Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Inexpensive Scalable System Build Recommendation?
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:29 pm 

Scott,

Do you any hardware suggestions for a new system I would like to build for my son? I want to set a budget for motherboard, processor, graphics, memory, sound, and 1 500GB HD from $400-$500 or under if possible. Should I consider integrated features such as graphics and processor? I want to build a system that is robust for the Internet primarily with Windows 7 Professional OEM as the OS. He may want to do a little gaming from time to time.

Many thanks,
DLH

Post subject: Re: Inexpensive Scalable System Build Recommendation?
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

I documented the parts in the build on the DVD included with my latest book here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2630

Starting from that list for a budget build I would eliminate the video card (the video integrated into the processor is perfect for a budget build) and the SSD, and possibly select a less expensive CPU and power supply as well. For a budget build you can use the PSU that comes with the case you choose, saving even more money. The system would also be fully scalable, you could add a video card, SSD, higher performance CPU, etc. later as necessary. Let me know if you have any questions on specific component choices. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:39 pm 

I sold a lot of PC's across the country a few years ago targeted to Ham Radio enthusiasts that met your criteria. I used an Apex MI-008 case w/PSU (250 watt) and an Intel motherboard with the integrated Atom processor. I sold them for $399 + shipping.
The MB has since been discontinued but Intel still has the D2500HN available but it is in the process of being discontinued. It may be a good but inexpensive MB for your son's use assuming that by "gaming" you are not talking Call of Duty or something of that nature. It does use SoDIMM modules and supports up to 4 GB DDR3 RAM.
I never had any problem with the case or it's included PSU. People love them because they're small and use so little power.
Like Scott said before, go for the Enterprise class HDD. The one I use in my systems are 1TB and costs about $89 ea.
Graphics and audio are all included in the MB. Do be careful to install Win7 32 bit though. That particular MB is not certified for 64 bit.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:00 pm 

Scott,

My apologies for a slow reply. Thank you for your response. I'll go over your suggestions. Also, I have in my library your training DVDs and also I've purchased your books as well.

Many Thanks, Scott!!

DLH

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:04 pm 

Randy,
Thanks for your post as well. I'll go over your response in detail. If I have additional questions, I'll get back to you.

Thanks,
DLH

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware