Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Western Digital External drive very slow write speeds
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:57 pm 

I've recently bougth a Western Digital Elements 2TB external Hard Drive it's connected via usb 2.0. i get acceptable read speed +/- 30MB/s (in other words when copying data from external drive to Pc - internal drive and when playing HD video no skipping of frames/lagging) But i get horrible write speed (when copying data from internal hdd to external) - goes down to 3MB/s and even lower!!

I've done a complete format, repartition it with NTFS and even tried a Low-level format which took VERY long, but write speed still the same my other external drive's write speed is at around 30MB/s this one and the new one are both 5400RPM drives connected to USB 2.0 ports. (i've used to exact same port with each of the drives - just to be sure its not the port/ controller)

I've also noticed that when I connect the WD Elements my pc becomes less responsive and slows down, as soon as I disconnect the drive PC is back to normal speed (responsive)

I've eve tried swopping my internal 1.5TB HD with the Elements one (installing the 2TB as a internal drive hoping for better performance - being connect to SATA port directly on MB)

Tried to clean install Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and it took about 3-4 hours to install !!!! - slow write speed - normally takes 20-25 minutes at most.

My original internal (1.5 TB Samsung) also gave 30 MB/s read and write when connect via usb 2.0 in the same enclosure that i used with my WD drive.

I've also tried to enable write caching in device manager (policies)for the slow drive, but still slow write speeds, any ideas ??

Post subject: Re: Western Digital External drive very slow write speeds
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds like the drive is defective. If the drive is under warranty you might consider having it replaced, however in many cases you'll get a refurbished drive as a warranty replacement, and those are not always trustworthy.

The drives included in factory built USB enclosures are generally bottom of the barrel units. I'd consider purchasing a stand-alone (higher quality) drive and installing it in the enclosure. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Western Digital External drive very slow write speeds
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:15 am 

I built an external drive using an enterprise class HDD (1 TB) and an enclosure with both USB 2.0 and eSATA ports. With the computer's BIOS set to raid I am getting extremely fast transfer rates with the eSATA connection. It's definitely worth the time to set it up.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware