Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Dead 3.5" SATA Drive
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:11 am 

Scott I have here a 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 drive out of a Maxtor "OneTouch" USB 2 Enclosure

Now the drive is seemingly dead and normally this would be game over.

Seems the drive does contain files valuable enough to warrant a Laboratory repair, Before I start Googling repair companies, I wondered if you can recommend any?

Also before I send it away I wonder if there are any "tricks" I can do to make it work again.

The drive simply does not respond and is bad enough to prevent my PC from booting when it's plugged in.

Post subject: Re: Dead 3.5" SATA Drive
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:45 am 
Site Admin

First see if the drive spins up with only power connected. If that works then try connecting the SATA data cable while the drive is still spinning. If the system doesn't recognize the drive after the data cable is connected then restart the system. If this doesn't help then the logic board or other components on the drive may be defective. If you have an identical drive you can try replacing the logic board. Other than that if the data is important I would recommend sending it to a professional data recovery outfit.

I used to recommend Actionfront, however they were acquired by Seagate and are now the official Seagate In-Lab Data Recovery service. They have different services for consumer or business customers, with expedited (and more expensive) services available for the latter. Let me know how things turn out, Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:56 pm 

I've had hard drive data recovered by Scott Moulton at myharddrivedied.com and his prices are very reasonable. This guy also has some publicly available podcasts out there which are very interesting regarding hard drives and how they work etc.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:57 pm 

Thanks Scott & Paul.

When comes down to it it's unlikely he will want to send away, but if he does will keep you posted

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware