Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Lenovo 14-pin power connectors
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:42 am 

It looks like for the past year or two, Lenovo has been converting any desktop tower models to a new proprietary power standard. It is a 14-pin main power connector flanked by two 4-pin "SATA" connectors that are 2x2 pinouts.

This seems to be true of all Thinkcentre M78 and M92 models (with 280W PSUs).

I got caught when I recommended a ATX12V/EPS form factor PSU to someone as an easy swap who upon receiving it found this out.

Man this is embarrassing crap! Did they hire Dell to start designing for them? I just don't understand the thinking behind tossing standards with no discernible reason. It creates a more expensive MB and PSU who's cost must be passed on to the consumer. Designed obsolescence?

edit: You wouldn't be able to find the pinout to this new proprietary standard would you? What little I can find is a user claim on the Lenovo forum that there is a 450W (max. available with this bus attributed to Lenovo TS) PSU available from Lenovo for $286!

Post subject: Re: Lenovo 14-pin power connectors
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:09 am 

Do these chassis use ATX or µATX Motherboards? If so then you can swap the MB too.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

This is very embarrasing for Lenovo! I see what you mean by the proprietary 14-pin connector (it has others upset as well), and I cannot find a pinout published anywhere for this. One can probably be deduced from the wire colors along with maybe some voltmeter testing. If you have any detailed close-up photos of the connector that would be helpful.

If the pinout is a subset of the ATX standard 20 or 24-pin connectors then a standard one could be used by either cutting the connector down or inserting the pins into the shell from the original Lenovo PSU.

Note that the two 4-pin "SATA" power connectors appear to be outputs. I believe Lenovo would use additional cables from those connectors to one or two optional drives. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:33 pm 

Thanks for the info. I too have been unable to find any info on the pinouts. Did find thisso you are correct on the wiring being convertible.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware