Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Something bizarre (and upsetting)
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:19 pm 

Scott, I had a weird problem with my HP Pavilion Media Center m8300f PC yesterday afternoon. The PC was supposedly in a "sleep" state (the power button was lit amber instead of blue), yet the power supply's fan was still blowing. I could not get it out of the "sleep" state the usual ways (moving the mouse, pressing keyboard keys, etc.), so I held down the power button until the system shut off. When I press the power button again, the PC powered on, but the monitor didn't get out of standby mode. Even after playing with the monitor's power button, it still kept going into standby mode after a brief period of time. Frustrated, I unplugged the PC and then plugged it back in. Without pressing the PC's power button, the PC automatically booted up again, and the monitor came out of standby mode and displayed stuff like it usually should. Curiously, it didn't display options concerning going into Safe Mode.

Scott, do you think the above scenario indicates a problem with the power supply? The problem didn't repeat itself later on. Here's a link that might be useful:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01297105&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3644702

Post subject: Re: Something bizarre (and upsetting)
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

I would suspect the PSU first (hopefully it's not the onset of a problem like this), but it could also be the motherboard (check for bad caps), or if it doesn't ever happen again it could have just been a "glitch". Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:18 pm 

Guess what, Scott? I've have two similar situations recently, one of them basically just now. In both instances, I couldn't get the HP Pavilion Media Center m8300f PC out of standby mode, so I held the power button down to shut down the system. When I powered it up again, the monitor wouldn't come out of standby mode, so I had to manually shut down the system again by holding down the power button. In both cases, the second time was the charm, though I did have to put up with a screen listing multiple ways of going into Safe Mode.

As you might find out on the page that can be reached by clicking on the previously mentioned link, the PC has a 300W power supply. I do have a spare PSU, namely an Antec TP3-430. Do you think my spare PSU would work with my HP PC? Also, is replacing a PSU these days really that hard?

Last edited by Maxirad on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:00 am 
Site Admin

Replacing a PSU in most systems is fairly simple (4 screws and a few connectors in most cases), and that Antec *should* fit. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:54 am 

The problem I described in my second post pertaining to this thread seems to be intermittent. Should I even bother replacing the PSU at this time? Scott, I imagine your answer is "Yes" since intermittent problems are often caused by bad PSUs.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:59 am 
Site Admin

I think it would be worthwhile to see if the PSU is indeed the cause of the problem. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:52 pm 

After a significant amount of agony, I managed to get the Antec PSU installed in the HP Pavilion Media Center m8300f PC. So far, so good. For the record, the PSU I took out of the system is a Lite-On PS-5301-08HA.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware