Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Packard Bell
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:34 pm 

Scott, I have a Packard Bell Legend 14CDT and I can't figure out how to open the case. There are no screws on the back and no handles/buttons to push. I couldn't locate any service manuals online and the only reference to the unit mentions using it to test a beta of Windows 95. Got any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Packard Bell
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

I'd need to see a lot more details, pictures, etc. before I could offer any advice. I'm sure if I could see it in person I'd have it open in minutes. <g>

Most Packard-Bell systems were designed around the the LPX form factor, the chassis for which typically had a 3-sided cover that would slide rearward and then lift up. See the section on the LPX form factor in my URPCs book (in Chapter 4 - Motherboards) for more information. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

I'll bet I could get into it with a hammer and chisel in seconds!!!

Then I'd toss it in the trash <G>

Mike

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 pm 

Got it. It had 4 screws on the bottom of the case. That affixed the L bracket attached to the side so the whole bottom and side come off as one unit. Now I need to know how to put it back together and wipe my brain of all the ugliness I saw inside. The single cooling fan is held together with dust bunnies. The main power is a 12 wire connector (in-line 12x1). The BIOS battery, which I originally needed to replace, is a Raython 3v. lithium BP1225 that has been spot welded into place that has no finger room at all. Not that it matters, even if I could get a soldering iron tip in there it's still not coming out with those spot welds.
Oh, Scott, the riser from hell resides in that thing.
One thought: I might be able to get a wired battery holder for a CR2032 from Radio Shack, clip the battery out with a wire cutter and solder the battery holder leads to the remaining stubs. All I need is enough wire length to remotely mount the new battery holder, maybe near the base of the unit's interior.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm 

Is this a customers machine or your own? What planning to do with it? If mine I would simply get the data off and scrap.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm 

It's a friend's computer. He's over 80 and is very comfortable with his old set-up. I'll get it going for him one way or another. He doesn't know what OS he's running and I'm curious about it. It's probably either Windows 95 or maybe even 3.x.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:32 pm 

Good stuff, keep us posted

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:57 am 

WOW!
He's running Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11. No Start button, just a Program Manager icon in the lower left corner.
The operation was successful. I ran out and got a battery holder (Radio Shack 270-009) this morning and wired it into an easy to reach location. I had to reset the time and date in the BIOS but the patient pulled through. I removed the riser and sound card for easier access so I could cut out the spot welded battery. It was still a tight fit so I pre-soldered the leads and tabs so all I had to do was touch off on them with the soldering tip to make the connection.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Wow indeed! It's cool that you got it going for him. What does he do with that system exactly? Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 am 

And to think I was tickled that I still have a working Windows 95 notebook. Wow.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:06 pm 

He has some financial data he needs to access. He doesn't use that computer much but he had to get those files for his taxes. He probably uses Wordpad or something to keep records. I don't know of any Office product that works with that OS.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware