Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Weird sleep/power behavior
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:23 pm 

Hi Scott,

I have a problem that's baffling me. I have a home built Windows 7 desktop about 5-6 years old. Has been working great except for recently, intermittently when going into sleep it will go into a kind of zombie state where the power light is still on and everything else is powered off except for the power supply and other fans in the case. I can't get the system back without pressing the power button again and booting from scratch.

Last night was the most problematic evening of all, this happened multiple times in a row and even hapenned once when selecting shutdown instead of sleep. In one instance the power button began to blink after trying to restart the system.

Finally I was able to get a good shutdown before going to bed.

From briefly perusing online forums it sounds like a possible PSU issue? Somewhat disappointing if true as the unit is a PC Power & Cooling model (I know even those can fail)

Any help you could provide would be valuble.

Thanks
Paul

Post subject: Re: Weird sleep/power behavior
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

I would normally suspect the PSU first with symptoms like this, but I also suspect the motherboard and possibly even RAM. The first thing I'd try is a known-good spare PSU, followed by RAM, and finally the motherboard. I would also inspect the motherboard for any bulging or leaking capacitors, as that can cause this type of problem as well. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:00 pm 

Thanks Scott, I'll pop in a new PSU in the next few days and see if the problem goes away.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:42 pm 

Be sure to check out the warranty for that PCP&C PSU model when you bought it. Most were 5 yr, but some models had (and I think still do) 7 yr warranties.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:21 pm 

Alright, an update on my progress so far: last night replaced the power supply with a known good Corsair model and the behavior still remains, i.e. after sleep initiated power light remains on, fans still running, unable to resume from this state. Pressing the power button again reboots computer.

My next trick will be to try with one stick of ram. This computer uses 4 sticks of 2GB kingston DDR2 on a Gigabyte GA-EG45M-UD2H motherboard.

I might try resetting the BIOS back to defaults and see if that helps too if nothing else works.

At least my PC Power & Cooling PSU is apparantly OK.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

First make sure the latest motherboard BIOS is installed. Also as you suggest try resetting the BIOS Setup settings back to default, possibly by removing the battery and having the system unplugged for a minute or two. If that doesn't help then move on to testing the RAM.

I'd try two sticks at a time (in the proper sockets for dual-channel operation). In otherwords first remove two sticks, then test. If the behavior remains then replace the existing two with the two you removed. If the behavior still remains then move the two that are installed into the other two sockets. If the problem remains under all of those combinations (and since by this point you've verified that the PSU and BIOS settings aren't the cause) then most likely the motherboard is failing. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:42 pm 

Thanks Scott, I know I already have the latest BIOS so I will do the steps you have suggested as well as test the battery while i'm at it.

Will update as I know more.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:52 pm 

Well, feeling lazy I didn't feel like removing the battery for the BIOS so I just did a reset to optimized defaults rebooted and put my settings back with the only difference being that I left the voltage for the DDR2 on Auto instead of specifying 1.8v.

So far no sleep problems. A little too early to be sure that the problem is gone, but am keeping my fingers crossed.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:29 pm 

Since that last reply I did have a repeat of the behavior. After inquiring on the Tweaktown Gigabyte forum I set the memory manually to 1.8v and as I had all the RAM slots filled I upped the MCH core voltage from 1.2v to 1.3v.

Ever since no weird sleep behavior :D

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

I only recommend stock voltage settings. Anything other than that is asking for problems such as you describe. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:30 am 

The ram was running at 2.1v on Auto (according to HWMonitor) even though the spec required 1.8-1.9v. I did get some continuing sleep problems even with the ram set correctly (but before the MCH voltage upped)

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware