive), figure out activation and user account / administrator account passwords, plus whatev er updates I need. I am not sure about the drivers issue either. The graphics card will clearly need an updated driver, but are there others I will need to look for? I have to think about that when I get there. That raises an interesting point. There is a CD that came with the motherboard and I am not sure why at the moment:

Chipset drivers, or BIOS flashing disk maybe? I will have to look that up with the material that came along with the motherboard. Also the issue of setting up the RAID array too. All of this could go quite easily but I am not sure of that yet. I will feel better I think when I have managed to get the wiring accomplished.

Hmm...onwards to hard drive and CD/DVD burner install. Then to wiring before long I assume.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:43 pm 

Seems the case CPU window (rear) is slightly too low! :( you could take the MB/others out of the case and cut two notches out! This would kill the warranty though, but think! How likely is a metal box to go wrong?!?

Little tip!

Put the cables in place (don't press home)

But......

do press them home before connecting the mains!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:12 pm 

From Mr. David McMahon:

"Seems the case CPU window (rear) is slightly too low! you could take the MB/others out of the case and cut two notches out! This would kill the warranty though, but think! How likely is a metal box to go wrong?!?"

Interesting suggestion, I had not thought of that. I take it you are referring to the backplate/motherboard tray hole in the rear. Scissors probably would not work though. I decided to live with the abnormality, as well as the somewhat maladjusted input/output panel, and proceed. I will have to keep that in mind for the morning though.

Hard Disk Drives are mounted and in. Photobucket dump uploading, followed by some discussion. Strange discovery: the slots in the rear of the case to hold PCI card's bracket connections are not aligned with the PCI slots on the motherboard. I have to hope it is supposed to be that way, since there seems precious little that could be done about it. The stand-offs have to align with the screw holes. Hard drives first though, coming up.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:27 pm 

get some thinner nuts,

you see i am not just a "pretty face" lol

karl @ hedon near hull.

bye..........

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:31 am 

Another random internet outage. Incredibly obnoxious. Everyone and their dogs around here wonder what the heck the problem is. My thesis seems most probable I think: the cable company sucks. What can you do though, happens all the time three to four times a day. At this hour surely it could not be due to peak usage one would think. Frustrating in the extreme. I have to redo the upload to Photobucket. Looks like we will be continuing tomorow.

I pulled the graphics card out of the box to check on the alignment issue. It looks like that was a newbie misinterpretation: they are in fact aligned correctly. The appearance is simply different than I expected.

A rundown on what needs to happen tomorow, if I understand correctly. Hard disk drives and CD/DVD burner are in. I will have to figure out which fans I want to use and in what configuration. One on the side panel blowing out of the chasis originally from what I can tell, one on the front blowing in over the hard drives, and one on the top of the case. Unfortunately I did not check to see whether that one was blowng into or out of the case at the time. I had not yet discovered that arrows on the side would tell me this. The final smaller fan attaches to the back panel of the case blowing outwards. Seems reasonable to use that one I suppose. Three 200mm fans though in addition to all the other fans that will be around strikes me as overkill, but perhaps it will be the way to go.

Ok then. Each of the hard drives plus the CD/DVD burner will have a data transmission connection to the motherboard. I have to check in on whether any special data connection cables are necessary for the intended RAID array setup. Each of the fans will also have a connection leading into the motherboard.

Then the power supply comes into play. A main power supply connection will go into the motherboard. Possibly a second 12v connection. I will have to figure out how many connections should be going directly from the power supply into the motherboard. Then there will be a seperate power connection from the power supply leading into the hard disk drives and the CD/DVD burner. Once the graphics card is added, one or two connections straight from the power supply will plug into the graphics card.

Finally we have the front panel connections. There is a fan speed knob on the front panel, and as a result of this each of the fans that come with the case plug into connections coming out of the front panel. The heatsink fan is an exception, as there seems to be no seperate connector for that one into the frontpanel device. There is a connector-box so to speak for the other front panel connections. It looks like those front panel connections all plug into the connector-box, which in turn plugs into the motherboard.

Ok, does that sound right? I suppose I will need to look all this up in the morning, but maybe someone can verify or describe whether this seems right, and if not what I may be missing. Then when all of these connections are made I will need to dress and tidy-up the wires and cabling. Does not sound all that fun, but if I can figure out how to get all those wires in tomorow I could potentially get all the way up their to accessing the BIOS program, verifying the settings therein, flashing the BIOS and installing Windows. We wold be looking pretty good to go at that point if the wiring can be completed within a reasonable time frame.

It might be possible to flash the BIOS too before getting into the program in order to verify this-that-and-the-other as well, but while I understand what flashing the BIOS does, I have never performed the operation before.

Ok then. Re-uploading to Photobucket and I am retired for tonight.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:31 am 
Site Admin

I've got 2 recommendations for this build:

Get rid of that obnoxious case and get this one.

Also, just use the heatsink that came with the processor!

Much nicer, easier to put together and quieter system!

Gotta go with The Mueller recommendations!!! Judging by the parts you have, it doesn't look like you purchased anything that we would put into a system. I hope this goliath works out for you in the end. <g>

Mike

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:45 pm 

Mr. Bill wrote:
Further strange findings appeared on the bottom after getting the screws in place. The backplate to the heatsink is offline as you can see:

Wouldn't this create a short between the motherboard and the case?. Or no, because there isn't actually any electricity flowing through or around the backplate?...But even if there was electricity flowing just next to it, the backplate would be the path of least resistance...no?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:29 am 

Starting a Photobucket drop. Fans, SATA data transfer cables, Front Panel Connectors, Power Supply installation underway. Wires wires everywhere. I hope to log on with a thread update and write-up later today or this evening, after the wiring is completed. Quite some task for the newbie builder, plus the dressing matters to follow. So far things seem to be underway quite fine though.

MrBillUR on Photobucket. 12308 New Image views now. Way beyond Holy freaking cows, somewhere out in the stratosphere. I do hope they have been of assistance and/or otherwise of productive and useful value to whomevers-it-is out there who are running into them.

All the best, as always. I hope to be back online at the forums later in the day.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:34 pm 

That is kinda odd looking, the metal back plate. Does it make contact with the board? Scott would be the one to know. I never used a plate on a motherboard.

Go Bill!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:53 pm 

Man these Mr Bill threads are like reading a book. I think Scott needs to hire this guy. Mr. Bill can type it out like a news press.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:50 pm 

Hello again everyone,

It is such a great pleasure to be back on these forums as always. Yours truly is headed out of town tomorow night to return Sunday evening, and I have been attending to various matters related to that departure. On my list to attend to before turning in for tonight is an update on the forum thread. The next step in the build will involve running electricity through the machine and turning it on, and I wanted to put some time on the table for any incoming feedback to the ffect of "make sure you have attended to this-and-that," "you might want to look at so-and-so again," "have you finished or double-checked such-and-so," and so forth. Turning the machine on will probably occur sometime on Monday, so if I can put a posting together tonight there will be 48 hours or so for possible incoming comments before that occurs. Regretably however there are limits to the time I have remaining to post tonight, so I will have to balance my usual preference for completeness against the limited remaining time. We will just have to see what I can do with that.

What is the present state of the build? Yesterday afternoon and into the night last night I made my way through the wiring process, continuing with it until it was completed (completed so far as I can ascertain anyway). Data transfer connections for SATA devices are completed (Hard drives and optical drives), fans I intend to use have been reinstalled physically and associated wiring completed, front panel wiring connections established, power supply installed and wiring matters related to that attended to, and the wires and associated connections have been dressed to the extent that I know how to do that. Graphics card has also been installed and power connections made, and the backplate and top shelf of the case have been put into place. This is to insure, in the case of the backplate, that dressed wires will rest ok therein, and that the wires connecting to the top plate are all secured. Front-panel wiring matters occur on the top of the computer case with this chasis. In the course of attended to these matters yesterday I uploaded a total of around 100 or so photos to Photobucket, bringin ght total number of photos available there for the build up to around 380 or so. Mr. Bill does have a tendency towards some elaboration with these things. The photos can be viewed at MrBillUR on Photobucket for anyone who may be interested in having a look at that.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:56 pm 

Make sure Sata Mode is set correctly, on a high end build Scott recommends Raid 10 (four drives and think it's two Raid 0 arrays mirrored! But might be the other way around!

If using XP then use driver packs to ensure the SATA AHCI drivers are installed without needing an FDD

Make sure all memory and GPU is pushed home (A half hanging chip might fry especially if you bump the case)

Oh yes Enjoy, will be very fast and should last a long time! Make sure fan monitoring is switched on in the BIOS so you get a beep on failure. Erm lots more to say but have fun on your trip :)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 pm 

Ok I need to walk through what I can of the process in the time I have available tonight. Hard drives and fans first. We will start with a picture of the hard drives I am using:

The odd-man-out drive on the right is the 160 GB drive from November's kaput machine. There are around 70 or so GB free on the drive so far as I know, and everything from the old machine will be on that drive and on that drive alone. While all three drives are installed and ready to go at this point, I have disconnected the 160 GB drive for startup procedures. I do not want that drive to get reformatted in the installation process, and it has a working version of Windows XP on it that was used in the old kaput machine. I wish to avoid having the new machine search for operating systems and attempt to boot from the old drive during initial setup matters. Once things are good to go I will probably copy whatever I want from the old drives elsewhere, and then erase or otherwise wipe clean the old drive (at the moment I do not know how to erase a drive, but I know where to look for reference when the time comes). Prior to handling that however I will leave that drive disconnected so our machine does not leapfrog over the intended stages of the build process and boot into the old operating system.

In the ionterest of abbreviated time available tonight I will discard disussing the physical intallation procedures for the hard drives and optical drives. Those procedures were relatively unproblematic and straightforward.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:31 pm 

Ah many thanks Mr. David McMahon, so great to see you on the forums here tonight.

Fans are next. The top panel and the side panel looking down onto the motherboard are open-air on this computer chasis. I believe I have a photo of the top panel showing this.

The is a piece of paper underneath the bezel to help demonstrate that it is open air. The side panel looking into the case also has this open-air feature. The open-air character of the case complicated air-control strategies somewhat, since you will not have an enclosed tube where airflow can be predicted. The case has one relatively small 120 mm that blows out from atop the input/output panel, and comes with three 200 mm rather large fans. One of those fans attaches to the front bezel and blows in over the hard drives, one attaches to the side panel blowing down onto the motherboard, and the other attaches to the top panel just underneath the picture shown. Unfortunately there are conflicting indications for that panel, one demonstration in the user manual having that blown blowing down into the case, and the other picturing it blowing upward out of the case. Since the top and side panels are open air I opted to configure the top fan blowing air out from the case. There is minimal need for fans blowing air into the case when the side panel is not solid-surface. For this reason it has been my default intention to discard and leave aside the 3rd 200mm fan that is supposed to blow air down onto the motherboard. If I need it I can always add it, but I am inclined to think that the fannage matter is rather excessive with the case to being with. We have then one 120mm fan over the heatsink blowing air toward an exit, one 120mm fan above the input/output panel blowing air out, one 200mm fan blowing air into the case from the front-rear, blowing over the hard drives, and one 200mm fan on the underside of the top panel again blowing air out of the case. Most fans blow out and away from the processor area, and cooler air can infiltrate through the side panel without any need (hopefully) for the 3rd 200mm fan to be attached there blowing downwards onto the motherboard. If anyone thinks it would be strongly preferable to include that fan do let me know, since my current intention is to leave it go.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:39 pm 

ok. Front panel connections. "Front-Panel connections" actually refers to the top panel in this case since that is where the control and input/output ports are. An initial look at the panel itself:

The know in the center controls the 200mm fans, which plug into the front panel directly rather than connect onto the motherboard as usual. Power has to be supplied for the front panel on this case:

A look at the connections from the front panel for the fans, USB and other ports, and the smaller wires for LED's and such:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:55 pm 

The case comes with a convienient connector for the smaller wires, which I will show assembled here:

And attached into its slot on the motherboard here:

I will also include here one of the pictures from the wiring process. You will find step-by-step pictures of this kind of thing among the hundred or so photos deposited on Photobucket yesterday. This is from fairly ealier on just after the top panel was attached and the wires were pulled through the available enclosure. You will see here that I have grouped several of the wire-types together and cable-tied them together intermittently to assist keeping them grouped together in the process of wiring the machine together. Oftentimes the temporary ties were severed and the wires directed to their destinations after preliminary steps were taken. I found the interim ties helpful nonetheless, even if the wires had to be seperated and directed in different regions afterwards, to insert some order into the otherwise large bundles of wires one would have to work with. The wires on the left are for USB, fireware, esata ports and an audio connection, second from the left are the wires that feed into the connector shown above, third are wires for 200mm fans, and in the upper right-hand corner wires head out to be attached to the 200mm fan that attaches just underneath the top panel:

The last picture I will show here for the front panel connections are the attachments onto the motherboard:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:19 pm 

I am inclined to offer a more elaborated descriptions of how these matters proceeded, but I am afraid that I simply do not have the time avaliable to do that this evening. At a later date I may come back into postings from this evening and elaborate further. I see already a number of typos and points I may want to add in elaboration on the posting in the previous window, but I am pushing the limits of time available given depature time in the morning. Still I will need to proceed through the power supply.

Ok. Mr. Bill got a lesson early on in why modular-cabled power supplies are so popular. Modular cabling enables you to disconnect wires coming out of the power supply that you will not be using, easing problems with dressing the wires and keeping them out of the way. Unfortunately I did not have this luxury. A look at the power cables:

Some resourcefulness was clearly going to be required. I started by temporarily bundling the wires into groups and finding the power connections cables to the motherboard in the mess of wires onhand:

The last picture here is of the two power cables that lead directly into the motherboard.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:35 pm 

Some pictures from the installation of the power supply. I can see here the frustrations I ran into with slow uploading time on Photobucket. There are 35-45 or so extra pictures in addition to the 100 uploaded that I did not set up in Photobucket to save time on uploading. Some of the photos I might want to use on not in here (i.e. in Photobucket).

Some views of the power supply after it went in:

From the front we had a bunch of wires, some of which need to be directed and connected, others of which would not be used and had to be dressed or squirreled away:

Here I made an initial division between some that would be directed behind the motherboard plate and others that needed to be kept out in front, at least for the time being:

Available space to direct wires out the back was not entirely plentiful, as you can see here:

Wires out the back had a tendency to accumulate:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:52 pm 

Power connections:

The first picture here is the main power connection straight into the motherboard. The second photo shows the second power connection, also going straight into the board.

This is the power connections to the front panel (top-panel in this chasis), which requires an incomping power connection in our case.

Power connection and data cable for the optical drive.

Power connection and data cable for one of the three hard drives. Only one of the other two are connected, the 160 GB hard drive being left alone for the moment. Wires are in place and allocated to connect, but they are disconnected at the base of that drive. The other end is currently connected to a sata port on the motherboard, but hopefully that current connection will not raise any difficulties. It comes out of the motherboard port but otherwise does not lead anywhere since it is not currently plugged in to the 160 GB drive. Likewise there is no power to that drive at the present time either.

I think that covers all the power cable connections short of the graphics card. One to the front panel, two direct to the motherboard. One connection goes into the optical drive, one each to each of the 640 GB WD hard drives, and one allocated to the old 160 GB drive. The last disconnected for now.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:03 am 

I did everything I could to get the wiring together nice and neat, but at some point you simply had to do whatever you could. A look at the backplate towards the end:

I had to attach the wires in closer before putting on the backplate. Some pictures of the board and the enclosure from the front prior to installing the graphics card:

As clean and open as I could get it, with all those wires that had to be squirreled away and/or attached. And then we come to the graphics card, a big, heavy, beast of a card.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:24 am 

Ok. That is pretty much all I can do tonight, as I have to turn in for departure in the morning. I will leave you with a set of pictures of what the build looks like now, everything wired together with the backplte in plave and the graphics card installed.

That will have to do it for tonight. I should be back Sunday night or Monday morning/afternoon. Next step will be checking for solid connections one last time, putting the final panels back in place, setting up and connecting the monitor and plugging the build in to turn it on. Power comes into play next time. Anything anyone can think of for "have you checked this," "be sure you have done that," and so on and so forth will be much helpful before the next step comes. One does not want to send electricity through withou making sure we are ready for it. 48 hours or so to see if any forum readers think of anything I ought to look into again before proceeding. Otherwise, I simply have to turn in for tonight for upcoming departure in the AM. Thanks for having a look at my forum-thread!

Best to all, as always, and see you next time I hope!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:13 am 

Looking good! I recommend connecting drives_0 and drive_1 (notice leading zero) to port_0 and port_1 I connect non raid drives and ODD's to the last connectors. I label the cables and drives as port 0, cable 0 and drive 0 and also for port 1, cable 1 and drive 1 to avoid confusion on a failed drive.

This thing is going to be a beast! So please dont just use it for addictive flash games!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:02 am 

Mr. Bill

If all components work and the cables prevail I believe you passed the newbie stage and have become a system builder. You have patiently pursued each stage of the build and provided a coherent journal in the process (not many newbies have done that). Good work all around. Some might have been critical in the components you chose (the case, heat sink, etc.) but that is what makes each building experience unique. What you have put together is an awesome machine that will give you a platform that is state of the art and provide opportunities for future upgrades. Congratulations.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:40 pm 

jheveran wrote:
Some might have been critical in the components you chose (the case, heat sink, etc.) but that is what makes each building experience unique. What you have put together is an awesome machine that will give you a platform that is state of the art and provide opportunities for future upgrades. Congratulations.

Seconded :)

Not many people start with an expensive S1366 build either! This PC is a P4 3.2GHz and is fine for the web, my main "game" machine (E8400@ 4.00GHz) hardly ever gets started, too nice to burn out on a web page!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:05 am 

Hello everyone,

Yours truly has returned from a truly excellent out of town journey over the weekend. With no 5:30 AM 'er either today or tomorow morning, today is officially power-up day. Yes sir ladies and gentlemen, the time is at hand and we shall see if this here new machine is ready for the big leagues. The esteemed Mr. jheveran and the honorable Mr. David McMahon have issued some congratulations that I do hope are not premature. I am inclined to graduate myself from newbie status as well, but not until we are up and running here today. Mr. David McMahon advises against flash games, and indeed we will have to see if we can do better. A little Nethack anyone? This here machine shall run Nethack like no other. Funny how the entire video gaming industry, with all of their monster graphics cards and intense video display capabilities, are still somewhat fruitlessly chasing the true excellence of the almighty Nethack. DYWYPI? I do hope it will still run, as I have feared it could have been written in 16-bit, which I understand would no longer work if so. Years ago I had another visit to the world of Nethack and found some fool had transformed the game into a tile display. Never. ASCII is the only way to do it.

But I digress. Time to see what is on the table for today. First up is a trip to HomeDepot for a board. I will be setting up in the side-room initially, but the machine will lie on carpet wherever it is. The power suppy fan facing out from the bottom of the case, and I want to be sure room is available for that fan to operate. I will see if I can find a suitably sized board to use underneath the machine so the fan will not be operating on carpet. Then we will be off. What I am expecting today:

1. Double check on wire connections, whether they re all in place and snugly attached.

2. Placement of all remaining panels to the chasis tower.

3. Setting up for the monitor, keyboard, mouse.

4. Power up with an initial look at the BIOS settings, assuming I can get to the BIOS settings.

5. Operation of performing the BIOS flash. I do not recall offhand the options for doing this but I know where to look for that information.

6. A more detailed BIOS review, following "How to Build a PC with Scott Mueller" and sections from URMW and URPC if I recall. The array will be set up here. Extra note to make sure the RAM is functioning at 1066 MHz 1.5v.

7. A flagged entry to look into further. It is still unclear to me just how much driver work needs to be done. The graphics card will need an updated driver clearly, but presumably I may need to attend to an array of others. Some may need to be attended to before the dreaded windows installation potentially. I will need to figure out what is on the disc that came with the motherboard (see above for a photo) around or about this stage.

8. The dreaded windows install. Target for the installation will be the RAID 0 array of 2x 640 GB hard drives. I will need to make sure the external hard drive has been set up at this point so that it gets formatted and partitioned correctly. My default assumption is that I should not need any fancy partitioning work since I will not be using any other operating system than windows 7. I would guess that one standard NTFS partition at all option entries would be fine. I will need to follow along with URMW through the process to figure out what the selection choices are during the installation. Hopefully the system will take care of the external hard drive as well. I am hoping the 1.5 TB esata external drive can back up both the RAID 0 array and the 160 GB extra drive from November's kaput machine as well. I have to figure out though whether I need a partition of some kind on the external hard drive to do this. Maybe a partition with one side backing up the RAID 0 array and the other the 160 GB drive. Hopefully some such thing will not be necessary.

9. Drivers again. How many will need attending to? I still do not know.

10. I think we should be good to go at this point, if I succeed in getting there. The remianing item will be connecting the old 160 GB machine, figuring out what I want to keep from that disck, copying it and cleaning/erasing the drive. I will want to get Windows XP off of it at tnay rate. Perhaps there is some method by which I could uninstall or erase Windows XP from that drive without needing to wipe the entire drive clean, but that sort of thing must be determined when I get to that step.

Somehow or another (I do not know how that happened) I have come to possess a copy of the video entertainment industry's "Chrysis" shooting game. I suspect that may become number 11 if I get that far. A readin and study of URMW is on the table too, but realistically I will be lucky to make it rhough step 10 this afternoon, given how slowly I tend to approach these things.

ok. Off to Home Depot and Starbucks, see you when I return and we will be off on official powering-on day. If anybody sees anything helpful to add about the attended agenda, please do let me know. See everyone soon I hope, and best to all as always.

Last edited by Mr. Bill on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:05 pm 

Mr. Bill wrote:
6. A more detailed BIOS review, following "How to Build a PC with Scott Mueller" and sections from URMW and URPC if I recall. The array will be set up here. Extra note to make sure the RAM is functioning at 1066 MHz 1.5v.

the RAID 0 array of 2x 640 GB hard drives.

1, If your memory is listed higher than 1.5v don't try to run it at 1.5v! But whatever settings you use, consult Motherboard and memory instructions. Test with Memtest or Windows Memory Diagnostic

Please use Raid 1! Will make much more sense in the end! Or possibly buy another drive (identical please!) and use Raid 5 , or even Raid 10 that Scott recommends :)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:34 pm 

Hello Mr. David McMahon, great to see you here today. I have returned with the necessary board after patronizing Starbucks and perusing the newspapers. Wire check and panel placements upcoming.

You are concerned about the voltage numbers for the RAM modules, recommending use per module specifications. That has not been my intention. The module is rated for 1600 MHz 1.65v but I have not planned on using those figures. The intention has been to run them for now at the JEDEC standard 1066 MHz 1.5v, this processor being specified for 1066 MHz rather than 1333. I have thought about doing some frequency timing adjustmensts later on after studying the system's timing mechanisms again. Some posting and discussion about that in an overclocking thread I opened a while ago and in the first thread for the 1st-time builder's log. The main way to make frequncy adjustments if and when I decide to do that is to adjust the base clock, and adjusting that clock entails adjustments to more or less every other timing mechanism too. The point of obtaining a 1600 MHz 1.65v module is to enable higher base clock adjustments somewhere or another down the line if I decide to do that. It would probably be quite some while before I aim to go higher than 3.5 GHz on the processor speed, if I ever decide to do that, but if and when I do the necessary base clock adjustment would push the RAM speed beyond 1333 MHz (the highest JEDEC standard as I recall). Basic RAM modules for 1333 MHz 1.5v were selling for $168 at the time of RAM purchase, and the uber-RAM I picked up came on sale for $160. Essentially I paid a negative $8 premium for the ability to exceed 1333 MHz if and/or when I might decide to try that (in all likelihood years down the line when the processor becomes outdated, to extend the life of the machine). The 3rd party heatsink was acquired for $20, which means that in total I obtained the heatsink + uberRAM overclocking capability for a $12 premium in total. Quite satisfactory, and the reason in part for departing from the honorable Mr. Mueller's recommendations. The financing simply came out right to obtain overclocking capability for minimal expenditure. I have not been intended to mess with anythihg like that though for some while. Maybe in late July or August after studying URMW followed by investigations of timing mechanisms, but certainly not before. The processor is fairly high up there technologically right now, so the performance benefits of changin timing frequencies would probably be rather minimal at the moment. At any rate though I have intended to run the modules at standard specifications of 1066 MHz 1.5v for now. No need to deviate unless it is genuinely necessary. You are thinking they should not be run at those figures though? For now I will just see what the default settings are when the BIOS is up and take it from there. My assumption is that the BIOS will test for capability at the specified standard of 1066 MHz 1.5v, and will probably run the RAM at those numbers unless or until it is changed manually. If it does do that, as I am hoping that it will, my intention has been to leave those settings alone.

As for the RAID array I have been intending to run it at RAID 0. November's kaput machine at 160 GB had 70-90 GB remaining on it when the machine went kaput. Whatever was on it did not matter so much to me it seems, as I made no effort to reaquire it. All my critically important files are text files, which I save duplicated on a flash drive and an email account. That stuff is always safe. Everything else I have ever used thus far I can loose without being too concerned about it, though I hate to loose whatever videos I can find of historical and current political events. Between saving the important stuff on the RAID array, on the 160 GB independant drive, and backed up on the external drive both times, it seems pretty secure to me. Plus the fact that the files that really matter (text files) will also be printed up for hardcopy backup, on both the RAID array and the 160 GB drive, copied on the external backupo hard drive, on a flash drive, in my own email account, and copied again to my father's email address. He knows next to nothing about computer matters and rarely uses a computer, but periodically I sent files with attachments to him for extra extra backup. I taught him to copy them onto a file I put on his computer as a duplicate emergency backup to my own flash drive, email account, and so forth. RAID 0 remains the default intent in light of these things unless you believe the data will still be insufficiently secure. As for what I will do with 640 GB of hard drive memory (times 2 in a RAID array minus unit-of-measurent differences) I have no idea. Maybe we will have a 300 GB page file or something ludicrous like that. They say if you have the memory space you will grow into using it, but I am at a loss as to how that might happen.

Anyhow, we will see if there are more comments incoming as we proceed to checking wires, attaching panels, and having a look at the monitor and so on. I have not as yet opened the monitor box. See everyone in a bit I hope.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:04 pm 

Hello there Mr. Bill

I have been following your thread with interest over the last few weeks (more from the wing as they say) and i am impressed so far. You certainly have jumped in at the deep end and i think that when you finish this build you will have gained a lot of experience. The only thing i dont like is the way the input/output shield has finished. I hope you dont have any problems inserting the keyboard and mouse fully in their sockets and for that matter any USB cables.Have you tried to connect the above mentioned components already just to see ?

Looking forward to see how the installation of the operating system and software goes - All the best

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:49 pm 

Mr. Bill wrote:

You are concerned about the voltage numbers for the RAM modules, recommending use per module specifications. That has not been my intention. The module is rated for 1600 MHz 1.65v but I have not planned on using those figures. The intention has been to run them for now at the JEDEC standard 1066 MHz 1.5v, this processor being specified for 1066 MHz rather than 1333. I have thought about doing some frequency timing adjustmensts later on after studying the system's timing mechanisms again. .

You have to run that memory at its rated voltage. You have to manually change the voltage in the cmos. This is why Scott does not recommend non-standard memory. Heres a link to a thread that will explain more,

http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1426&hilit=non+standard+memory

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:18 pm 

Hello again everyone,

I am back on the forums here this evening. My deepest welcome to Mr. JohnnyB. It is great to have you on my forum-thread and I hope that you will continue to check in. Good to see Mr. FatGuy and Mr. David McMahon here again as well.

Alright then, where are we? After attending to various matters throughout the day we should be all set up to go. Panels replaced, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and esata drive out and read, all devices wired up as needed, with moth the monitor and computer plugged into the socket on the wall. The button on the power supply has been set to its "on" position, and in short the time is at hand I do believe.

Some pictures from various points in the afternoon:

In a last picture here you can see the open-air bezel on the side panel:

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:21 pm 

Ah Mr. Lexx is here! (showing up in the user's on the forum listing). Want to hang around for a bit Mr. Lexx? Power-on coming up just after I finish bringing the thread up-to-date.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:32 pm 

Ok. That brings us to the monitor. Quite an impressive and nice-looking device. From the box to some set-up:

I am afraid that I have not been able to adequately capture the final external appearance of our monitor. For some reason the digital camera will not sufficiently register the nice finish, especially around the edges. When I have tried to capture it closer and better the camera insists on using its flash, and the flash reflects off of either the finish or the surface (leading to the picture being discarded). It does however have quite a nice physical appearance and finish to it. When handling the monitor it is clear that our ASUS company took measures to keep the price down. It is lighter than what one would expect, and even feels somewhat flimsy in certain respects. Physical feel and visual appearance however have been kept nicely distinct. Any user not physically touching the monitor itself would insist from visual appearance alone that it was 1st-class. In Mr. Bill's view, if it looks like it has class people say that it has class, then it does indeed have class. Our monitor then has the physical appearance of having been considerably more expensive than what was actually paid for it.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:45 pm 

What a bummer, it seems that Mr. Lexx had to go...

ok, our uber-mouse came to the fore:

followed by the esata external hard drive:

As it happens the external hard drive is the only product in the bunch that I ended up paying face value for. It was the last to be purchased so I simply decided to pick it up and call an end to the parts acquisition phase. $120. As for the uber-mouse device it looks like a somewhat fancy mouse to me I suppose. I do not know that I would have paid $60-whatever dollars for it without picking it up gratis, but $100 free shipping for the case and mouse combined looks good to me. We will have to see what spectacular whatnots the uber-mouse turns out able to perform. In the manual and around the box CoolerMaster claims an association between the mouse with a storm, which I suppose is fine enough (it is called the "Storm Sentinel" after all), but other than the name I fail to see how a storm and this here mouse are significantly related to one another. For that matter I am not so clear about the chasis either. CoolerMaster proclaims that the case has been "inspired by military weapons" across the box and in other places. Perhaps it was maybe; when it comes down to it I am not familiar enough with military weapons to know. I must say though familiar or not with such things, the case looks more like a computer case to me than a military weapon. Likewise the mouse looks more like a mouse than a storm. No matter though. I suppose the marketing folks need something to do. Here's to hoping the engineering guys are a bit more down to earth though.

Last edited by Mr. Bill on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:50 pm 

And here we are then, everything in place:

Boxes, unused cables, foam packaging, garbage, and all other such things have been cleared away, stored or discarded. Nothing more to connect or to hook up, nothing more to be done. As Mr. Bill would put it: nothing left for the doing other than the doing of the deed. Power button here we come...here's to hoping we get to the BIOS sometime soon...

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:23 pm 

Voila!

Ladies and gentlemen: we have a Basic Input-Output System up and running:

There it is. Strnage message popping up on the way in: "no hard drive detected...no processor detected" but hard to say what is up with that yet. The sytem is recognizing the two 640 GB drives and the CD drive. It does not recognize the external hard drive at the moment. Perhaps that device needs a driver or some other such thing. LED's on the hard drive are not coming on either. It flashes but goes off, when it looks like the light is intended to stay on. Well, for the moment anyway it is time to look around in the BIOS.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:37 pm 

I turned the external hard drive off and on, then restarted into the BIOS using Control-alt-delete. The system recognizes the external hard drive now, which is good. SATA 4 is empty, so that would be the 160 GB drive currently not connected. We have a processor too:

All things considered, that's pretty good. I have not figured out yet whether we have any RAM.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:45 pm 

Yep, looks like we have some system memory.

That is probably all to the best as well I take it.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:00 pm 

The DRAM frequency is at 1066 MHz. That much I can see. I have not figured out what the current voltage setting is, but I will leave that go for now. A BIOS flash update is required, so on to figuring out how to flash the BIOS.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:06 pm 

CPU temperature is 31.5 C in the BIOS, MB temperature 28 C. Whether this is good or not I do not know, but I can see it.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:26 pm 

Mr. Bill wrote:
The DRAM frequency is at 1066 MHz. That much I can see. I have not figured out what the current voltage setting is, but I will leave that go for now. A BIOS flash update is required, so on to figuring out how to flash the BIOS.

Best to only flash the Bios if absolutely necessary!

Saw you mentioned a 300GB Page file, erm NO!!!!! lol Im sure W7 is set to use System managed, which is good :)

As for drives not appearing, you need to set the BIOS to RAID Mode I'll dig out the correct page in the manual once I have slept! 04:24AM here and not slept "Tonight" Having fun with RAID Myself, the drive on port 0 keeps failing Grrr, trying port 4 and 5 now (Port's 2and3 have the ODD's attached)

I'm hoping it was just a bad cable or port, gahh!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:34 pm 

I have found what looks to be the latest BIOS:

BIOS 0303

but installation instructions are not forthcoming. From what I can tell there is a way to do this using a USB flash drive. Motherboard manual refers to an "ASUS EZ Flash 2". I do have a USB flash drive, so my initial thinking is that this would be the way to go. One way to do it might be to copy the file onto the USB flash drive and then try to start the utility from inside the BIOS that is active on the screen now. Another would be to copy the file onto the flash drive, turn off the computer and insert the flash drive, followed by turning the computer on again. Which is the correct way to do it I am in the process of attempting to ascertain. How it could work though is a mystery to me: I am pretty sure the USB flash drive had to install a driver before it would work on the old machine or on this one. That would suggest it could not be done from a USB flash drive without a driver, and of course no such driver has been loaded onto the new machine by me as of yet.

I suppose another way would be to burn the file onto a CD, but I have never burned anything onto a CD before. Probably not all that difficult though, and I do have blank CDs on hand.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:42 pm 

Dang thing is a compressed ZIP file. Mr. Bill may be system building and researching and reading advanced UR training manuals, but Mr. Bill has no idea what a ZIP file is. Well technically I guess I do: it is a file that has been compressed in some way. That would suggest that one ought to uncompress the file before using it. Sounds good in theory, but how to do that will require some research into.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:57 pm 

Well I clicked on the file and found an "extract" function. Running that function I have a new file now it seems. Type: ROM file, SIZE: 2048 KB. Could that be it? 2 MB file is pretty small, and it is kind of hard to figure why one would have bothered to compress that. BIOS programs could be small files though. If it were an ISO file that would suggest burning it onto a CD, but all it says is type ROM. We do seem to be getting somewhere though.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:01 pm 

P6x58D-E-ASUS-0303.ROM

There is function button "burn" on hand. Perhaps that would be a reasonable thing to do.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:13 pm 

Ah, page 328 of URPC's. Now we are in business methinks.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 pm 

Mr. Bill

I don't believe you have to worry about updating your BIOS at this moment. When you have your OS functioning and you use the Support DVD disk that came with the MB you will then be able to install a utility that will help you update your BIOS.

The ASUS Update utility will allow you to:
Save your current BIOS
Download the latest BIOS file from the Internet
Update the BIOS from an updated BIOS file
Update the latest BIOS directly from the Internet

The Support DVD also has a copy of the original BIOS that you can use to install by simply inserting the disk and booting the machine. If you run into problems updating your BIOS.

Last edited by jheveran on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 pm 

Hmmm. That was not so helpful. The indicated method for using a CD to perform a BIOS flash says we should have a .iso file. We do not have one of those it seems, what we have is a .rom file. We do have this screen on the build-in-progress machine though:

That would suggest buring the .rom file onto a CD and running the ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility (the instruction refer to this utility). The motherboard manual says you should use a "USB flash disk." That would suggest copyiong the file onto a USB flash drive and running the utility. Sounds reasonable to me I suppose, but the new machine should not have the driver required to use the USB flash drive, so far as I know.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:41 pm 

Ah, Mr. jheveran is here. Good to see you. The suggestion is to skip the BIOS update for now and use the motherboard CD to accomplish it later. That may well be a sensible thing to do. I was hoping to be able to proceed from the bottom-up as it were. Go ahead and get the BIOS to 0303 before changing any settings therein or otherwise moving on into the Windows installation. From what I understand updating the BIOS is not something you usually need or have to do for ordinary maintanence. Mr. McMahon even seems to be suggesting not doing it to begin with, which could be an option. I have hoped to handle it "way down under" so to speak, before dealing with RAID arrays, enabling/disabling whatever I may need to, installing windows and/or anything else. Just get it done with from the start. You could be right though, I am not so sure one way or another.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm 

Mr. Bill wrote:
Hmmm. That was not so helpful. The indicated method for using a CD to perform a BIOS flash says we should have a .iso file. We do not have one of those it seems, what we have is a .rom file. We do have this screen on the build-in-progress machine though:

That would suggest buring the .rom file onto a CD and running the ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility (the instruction refer to this utility). The motherboard manual says you should use a "USB flash disk." That would suggest copyiong the file onto a USB flash drive and running the utility. Sounds reasonable to me I suppose, but the new machine should not have the driver required to use the USB flash drive, so far as I know.

You won't need a driver for the flash drive. Besides the utility wouldn't be running under windows.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:06 pm 

Ah, many thanks Mr. FatGuy. The following procedure has been conducted: all files on my flash drive copied onto this computer for reserve, all files in flash drive deleted, blahblah0303.rom copied onto the flash drive. I will now be putting the flash drive into the new machine and starting the utility from the screen shown above. From that point I am hoping the instructions in the motherboard manual can take us the rest of the way.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:10 pm 

Just make sure you follow the instructions to the "T.". You don't want to mess up a bios flash. It could turn your pc into a doorstop or "brick".

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:21 pm 

Ok. On the first attempt the utility could not see the flash drive. I backed out of the utility, exited the BIOS program and restarted with Control-Alt-Delete. Starting the BIOS program again followed by the EZ Flash Utility, the USB flash drive was recognized and the file was present therein. When I selected the file the utility ran a review program of some kind examining the file, and now it has displayed the following screen:

I am assuming the system knows everything is good to go, as this screen would not have been displayed unless the examination of the file indicated everything was in order for a BIOS flash to proceed. So the blahblah.rom file is what it is supposed to be, insofar as it is a file from which BIOS flash procedures can proceed. If I am understanding the motherboard manual correctly there is nothing further I will need to do after selecting "yes" as indicated. The flash will proceed until complete and the system will then restart itself. "EZ" indeed I hope.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:47 pm 

Voila. We are now using version 0303:

Operation of flashing the BIOS is complete. I will now be configuring the RAID array and enabling/disabling or otherwise adjusting BIOS setting as need be. For this I will be following along with the section on the CD "How To Build a PC with Scott Mueller," that selection premade and ready to play on the computer I am sitting in front of now. Pg. 1030 of URPC's is also in front of me for this. So onwards we go. I will be online I expect for the next several hours.

On a side note I have checked the fan operations on the computer tower. The side bezel is open air as I have mentioned before, and I declined to place the 3rd 200 mm fan onto that bezel. The manual has the fan attached to that side bezel blowing air onto the motherboard but I decided for now not to use it. There is a clear draft into the tower that you can feel by simply placing a hand over the open-air bezel. So it seems the fan may well be unecessary as I suspected. A 200mm fan on the top is blowing air out of the case, as well as the combo fans on the heatsink and abov e the input-output panel also blowing air out. These fans together create a natural downdraft into the open-air side bezel, hopefully making the 3rd fan moot. At the moment anyway it appears the decision to set that fan aside was fine, as a natural draft into the side bezel can be felt by hand. The knob for adjusting fan speed on the front panel (top panel in this model) is not working at the moment, but from what I can tell the setting is currently disabled in the BIOS, which explains that. It will be one of several things to look into as we proceed into the BIOS settings. I declined to adjust anything the first time until the BIOS flash operation was completed, which it now is.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 am 

Ok. I have made my way through the BIOS settings using the motherboard manual and pgs. 1030-1031 of URPCs. Some notes about the BIOS look-through:

The BIOS settings are not showing RAM voltage. In my initial scan I did not see any such information, and after walking through it with the motherboard manual at hand I still do not see anything about it. There is an "ai tweaker" menu with an option to manually change the voltage settings, and if I chose that option perhaps it would tell me what the settings currently are. For the moment I have left it alone at "auto." Otherwise there is no indication about RAM voltage settings, which confuses me.

I saw no options for disabling ports or devices that will not be used (as per pg. 1030 of URPCs). Again this seems rather strange, but I do not see any such options.

I set "configure SATA as" to RAID, and upon doing so no information appears on the main screen on the sata ports. It indicated before that there were 2 640 GB hard drives and an external hard drive (as it was supposed to indicate), but there are no entries for the sata ports at all after changing this setting. I do not know why, but I still have to access the controller to set of the RAID array. Maybe the listings will reappear after attending to that, but as of now no information about the sata ports appears any more on the main screen. Strange.

"Hard Disk write protect" is disabled by default, and I am inclined to enable it. I am not entirely sure what that entry is for though, so for the moment I have left it alone.

An option to let the operating system configure plug and play devices itself was disabled. I went ahead and enabled that.

The chipset configuration menu had no option for HPET (High Precision event timer as per pg. 1030 of URPCs). If I have to manually enable that therefore I have not done so.

Virtualization technology appeared somewhere other than the security tab, but following 1030 of URPCs I enabled it anyway.

The ACPI suspend state is set to Auto. URPC's recommends setting it to S3, but the option to do that says "S3 only." I left it at Auto for now, with a flag to look into that one again later. Hopefully "Auto" will still use S3 as appropriate, but URPC may effectively have been recommending the "S3 only" option. I am not sure on that.

It looks like I need to re-order the boot sequence so the optical disk appears first. I have not yet done that. This is recommended on 1030 of URPC for operating system installs.

The motherboard manual says something about needing to create a floppy disk with a RAID driver if you intend to install Windows on a RAID array. I am sure hoping this is nonsense with Windows 7, as I do not have any way of creating a floppy disk.

My understanding at the moment is that I will need to load drivers off of the CD that came with the motherboard just after installing Windows. So we will have Windows followed by getting online and installing the updates, followed by the motherboard disk and drivers for mouse, GPU card, and headset sound presumably.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:05 am 

The RAID array has been created in the controller screen. I used 64 sized sectors. After restarting and re-entering the BIOS setup though, there is still no information about the SATA ports. Very strange it seems to me. The SATA 1-6 entries should still be there I am inclined to think, but they are not. The BIOS system says nothing about hard drives or optical drives recognized as present on the SATA ports.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:38 am 

Entries no longer appear for the SATA ports:

They were there before, prior to changing from IDE to RAID in the relevant setting:

If anyone out there happens to know why, I would not object to becoming enlightened about the matter.

A look at the Matrix Storage Manager setup:

There being not much else to do, I will proceed on the assumption that there is a reason why the SATA port information has dissappeared. We shall attempt to install Windows 7 on the RAID 0 array and see how that goes.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:58 am 

Windows Installation proceeding. No hassles as of yet about missing RAID drivers. Everything looks good to go at the moment, so far as I can see. The monitors resolution has not yet improved. Still looks primitive. I am assuming though that that will change in due time.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:11 am 

Ergh, so much for easy. We were doing so well too. The general procedure:

We come to the following screen, which looks to lie between steps 12 and 13 from URMW pg. 160:

The system wants to restart, which is otherwise quite fine. When it does restart though we move through a BIOS page and a Marvell controller page to end up with a blank screen that has a flashing cursor in the upper left-hand corner. No action. I tried control-alt-del to give it another go but we end up right back with the flashing cursor screen.

Trying another way, there is a boot configuration F8 option on the BIOS screen. So I went into there. We can try to boot out of the CD optical drive or out of the RAID0 hard drive. Booting out of the CD drive starts the whole process over again. Windows complains that there are already installation files or some such thing ongoing, says it will put them in an "old" folder, and when you move along you come back to the restart page followed by the flashing cursor business again. This option looks therefore to be starting the installation process all over, and brings things back where they started.

Booting out of the hard drive puts a blank screen on the monitor with the flashing cursor again in the left-hand corner. It looks like the system wants to proceed by booting up through the hard drive but cannot do so, and when it does not do so we end up with the flashing cursor for one reason or another.

My read is that Windows 7 has not resolved the need for the RAID driver in order to install Windows onto a RAID array. Quite unfortunate. The only indicated method in the motherboard manual to get around this problem is somewhat absurd. Indications are that you need to create a floppy disk with the driver on it, but it is somewhat unclear why the manual would instruct one to do that. An inference to the conclusion that the user of a P6x58D-E motherboard may not have access to floppy drive capabilities should be somewhat straightforward insofar as there is no floppy drive connector on the motherboard. Our authors are inclined to skip over that I guess by referencing a USB floppy drive controller, but the fact that a reader of the manual may well not have one of those should not have escaped the attention of our motherboard manual writers.

So it seems that we are stuck. As best I can tell we will need the relevant RAID driver in order to proceed, but how to deal with that is unknown at this time. Easy it was not destined to be. Too late at night (morning now really) to continue, so troubleshooting will have to proceed tomorow.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:11 am 

Mr Bill,

The following link thoroughly explains how to setup a RAID on an ASUS MB. The BIOS in the tutorial is older than yours, however, you should find the tutorial useful.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/393

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:04 am 

I'm not sure what the problem is but I am positive it has nothing to do with a raid driver. You may want to check the cmos again and check the boot priority section. I would have the optical drive set as first and your raid set as second. You see after you created the stripe set you should have gone back into the cmos to change the boot priority settings again. Now when you go in there there should be a different option as far as all the devices you can boot from. That would be your stripe set or raid zero configuration. This is because after you set up raid your 2 physical drives in the raid set those two drives will be counted as one logical drive.

Anyway I would check this first, otherwise ask for more help here in the forum. Scott would know right off the bat, but then again he "wrote the book".....I'm just giving it my best guess for now.

Last edited by FatGuy on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:11 pm 

you need to load your video card drivers off the cd
then restart you may need to download
net framework 2 if it is a ati card karl

windows 7 should do it all automatic

when you conect to the internet so i hear karl.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:17 pm 

karl@hull wrote:
you need to load your video card drivers off the cd
then restart you may need to download
net framework 2 if it is a ati card karl

No need to load video card drivers till after windows is installed and after chipset drivers have been installed. It wouldn't be possible to load drivers before windows is installed neither does it make any sense .Net of course wouldn't/can't be loaded till windows was installed.

Last edited by FatGuy on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:19 pm 

Try removing that 1.5TB?!? Drive b4 install

To reinstall you need to delete the "old" partitions on the drive, set up RAID on the BIOS as bootable, erm more will come to mind later I will prolly edit this post and not add to it, im sure you are not far anyway so dont panic

The Marvell controller should not come up as you are using the Intel ICH10R Disk/Disc controller, possibly trying to boot off a marvel Network controller, so go into BIOS settings and set to boot off

**CD/DVD**
**Hard Disk**

I disable the rest, I'm thinking the machine is trying to boot off the network card, like in a dumb terminal, or tightly controlled corporate machine

p.s Graphics resolution normally will sort itself after correct driver installed

Here is Link for ATI driver page (they wont allow a direct download

Last edited by David McMahon on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:22 pm 

nice one fatguy,
thanks karl.
windows first obviously, then chipset drivers offf the motherboard cd,
network drivers, raid drivers, audio drivers, ect,

that is a nice computer,
well done,top marks....
mr bill is cool

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:04 pm 

Hello again everyone,

My deepest appreciations for all incoming comments offering assistance from this afternoon and earlier in the morning. I expect to be underway once again in about an hour or so. While I have grown somewhat tired of 2nd-hand take-out food of late in the build project, I want to get underway again with minimal delays so we will be patronizing the local pizza joint once again. After the food matter is cleared away we will be up and running again.

First task to attend to will be checking the boot sequence as it currently stands. I had made a note to check on that when going through the BIOS last night, but did not follow through after te hours grew late. Several commentators suspect that may be the source of the difficulty, so target #1 will be to have a look at that and attend to any advisable changes in the boot order. Stop #2 will be a reading of the article referenced by our most helpful researcher, the esteemed Mr. jheveran. The thorough commentary on setting up RAID arrays with an ASUS motherboard should get us in comprehension position to proceed (I hope anyway) with minimal further hurdles to cross. When those matters are completed I am hoping we can get past the strange obstacle that appeared so late last night (or early this morning, depending on one's point of view).

If and when that obstacle is overcome the tasks look to be reasonably straightforward. After the initial install it will be necessary to verify that the firewall is working, and if so to obtain internet access. All drivers and associated installs from the motheboard CD will need to go in, followed by drivers for the mouse, graphics card, and headphone set. As for the mouse I have never needed to look into drivers for that kind of thing before, but this is an uber-mouse and it seems to come with a CD that I assume would have a driver on it. So I will need to get online and check in on that. The headphone set is a strange combination device: it has a USB soundcard of some kind built in to it, which I assume would likely need a driver as well. I have not opened the headset package at this time, but when we get there I assume a CD with a driver would be in there. We will need to check on the internet for the best updated version there too.

Beyond this it will be time to check in with Microsoft for any service packs and/or windows 7 updates. I assume there will likely be a good number of those, and bringing everything up-to-date will likely require some investment of time in downloading and installing time. Mr. Bill spends a great deal of time working with text documents as well, so installing the most up-to-date version of Adobe Acrobat reader will presumably be on the docket.

Alright then, that looks to be the basic gameplan. It assumes being able to get past the strange obstacle from late last night, but we should be seeing how that goes in around about an hour or so.

See everyone then I hope! All the best, as always.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:52 pm 

Mr.Bill, no need to read more on setting up a raid array. You have already done that and there is no problem with it judging by your screen shots. If you wanted to learn more about it I would read that section in your motherboard book since that would be targeted towards your motherboard of course and not just a generalized article on Asus motherboard raid configuration. That will just take extra time and may actually complicate things on your end.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:02 pm 

Hello again everyone,

I am back at it with troubleshooting for the Windows 7 installation difficulties. I read throught he article referenced earlier concerning setup for RAID0 arrays on an ASUS motherboard, and it offered a pretty good overview in a concise amount of space. The article verifies that much of the procedure conducted from last night was correct. We have a discussion of what to do with Windows XP installations, wherein the peculiar procedure for installing a driver during installation of the operating system was evidently necessary. The article says nothing one way or another regarding Windows Vista or 7 however, so the issue of whether a missing driver could be causing the present difficulties remains unknown. Parties contributing to the forum lean towards the position that a missing driver of this kind is unlikely to be the source of the problem. The article also gives no indication about why entries for the sata connections no longer appear on the main page of the BIOS program. I have been assuming there is a reason for this and simply proceeding, but I have wondered from time to time what may be going on with that loose end.

The second toipic to pursue was the boot drive priority list, and here we could be encountering the source of the problem. Current settings for this matter:

These settings are contrary to what is advised, both in the forum contributions and in URMW. The obvious next path in troubleshooting therefore is to correct the settings and attempt installation anew. I will be proceeding now in this direction.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:35 pm 

Quote:
Ah Mr. Lexx is here!

:D :D :D
hehehe I'm back. I have to catch up on this. Bill you've done really nice, far more patient and planned than I ever did. Now, back to reading what happened -- seems some kind of issue came up for you fellas. I skipped down here to poast hello.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:41 pm 

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen: we have a Basic Input-Output System up and running:

Done! The rest is fluff. There may be alot of hair pulling to come, but you got the bone. Remember the scene in Apollo 13 movie where they get the command module computer up and running and everybody like PARTY....Bill you got BIOS...!!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:44 pm 

Great to see you Mr. Lexx! So nice to have you on my forum-thread here tonight.

Our new settings:

I wanted #1 CD, #2 RAID, #3 Rem. Dev but for some reason the system resists giving me this configuration. So we will be going with the above. First move is to save changes and exit. I will try a Control-alt-del reboot to see if the installation simply proceeds from where it left off last night or not. If not we will start installation anew and see if the system hangs up again after the restart step.

As for "Removable Dev." I am not sure what that may be referring to. It could be the external hard drive, but in that case I would be inclined to expect an entry for Samsung such-and-so. It may be referring to a USB device potentially. No matter though, we shall proceed as stated.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:57 pm 

The system did not continue installation on its own, so the installation program has been started anew. We are back on the following screen:

Will the program actually restart the machine and continue installation in a reasonably cooperative manner? Hold on to your seat belts gentleman, we are going to find out one way or another I gather..

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:04 pm 

If I recall, it reboots once or twice during installation. Time to relax, eat some pizza.

Can Windows get installed on the removable drive? I've read Windows is best loaded with only one hard drive installed -- the Windows drive -- in your case the RAID which is like one hard drive I *think* and that's my problem. I've never use RAID, and I never will, and I know nothing about it, and I don't ever want to. I'm just watching here now.

Over the years, I've only installed Windows with one hard drive connected up, later plugging back in additional drives (no RAID lol).

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:06 pm 

Bill you should be able to remove "removable device" from the boot list. Also you should disconnect your removable hard drive during installation of windows. In fact I would disconnect it now until you actually need to use it. External hard drives are not actually meant to stay connected. You just use it when you need it and then disconnect. So I hope this second time around you have the external drive disconnected. Since the other internal drive you had left over is disconnected you would only have one place to install windows which would limit any confusion for you.

Last edited by FatGuy on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 pm 

Negative. Report forthcoming after a photobucket drop. Installation fails to proceed after system restart.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:10 pm 

Ah, hello gentlemen. I did not see your entries there. I suppose we have a new troubleshooting proceudre on the line then: take the removable device out of the list and disconnect the external drive. Then attempt installation again. Photobucket drop coming up. MrBillUR on photobucket. Uploads are slow though.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:34 pm 

Ok. Let us see what transpired here. Slow internet connection tonight.

Boot priority list:

Installation steps:

I opted to press nothing during system restart. We cycle poast a BIOS page and a RAID controller page into the last screen listed. URMW specifically says that if you are prompted to boot from CD do *not* press anything, as installation should proceed from hard drive. System hangs on the final screen indicated. After 3-5 minutes or so I went ahead and pressed a button to see what would happen, but there is no system action in response to pressing of buttons. No response to input at the stage of the final screen.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 pm 

My default hypothesis about this: installation should be proceeding from the RAID drives. In between CD/DVD and the RAID drives is the unknown "Removable device". Removable device may be referring to USB devices or to the external hard drive perhaps. Either way system could be attempting to proceed from "removable device," finding nothing there, and getting stuck thereby. Could be the source of the problem perhaps. Next indication to eliminate this hypothesis is to disconnect the external hard drive, try and remove "Removable device" from the boot priority list, and attempt installation again.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 pm 

External hard drive disconnected:

New boot priority sequence:

Attempting installation again. Installation procedure in progress with sequence listed abov. No external hard drive connected.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:13 pm 

Looks like that should work Bill. Hey Bill you should really read over the bios section of the motherboard manual. Here is a link to your motherboard support with drivers, manuals and anything else,

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I couldn't get the direct link you will have to enter your model name and operating system.

Last edited by FatGuy on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:15 pm 

"Expanding Windows Files" at 65%. Restart approaching...

I have the motherboard manual in front of me.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:18 pm 

Installation proceeds past hang up point. Looks like we may have it here!! Whooohooo!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:23 pm 

Automated sequence continuing. "Completing installation..."

Looks like you got it Mr. FatGuy. My deepest appreciations to you for hanging around about with me today.

Uh oh. System restart again...but I think the automation has it this time..

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 pm 

We are past the product key and time zone screens. I had to look up my time zone comically enough. Windows base screen is up now, albeit with primitive resolution. But we are clearly in business. Installation may even be complete potentially.

Resolution up to native. Motherboard CD installation of drivers and such. Drivers for mouse, headset, graphics card. I suppose I will continue with the other matters first, as the resolution may get adjusted somewhere therein. That would make the motherboard CD next, after having a brief look around.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:51 pm 

Photobucket drop starting. A look at the screens I was able to capture during installation, and the starting look of things just after install.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:52 pm 

Hey Bill if you look back at one of your earlier posts you will see you had the Samsung in the boot order. You didn't even have your Raid volume in the boot order at that point. It was probably available you just had not had it selected. The Samsung is the external hard drive. You can see this in your raid setup configuration screen forum post. Your two hard drives for raid are Western Digital not Samsung. I should have caught that right off, but alas today I am fasting for a special out patient procedure tomorrow. So to say the least I am not thinking right.

Hey Bill, don't use the cd, go to the Asus website and get the latest drivers. I put the link a few posts up. The drivers on the cd/dvd are usually outdated by the time you get them.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:57 pm 

Ah, no wonder the installation was not working. That post was just from 9:30, only just a while ago. Clearly says "RAID: SAMSUNG" which would be the external drive. I did not see it either - the eye just seemed to assume "RAID" meant the right thing in the column space. Should have seen it myself.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:16 pm 

Sheesh. Bunch of stuff in this list. Already have the BIOS update, but probably not the utility. What do I need off of this list? A whole new adventure coming up. Already ran the motherboard CD which seems to have installed this stuff. Hopefully if I download these files and run them it will account for what was already put on the machine by the motherboard CD.

Hmmm. Looks like I may have only installed the ExpressGate program. All sorts of other utilities and drivers showing up after clicking on the ASUS monikor on the new machine. A whole list of drivers and utlities in fact. Matters related to the motherboard CD it seems are also going to be a project. Drivers for everything.

ASUS website updates

I guess I have to work through this stuff. Just because I get a download file from the ASUS website will not imply in my case that I know how to open it or install it. Such is the adventure of the newbie.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:38 pm 

Ok. Hello again everyone. Like the honorable Mr. Minnesota Fats in the film, I opted to take a breather, get a shower, and head into the next stage afresh. It looks like the rest of the world is largely gone at this hour. No users appear in the forum list. For most parties tonight is no weekend night. Yours truly hits the work Thursday through Tuesday this week. So tonight is the night for computer progress here, while others are away. So it is.

The situation. On the motherboard CD there is a list of drivers and utilities to install. Some of these drivers and utilities will have updates on the ASUS website and others will not. I skipped the BIOS utility listed on the website since it indicated that a BIOS flash would be needed to install that one, and I am not interested in doing another BIOS flash right now. All other items from the ASUS website listed just above have been downloaded onto this computer. I do not know what extension those files have yet, nor do I know how to run them or install them, but we will have to figure that out. One by one we install the files from the ASUS site, taking care not to lose track of them, and whatever remains on the motherboard CD for installation will presumably not have needed to be updated yet at this time. In this way everything gets installed, updated items first followed by non-updated ones. Drivers and utilities from the motherboard CD:

I have been wondering for quite some while just how many drivers one would have to attend to on one's own machine. Much of this is presumably done already for you if you buy a Dell or whatever machine. Just how much hardware will need drivers if you do it on your own? The answer seems to be just about everything. Chipset drivers, ethernet controller drivers, basic audio drivers, USB drivers and so on. You name it, it needs a driver or has a utility somewhere. We are all fresh and ready to go though, so on to it.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:53 am 

Ok. I do think that we are making some progress here. So far as I can tell all utilities and drivers are now updated and installed. I ran into some confusion on the chipset driver. The motherboard CD has an option for "Chipset driver" but the relevent entry on the ASUS website gives us a "Chipset Software utility." Are they one and the same? After some while I settled into the conclusion that they are so far as I can tell. I think the Chipset Software utility on the updating site referenced earlier is indeed a chipset driver. Do be careful about that though gentlemen: newbies are easily confused. If it is a driver, call it a driver please if you would. Drivers and software utility programs may or may not be the same so far as a newbie can discern. I do think we have that right though now. Updated drivers and related software are also in at this time for mouse, headset, and graphics card I believe. I delayed requests for restarts untiul everything was done, and after restarting now we come up on a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. I think everything is good other than Windows updates and Adobe Acrobat reader, that I will need to attend to. Tomorow I will need to work my way through the relevant section of URMW for system refinements.

Some not-so-good news for various system designers. Mr. McMahon called my attention some while ago to the fact that I had not paid sufficient attention perhaps to keyboard matters. He was being sarcastic at the time, probably not recognizing that I had forgotten about a keyboard entirely: I did not have one. To rectify this I went out to Best Buy, only to find that most of their models were wireless. I am not interested in that kind of thing so I picked up their generic discount USB keyboard. Dynex device for $11 if I recall. Truly dreadful device. It has the worst feel of keys I can imagine, worse than I ever would have thought possible. It makes old Atari systems feel state-of-the-art it so bad. Genuinely horrendous in the worst of all possible ways. It clearly will not do: even the trash collection agencies would have nothing to do with it. I am hoping maybe Wal-Mart can do somewhat better, but if not we may have to wander out yonder to Microcenter again. The keyboard will not do.

As for Windows 7 we are in native resolution now, which does improve matters. Even with that I would have to say it is the ugliest default Windows display I can ever recall seeing. Gentlemen at Microsoft: could you truly do no better? The default display is pretty bad and the appearance of the icons is really lame. I trust we will be able to improve on these things though. A new background piece and some fiddling with the settings should get things up to acceptable. As things stand the rear end of a skunk could probably give Microsoft a run on its money on this one. No matter though, I am sure the various options will give us something to work with.

Ok then. I think an internet connection followed by Windows update installations are the next step.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:05 am 

all of them apart from norton
kaspersky is supposed to be the best
as it is based in russia about $30

i use microsoft ( free ) security essentials on one pc
avg ( free ) on the other pc

set my pc to sleep mode and wiggle/aggitate my mouse
and type in a password for instant restarts better
than cold boot unless i buy or bank online
then i do a full restart as it flushes the ram
karl
i am in the market for a vw 24 inch asus
4 times new egg award winner so i am looking
forward to your assessment/pictures of your screen

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:00 am 

Blargh blargh blargh. New machine will not connect ot the internet. Things would be soooooo much easier if we could simply disconnect ethernet from the current machine, plug ethernet into the new machine, get online and complete Windows update. But no. New machine proclaims there is no internet connection. BS I say: ethernet cable is plugged right in so everything is fine, but machine has it another way. Reset, reboot, machine proclaims there is no internet connection yet again. Will there be no end to troubleshooting problems? Have mercy dear engineers: just let the machine connect so we can complete Windows update and get on with it. Alas it is not so. No internet connection, and troubleshooting must continue for yet another day. See everyone in a bit; yet another round of "Why don't things just work?"

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:16 am 

network/ethernet/lan

driver probably needs reinstall

check device manager for yellow question marks

allways reboot after every install or reinstall

your router/modem may have its own driver cd

karl

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:03 am 

type in devmgmt.msc into the run command if you see yellow or red icons then that's a problem, Screenie please :)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Mr. Bill,

How are you connected to the internet? I would guess you're using Roadrunner cable internet and your computer is plugged directly into the cable modem. If that is the case, you need to go out and get yourself a router ASAP! You do NOT want to have your system plugged directly into the cable modem. Any cheap router will do.

If you want it to work plugged straight into the modem, you have to plug the ethernet cable into your computer, then reset the cable modem in order for it to issue you an IP address. You'll most likely have to do that every time you change from one computer to the other.

If you have a router, once you get that plugged into the cable modem you'll be able to plug multiple systems in at the same time as well and they'll all work.

Mike

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:52 pm 

Hello everyone,

I am back on the troubleshooting case here this evening. I have just logged on and we have several quite helpful-looking incoming comments, so it is time to get underway. Unfortunately it looks like troubleshooting will be complicated somewhat, insofar as I have only one internet cable and will have to shift it back and forth from this machine to the next. We will see though what we can do.

First up we have an inquiry from the honorable Mr. Mike, administrator of these forums. The internet connection is "Road Runner Basic," running out of the computer straight into the cable modem. No router, and the modem is provided by the cable company. I have marked off from my readings of URMW and URPC's the possibility of obtaining my own modem and/or router device. There are notices in URMW about the advantages of connecting through a router. For the moment though I have not attended to that. It is a loose end in the build process at the moment, as is upgrading to Gigabit ethernet. If I recall correctly (which I may or may not be) either a router or a modem with a built-in firewall was also mentioned as advisable in URMW. Perhaps a combinatorial device might be in order: a modem with a built-in firewall that also performs routing. I do not know that such a thing exists but it would take out both concerns with one purchase potentially if it did. I have wanted to get clearer though in comprehension before committing to any purchases on internet-related things: how and why is it that connecting through a router is safer? I had a hypothesis about this once. The router may have its own TCP/IP address, assigning computers connected through it their own addresses in turn. Only the router address however would be accessible on the internet-at-large. Some one might be calling uo or otherwise trying to communicate with random TCP/IP addresses out there. Connecting through a router would provide the advantage that they could only try connecting to the router, as opposed to connecting straight into the computer, and that in turn could eliminate mischief possibilitites. This was only an hypothesis though: my knowledge of these things remains limited in such a way that I am uncertain about the extent to which I understand them.

The second concern listed was a driver problem, which I was wondering about myself. A yellow exclamation mark did appear by the driver in the system.

Troubleshooting route number one then will proceed with the suggestion by the honnorable Mr. Mike, administrator of these forms, to the effect that an TCP/IP address has not been assigned to the machine by virtue of not restarting the modem for use on the new machine. Route number two will be pursuit of potential driver problems, step one in that case being a reinstall of the driver. It is a Gigabit ethernet driver, which gave me some pause since I do not have a Gigabit ethernet connection at this time, but the tentative hypothesis was that a Gigabit Ethernet driver should probably be able to handle lower volumes than Gigabytes that might be coming through. It mdoes remain something of a flag through.

Ok. On to the honorable Mr. Mike's suggested attempt for resolution of the difficulty.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:34 pm 

For the honorable Mr. Karl@Hull:

I have made a note that you are in the market for an ASUS 24 inch monitor. For now I need to troubleshoot the internet situation, but I have flagged needing to add some commenys on the monitor and its appearance and performance for you. If I forget to do that within the next 36 hours or so do give me a remainder on that. I want to do everything that I can for my helpful forum-thread participants, so I will be posting some information on those matters for you in a reasonable amount of time, providing I do not loose track of my intention to do it. I may have more for you later tonight.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:08 pm 

Hello everyone,

Out there you will not notice any difference, but things have certainly changed on this end. Coming to you live from the new machine! Screen is huge in comparison to the laptop I have been using. Keyboard is absolutely terrible. I refuse to use this dreadful board any longer than absolutely necessary: departure to Wal-Mart may even be due within the next half hour, the thing is so bad. Gentlemen at Dynex: how did you manage such a dreadful thing? Commodore 64 (or whatever it was) or an old Atari may have been livable with this thing, but not anymore. Even Fred Flintstone would be complaining I think. Back in the Stone Age they probably had better shelved off in the back of the cave. Contrast on the screen looks like it needs some adjusting: the yellow text here is off-color. No matter though as that can be attended to in due time, provided this awful keyboard gets the boot as fast as possible. Firewall is working, which I verified immediately when the connection looked to be established.

The honorable Mr. Mueller's proposal got us here. I connected the ethernet cable into the machine, hit the reset button in the back of the cable modem, and turned on the machine. Connection worked fine when Windows came up, so presumably being assigned a TCP/IP address was indeed the cause of the problem.

Windows updates are next. I am hoping they are automated sufficiently so I can venture out to Wal-Mart while the system does its updating thing. This keyboard simply has to go. Truly awful, there is simply no other way to describe it.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:11 pm 

Another point to look into: there is a slot on the laptop where you can insert the memory card from the digital camera, making the importation of pictures a failry easy task. I see nowhere to do this on the current machine however, raising the question of how that is done on standard computers. Last time I had one I was not using digital cameras.

But I digress. On to the Windows updating procedures.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:59 pm 

Bill you need a memory card reader.

I found a great deal on a 16 GB Sd card and reader,

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSDHC-Memory-SDSDQ-016G-Packaging/dp/B001L1H0SC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#productPromotions

Look down the page a little and you will see an option "Frequently bought together". Under that "Add both to cart"

You get the 16Gb Sd card and 6 in 1 Usb card reader for $30.79 which to me is a pretty good deal..

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:56 am 

i am sorry to hear you have been to hospital fatguy,

kindest regards, karl@hedon, historic town, near hull,

east yorkshire england.....

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:06 am 

did you get some spekers bill

creative inspire T10 are good

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:06 am 

Model M :)