Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: WD My Book Stopped Working
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 pm 

WD My Book 1 TB with USB stopped working. Windows Vista stated that the USB connection had failed. I removed the HDD from enclosure and installed in tower using SATA connection. Windows Disc Management recognized the drive but stated it was unallocated. I don't want to reformat HDD as it is my external backup (at least it was external until I installed it in PC).

I know I need to assign a drive letter but Disc Management didn't offer that option. Do I need to make new volume (remembering it has data and I want to save it)? Or what?

Thanks for advice.
SeniorGeek

Post subject: Re: WD My Book Stopped Working
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:43 am 
Site Admin

I've seen this type of situtation several times before on external USB/FireWire drives when the external controller glitches or fails. If after removing the drive from the enclosure and attaching directly via SATA/PATA, it spins up and is recognized by the system but does not appear as a drive letter than that normally indicates that when the external controller failed it also damaged either the MBR (Master Boot Record), VBR (Volume Boot Record), or both. The good thing is that most if not all of the files should still be there.

In this case since you say it is a backup then you would still have the original files and should not need to recover anything. If there are no files that need to be recovered the drive can simply be repartitioned, reformatted, and then either used as an internal drive or installed into a new enclosure.

If you do need files from the drive then you could try using something like Recuva or other data recovery tools to either repair the damaged boot sectors or simply copy off the necessary files and then reformat. Let me know how things turn out, Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware