Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: General Question about issue with CPU install
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:58 am 

Okay ladies and gentleman......

Was installing a CPU and had a mishap. Need to know your feedback on how to recover, IF there is a way......

I was replacing the heatsink and fan, and had my white heat grease applied, and set my nice giant heatsink on top, and had one side secured, and was getting the clip on the opposite side attached, and began having an issue.

I soon realized that things had shifted, the CPU nicely glued to the heatsink had come off the socket, (CPU has pins) there was a nice amount of white grease all over the underside of the CPU, and all in the surface of the socket nicely filling the pin holes of the CPU.

Now, I may have overused the grease, but, I was running a call for a POS system that was going to be running 24x7, and sitting in an enclosure with very little airflow, so, I wanted to make sure I had enough to provide maximum heat transfer, so, I didn't want to under do it either.

All of this being said, pins on the CPU ended up being bent, and with all the grease on the underside of the CPU, I tried as I might, but, was unable to recover from the mishap.

IS this recoverable? What does one do when the white grease is filling 1/3 of the space around all those tiny pins of the CPU and lots and lots of those tiny holes of the socket on the motherboard?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: General Question about issue with CPU install
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:10 am 
Site Admin

I would recommend removing the motherboard from the system, then bring both the motherboard and CPU to your kitchen sink. There you should be able to wash the thermal grease off both the CPU and the motherboard (socket) using water, dishwashing liquid, and a toothbrush.

After the grease is completely cleaned off I would recommend a final rinse with isopropyl alcohol to remove any potential residue from the cleaning process. Once the grease and any cleaning residue has been removed I would use compressed air or maybe a hair dryer to blow out any water and insure that all of the components are completely dry.

Once you are sure that it is clean and completely dry, you should be able to reinstall the motherboard and processor. If the pins aren't bent too far you should be able to straighten them with a tweezer, hemostat or needlenose pliers. If any break then a new CPU would most likely be required. Let me know how it goes. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware