Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Graphics card mystery ?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:46 pm 

Good day

I've got a strange sort of problem; my pc runs perfectly doing whatever, be it playing games, watching movies, surfing internet ect.

However if I shut down the pc, when powering up it shows the first screen - Intel Board Inside Logo (Desktop) and then after that it reboots, gives the intel screen again, but then states previous boot attempt was unsuccessful - this might be because of recent changes in bios or because of hardware changes.

Then i power down again, remove graphics card (PCI Express Geforce GTS 450) and power it on for just a while, before shutting down again, put graphics card back into slot, and power on - and successfully boot into windows ???

And everything works fine, no errors or anything. But if i where to shut down again, i'll have to go though same procedure as stated above ??

I'm confused, please give some advice as to what might be causing this - other wise i'll have to keep pc running, and not shut down, cant go through whole procedure every time I have to switch on pc.

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7601
Service Pack 1
Intel Core i5-3470 (3200.0 Mhz)
Intel DZ77SL-50K (Intel Z77 (Panther Point))
8 GBytes (Dual-Channel)
nVIDIA Geforce GTS 450

Post subject: Re: Graphics card mystery ?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

henrivana wrote:
...Then i power down again, remove graphics card...

What happens if you reset the PC without powering it down (again) and without removing the video card?

My first suspicion is a failing power supply. In order to troubleshoot that I would replace the existing unit with a new unit (or even better a "known-good" spare) rated 650W or higher. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Graphics card mystery ?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:44 pm 

I too would suspect the PSU.

But two free things I would do first (unless I had a known working PSU to substitute) would be to perform a CMOS reset per the MB manual's instructions (with card present).

If that didn't stop the problem I would install (or reinstall) the latest BIOS revision available for the MB.

I also seem to recall there was a MS update to the Power Manager in the past 2-3 weeks. May want to check Device Manager and System Info for problems.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware