Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Old Hard drives cloning
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:01 pm 

Hi Scott,

I'm new to this forum and my experience is very limited with hardwares, the only thing I'm able to do is to install a new Video card or sound card in a system.

When I finish reading the book I will be starting to build my new Pc, that will be my summer project, do you recommend a different book as well the Upgrading and Repairing 20th edition book for people like me(with no much experience in Hardware).

My questions is I'm using a very old pc 2001 and to my knowledge the new pc are using a new type of internals connections, such as SATAs, I do need to clone my old hard drive to a new one. how can I do this or what would you recommend, I have been reading you book but so far I haven't been able to find anything related to how we can copy or clone a hard drive..

Thank you
Iggy

Post subject: Re: Old Hard drives cloning
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
When I finish reading the book I will be starting to build my new Pc, that will be my summer project, do you recommend a different book as well the Upgrading and Repairing 20th edition book for people like me(with no much experience in Hardware).

I do recommend my Build-a-PC video/booklet as a supplement to URPCs, since it goes into much more detail just on building. You can also ask questions here when you are ready, and be sure to look over the other questions previously posted here on the forum by those building their own PCs.

Quote:
I do need to clone my old hard drive to a new one. how can I do this or what would you recommend, I have been reading you book but so far I haven't been able to find anything related to how we can copy or clone a hard drive.

Most of the time when you buy a new HDD you can download free software from the HDD manufacturer which will allow you to clone your old drive to the new one. For example if you purchase a Seagate or Maxtor drive you can use the Seagate DiscWizard, and if you purchase a Western Digital drive you can use Acronis True Image WD Edition. You can see a complete list comparing disk cloning software (some free and some commercial) here. Scott.

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:13 pm 

Hi Thank you

I have just purcharsed the recommended book, it will be delivered in two weeks.

Relating to my previous questions for cloning Hard disk, I'm looking for more ralated of how to do it, such as connections or how to do the cloning, besides the software, anything related to the questions in the recomended book.

Cheers
Iggy

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have just purcharsed the recommended book, it will be delivered in two weeks.

Thanks!

Quote:
Relating to my previous questions for cloning Hard disk, I'm looking for more ralated of how to do it, such as connections or how to do the cloning, besides the software...

In most cases you would install the new drive in the system as a 2nd drive, then do the clone operation, then change the boot order in the BIOS Setup such that the new drive comes first.

There are many other ways to do this as well, for example you could get a USB adapter and connect the new drive externally via USB, then do the clone, then install the new drive in the system in place of the original.

If you are talking about putting a new drive in a 2001 vintage system, I'd probably recommend you build a new system from scratch instead, then install Windows, then copy your data over from the old system (or drive) to the new one.

Because of the number of possibilities it would be best to wait until you are ready to actually purchase the drive or build a new system before getting into any more specifics. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:36 pm 

Hi Scott

Thank you very much, yes it is a very old system.

I will wait till I get the new book to build up the new system, as it's my summer project.

Once more thank you and sorry for the questions, that I know it may very simple thing to do, but my experience is very limited in hardwares, this is a learning kerb to me, never to old to know, new things.

Cheers
Iggy

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware