Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: I know you don't want to hear this
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:19 pm 

I think computers are becoming obsolete.

Now if computer are going to be obsolete what going to replace them. Scott What are you going to do for your new books the tablet smartphones Ipads lol...

Now there is smart tvs TV and computer all in one with its own o/s.

Post subject: Re: I know you don't want to hear this
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Computers are definitely not becoming obsolete. There are many people who need a real computer to create, produce, manage, edit and otherwise manipulate data such as text, images, videos, numbers, etc. Real work that cannot adequately be done on a tablet, smartphone, etc. Now for those who have been using an unnecessarily complicated computer when all they want to do is browse the web, participate in social media, and other things not related to real work, those people never needed a computer in the first place and a tablet or smartphone will be a much better choice.

I do think the computer market will become smaller, if only because there are too many people using computers today that don't really need them. But the market for computers will never go away as long as there are people who need them to do real work. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 pm 

I think there'll be a considerable migration for folks who don't do much more than surf and check their email. For them, a tablet or remote monitor for their smartphone would be plenty. A co-worker of mine thinks the PC is on its way out, but I also think it has some life left. Yeah, a lot of it can be done with a powerful notebook, but at a significantly higher price, and they're still pretty limited in upgradeability compared to a desktop.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:51 pm 

In the U.K with our "rabbit hutch" new houses, a large desktop PC is becoming rarer, I see lots of slimline (SFF) PC's, mostly laptops and an increasing number of tablet/smart phone devices.

Windows 8 has not helped, but perhaps Windows 9 will take off and show a renaissance in the "Full OS" PC again?!

The consumer level laptops I see now are poor, had one the other day that had a 4GB memory limit as it only had one memory chip socket, some of the newer Dell Laptops don't have HDD bays, so the entire plastic case has to be removed.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware