Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: First build help
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:23 pm 

Scott,
I'm planning my 1st build using [url]http://usmsi.com. I would like to install a HDD from a 2003 emachine with Windows XP and a new HDD with Windows 7 Home. How do I configure the bios with both drives and 2 OS's?

Post subject: Re: First build help
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 pm 

http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmb ... =1869#menu
Here's my link. I hope this works.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:04 am 

i do not like windows 7 or vista

xp forever :oops:

karl.........

Last edited by karl@hull on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:13 am 

Thanks Karl for your help! Sounds very straight forward.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm planning my 1st build using this board.

I would *not* recommend that board, as it lacks both digital video (DVI/HDMI) output and gigabit Ethernet, both of which I consider to be essential today. A board like this would be much, much better.

Quote:
I would like to install a HDD from a 2003 emachine with Windows XP and a new HDD with Windows 7 Home. How do I configure the bios with both drives and 2 OS's?

The simple answer is that you'll install both drives in the system just as you would any two drives, then do a clean install of Windows XP on one of them, and a clean install of Windows 7 on the other. In otherwords, you install the oldest OS first, and the newest OS last. After that is done, you can easily change the default OS for startup.

Note that this will require original Windows installation media and product keys for both OS, for example you won't just be able to install the eMachine HDD and use the eMachine OEM version of XP that is currently on the drive. This means that you'll need to purchase a copy of XP to install (if you don't already have one).

The requirement for installing the oldest OS first is because there are significant differences in the Windows XP and 7/Vista startup procedures. You can work around the problems if you need to install the older OS last, but it requires manually editing the BCD (Boot Configuration Database).

Even if you install both OS successfully, there are all kinds of potential problems when dual-booting between XP and 7/Vista. Here are examples of a few:

Because of these (and other) potential problems, I do not recommend dual- or multi-boot systems for most people. Instead, you are much better off using installing one OS as your primary environment, then running any others in Virtual Machines (VMs). Windows 7 Professional for example includes "Windows XP Mode", which is a free copy of Windows XP pre-loaded into a VM, which would save you from having to purchase another XP license.

Quote:
Sounds very straight forward.

Not quite as straight forward as you might think. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:07 pm 

Whew! A lot to think about. I will defintely take your advice and choose another MB. I think I will plan on using just a new HD w/ Win 7. Since this is a 1st build, I don't want to get in over my head. Thanks Scott for the info! This is a great forum to learn.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware