Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: PC powers itself down seconds after power-on
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:23 pm 

Scott, I have a PC with a Windows XP installation that powers itself down shortly after I power it on. If it's powered on for the first time after being unplugged, it makes it as a screen that asks the user to start Windows normally or to choose between various versions of Safe Mode. It powers down even if no decision is made before the countdown is completed. If it's powered on again without being unplugged first, it doesn't even make it as far as that one screen. I've switched power cords and even power strips, but the same stuff happens. There's no message about the failure of a CPU fan or whatever. I did ask my dad to blow dust out of the system before this stuff started to occur. What could be happening? Due to the case design, I could see the CPU fan spinning before the powering-down.

Post subject: Re: PC powers itself down seconds after power-on
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like a bad power supply. You know the drill... Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:23 pm 

Scott, I replaced the supposedly troublesome power supply with this one, which I had ironically bought for the system mentioned in this thread. When I powered it on for the the first time with the new PSU after everything inside was plugged in properly, I reached that menu involving those various versions of Safe Mode. I chose the version of Safe Mode that had the networking option. When I got to the desktop, I didn't do anything as far as inputting stuff was concerned (though I was basicially about to). The system suddenly powered down, and I got scared. Then when I powered the PC on once again, the system booted up normally. It's been on for a while, and it has yet to fully power itself off. I do have to admit that when the problem first happened, I was away from the PC and I didn't input anything. Another PC I had has powered down after coming out of Hibernate mode if no one inputted anything. Do you have any possible explanations, Scott?

Last edited by Maxirad on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds like the power supply had failed. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:55 am 

What could be the reason that the new power supply seemed to act up in that one version of Safe Mode, but it now seems to be OK in the regular mode of Windows XP Professional? Could it be an OS issue rather than a power-supply issue?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

That depends on what you meant by "powers itself down". If the system just cut power, then that would most likely be the PSU, if on the other hand it executed a Windows shutdown, then that would most likely be a software issue, but it could also be a defective power switch. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 am 

With the latest power supply, the system was in a version of Safe Mode when it cut power. With the previous power supply during the supply's final day in the system, I couldn't even get the system into Safe Mode before it cut power on me. It apparently was in the regular Windows mode when it cut power. (I was away from the system at the time.) With the latest PSU, however, I haven't had an incident since the one I've mentioned.

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:23 pm 

Scott, the same kind of problem has come up again this afternoon. The system is still the same, but the seemingly defective PSU this time around is a Corsair HX650W. What happened was that my system basically froze up when I was on the Internet. After I hit the reset button, the system powered up and reached a screen with the Windows XP logo, but it powered itself down before reaching the desktop. The problem hasn't gone away. Even when I have tried to use Safe Mode, the system never reaches the desktop. I have thought that the PSU, which I bought at Fry's Electronics a little over three months ago, might have gone bad, but the system didn't power itself down when I was in the CMOS setup thing. (In fact, exited the CMOS setup thing safely, plus I was in it for a significant peroid of time.) I don't seem to have a known-good spare on hand to at least temporarily replace the Corsair PSU. What should I do, Scott? The Corsair PSU is very much under warranty, but it may not be causing the problem. Should I contact Corsair technical support anyhow?

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

While it does sound like a bad PSU, without replacing the PSU with a known-good spare you won't really know for sure whether the existing PSU is at fault. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:52 pm 

I got the Corsair HX650W exchanged for a Corsair HX750. I've installed the latter. Judging from how things have gone so far, the former PSU apparently was defective. Nevertheless, I'm scared that my PSU might fail in several months. Sorry, but I just can't help but think that something else in the system might be causing PSUs to fail prematurely.

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:18 pm 

Update: The same problem came up again. However, it went away after I discovered that that the CPU fan wasn't properly fastened and I properly fastened it. Keep in mind that I have never received any message from my PC about a failure of the CPU fan and the need to shut down.

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed on that motherboard. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:23 pm 

I've checked. The BIOS is up to date.

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

I didn't realize at first that this was an AMD based system. A BIOS update wouldn't have helped as unfortunately the older AMD processors didn't have the built-in thermal detection and throttling features that would allow a system to continue running even without a heatsink. Instead they would shut-down or in some cases burn up or even explode.

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:20 am 

Well, the AMD processor that's in the system I'm using right now is a Phenom II X4.

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Admin

From what I've seen they still don't have the throttling features found in Intel processors, meaning that in an overheat situation they will shut down vs. throttle-down for self-preservation. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:16 am 

The motherboard has Socket AM3. Scott, do you know if there is an adapter available that can allow the motherboard to accept certain Intel processors?

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately there are no such adapters. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:12 pm 

Is there an application that can determine roughly how damaged the CPU in my system is? The system appears to be working OK for now.

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

If it works then the CPU most likely isn't damaged at all. You could run a stress test like Prime95 to be sure. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:20 am 

Which Prime95 Torture Test would be most suitable for a quad-core CPU?

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:39 am 
Site Admin

I usually do the In-place large FFTs test (maximum heat, power consumption, some RAM tested). Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware