Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: External HDD quit working.
 Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:13 pm 

I have an external storage HDD that recently quit working. I have a massive amount of data on it ( mostly music ). It is a drive made by Acomdata, model HD 500 UHE5-72. After it quit reading and was no longer recognized by my system, I decided to take it out of it s
enclosure to see if I could read the data off of it by means of a USB to IDE/SATA adapter, which I have used many times to successfully read and save data from drives out of crashed or discontinued PCs. No luck with that. It is a WD Caviar SE 16 series internal 500GB IDE drive. So I was wondering if I could find a replacement control board for this drive, if that would solve my problem!? The drive does power up and the platters are definitely spinning, but there is no ticking/clicking sound of actual reading of data that can usually be heard. I don't know of any other possible means of repair or data recovery that I could explore!? I would really like to recover my data from this drive ( over 50,000 MP3 files!). I don't have any idea of how costly a data recovery service would be? And of course would only look at that as a last resort due to the potential cost issue. Any help/ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks and regards. Greg

Post subject: Re: External HDD quit working.
 Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

The first thing you should do is to connect the drive directly to a system via its native interface (Parallel ATA in this case) connection. In other words do NOT use a USB adapter. If the drive is recognized by the system (BIOS Setup), then you can boot Windows and see if the drive is recognized by Windows as being formatted (good) or unformatted (bad). If the latter then most likely the file system has been damaged but the drive may still be readable, and therefore files may be recoverable.

If the drive is not recognized by the system at all, then the problem is more serious and you will most likely want to send it to a professional. You can try swapping the logic board from an *identical* make and model drive, but if that doesn't work then swap the original logic board back before you send it out. For a professional service I recommend Seagate In-Lab Data Recovery. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware