Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Graphics resolution
 Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:03 pm 

Hi Scott,
I've got a couple of Intel motherboards, D2500HN. This MB is supposed to have up to 1900x1200 graphic resolution but I only have three choices when I try to change resolutions:
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024
I'm installing Win7 64 bit on these units. The MB driver disk doesn't have drivers for graphics on this board, just LAN, audio, Chipset and Rapid Storage. No graphics drivers are listed on Intel's website for graphics either. (Well, for WinXP they have graphics drivers available but that doesn't help me out any.)
As an aside, Intel is getting cheap. The MB doesn't include the color printed installation guide that they used to have and they only supply one SATA cable instead of two.

I'm running a single 4 GB SoDIMM 1333 MHz. module in one memory slot (slot 1).

I searched all over Intel's website for errata but couldn't find anything that would explain the small choice of graphic resolutions. Nobody else seems to be reporting this problem either. Both MB's have this problem.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Graphics resolution
 Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
This MB is supposed to have up to 1900x1200 graphic resolution but I only have three choices when I try to change resolutions:...

Resolutions higher than 1280x1024 are not recommended over an analog VGA interface as the image will be fuzzy and potentially distorted. You need a graphics adapter with a digital (DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort) connection in order to properly display resolutions higher than that.

Quote:
The MB driver disk doesn't have drivers for graphics on this board, just LAN, audio, Chipset and Rapid Storage. No graphics drivers are listed on Intel's website for graphics either.

They are available on the Intel driver site. You can find the latest Windows 7 graphics drivers for that board here.

Quote:
I'm installing Win7 64 bit on these units.

Since that board only supports up to 4GB of RAM there would be no advantage to installing a 64-bit OS, in fact it would be a disadvantage since the OS and drivers would take up more memory and generally run 32-bit applications slower than a 32-bit OS. That is probably why Intel only offers 32-bit Win7 drivers for that board. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:51 pm 

Intel's site does have 64 bit drivers for the board but only for LAN, Rapid Storage and Audio.
The graphics driver you linked to is 32 bit only. I figured if Intel had three 64 bit drivers for the board then they intended to have the board compatible with a 64 bit OS and the MB's graphics system.
I don't really need the super high resolution that the MB's specs indicate but just having three available resolutions to pick from seems a bit skimpy.

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Available resolutions are determined by the display adapter hardware, drivers, and the capabilities of the connected display. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 pm 

I wiped the HDD's and installed Win7 Home Prem 32 bit instead. Great graphics now. The driver disk that came with the MB now shows the graphics drivers along with the other 4 drivers. The MB w/the Atom 2500 will do 64 bit processing and has some 64 bit drivers but for full functionality 32 bit OS is needed. That's probably what the asterisk next to the 64 bit drivers meant at the Intel website. It sure would have been helpful if Intel had provided footnotes to go along with those asterisks.
Anyway, thanks Scott for pointing me to the 32/64 bit issue.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware