Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Sine Wave UPS
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:03 pm 

In researching to purchase a UPS for systems with a corsair AX650 and AX750 PSU the need for a PFC compatible UPS is stressed. Sine wave seems to be the critical point and UPS marketing uses terms such as true sine wave , pure sine wave, adaptive sine wave and many others to confuse buyers. Spending $400 + for a UPS per system looks to get a UPS that will meet the definition: a waveform that represents periodic oscillations in which the amplitude of displacement at each point is proportional to the sine of the phase angle of the displacement and that is visualized as a sine curve . No idea what that means and there doesn't seem to be reviews or testing to validate claims.

My only use of a UPS is to orderly shutdown a system in the event of a power failure, surge protection and momentary power to span very short interuptions. In no instance will I keep working during a power failure. With that in mind do I need to have a true real no deviation sine wave UPS? Can this unit meet that goal ,CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS 1500VA / 900W PFC compatible Pure sine wave.
[url][http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102134/url]
Somehow at half the price of true sine wave this pure sine wave just doesn't feel right even though their marketing claims the sine wave is compatible with a PFC PSU.

Scott , is it true that a PFC PSU requires a UPS power rating based on the PSU momentarily drawing its max watt rateing along with a need to adjust upwards for out the wall wattage ( consider efficiency of PSU)? So even though I may at max utilize say 350 watts I must spec the UPS considering the above?

Due to budget I need to consider alternatives if they will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6842102134

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware