Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Intermittent Start Up
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:49 am 

Hi,
I have been having an intermittent start up problem for some time. About 50% of the time, my pc will boot with no problems, but the other 50% of the time, i press the power on button, the power on LEDs light up, all the fans spin, but no signal & the pc will not boot, it doesn't even past POST, but no beeps. I get the same intermittent problem when i restart from Windows. I have tried removing RAM, moving the RAM to other slots, removing all the USB devices, changing keybooard & mouse. The temperatures all seem fine, the BIOS settings seem to tbe fine, i think this may be a PSU issue, any help would be much appreciated. My system spec. is:

Asus M4A78 PRO
AMD Phenom II x4 940
ATI Radeon HD4850 (1Gb)
8Gb DDR2 800MHz RAM (4 x 2Gb)
Samsung Spinpoint F1 750 Gb HD
HEC 550 Watt PSU (HEC-550VP-2DE)
Windows Vista Home Premium

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

Post subject: Re: Intermittent Start Up
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Admin

These are classic symptoms of a failing power supply. Replace it with a known-good spare and re-test the system. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:22 pm 

Hi Scott,
Thank you for the quick response, much appreciated. Is a 550 watt supply ok for my system & which PSU do you recommend, i am in the UK.
Thanks again.
Steve

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, as long as the watt rating isn't a meaningless one. You can see my recommendations for power supplies here. As long as you get a *quality* unit with an honest rating of 550W or greater, you should be fine. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:16 am 

Thanks again Scott, in the UK i am looking at the OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro Power Supply, link below, i want a modular psu, is this one you would recommend:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-600W-ModXSt ... 955&sr=8-2

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:02 am 
Site Admin

I can't say whether I'd recommend something (or not) without at least knowing the specs. For that reason, when asking about a specific product always post a direct link to the manufacturer product page where detailed information about the product is available. Since you are new to the forum, I'll help you out with that here. <g>

For example, one of my criteria when selecting a PSU is that it be a single-rail design for the +12V power. If you check the specs on the manufacturer product page for the PSU you are looking at, you'll see that it has two +12V rails, which does not meet that criteria.

As a guide, here are some of the features I look for in a PSU:

Other things to consider include how quiet (or not) the unit is, whether you want modular connectors, sleeved wiring, etc. Let me know what you end up choosing, and why. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:41 am 

Hi Scott,
Thank you very much for your assistance, based upon your advice, i have decided to go for the Corsair TX CMPSU-650TX, I feel this meets most, if not all of your recommended requirements for a PSU, i hope you agree. The only downside it is not modular, but i had to offset this against the cost & the factors you mention are more important than the modular design, so i feel this is a small compromise.

Link to the suppliers website is:
http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx

Thank you again, much appreciated, your advice has proven invaluable.

Regards

Steve

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:07 am 

Hi Scott,

Finally installed the new power supply yesterday, all was good, the pc started ok, restarted ok a number of times, i powered off last night, pressed the power on button this morning, the fans spin, the lights come on, but no signal, no POST, no beeps, exactly the same problem as before i replaced the power supply, so i think i can rule out power supply now.

Have you any other ideas as to what could be the cause of this intermittent problem.

Thank you

Steve

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:43 am 
Site Admin

If you are sure the PSU checks out then I'd suspect the video card, RAM, motherboard, or processor. Before doing anything with those components, try resetting the CMOS RAM, and also try disassembing and reassembling the system (including removing and reinstalling the CPU and heatsink). If that doesn't help, then try replacing the suspect components with known-good spares (one at a time of course). Let me know what you find. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:44 am 

Hi Scott,
Thank you for the reply, i can't see two power supplies having exactly the same fault, i have reset the CMOS RAM & reset the BIOS settings, cleaned all dust & reassembled the system, cleaned the CPU & CPU fan, reapplied Arctic Silver. The temps are all ok. I have previously removed & swapped the RAM around, but still the problem persists. Sometimes the system starts/restarts ok, but other times it won't start or even restart, the only way i can get the system to POST is by pressing the restart button.

Unfortunately, i don't have a spare video card or motherboard, so i guess i'll just have to put up with the intermittent fault for now.

Thanks again

Steve

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Admin

From your initial post it seems you have 4 memory modules installed. Try running only two, and if that doesn't help, then swap them with the other two. If that doesn't help, then try running only 1 module, swapping among the 4 you have. Also make sure the memory you have is 1.8V (standard for DDR2), as non-standard memory can cause all kinds of problems. If it doesn't turn out to be RAM causing your problem, then that would leave the motherboard, video card, and/or CPU as the most likely alternatives.. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:50 am 

Scott wrote:
...one of my criteria when selecting a PSU is that it be a single-rail design for the +12V power. If you check the specs on the manufacturer product page for the PSU you are looking at, you'll see that it has two +12V rails, which does not meet that criteria.

As a guide, here are some of the features I look for in a PSU:

Other things to consider include how quiet (or not) the unit is, whether you want modular connectors, sleeved wiring, etc.

Scott, are these still your criteria when choosing a PSU?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Yes indeed. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware