Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: PS4 vs Xbox 1 Specs
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:24 am 

Scott,

Here's a loaded quest(s).

What are your thoughts regarding the upcoming generation of gaming consoles? I figured since they have strayed away from the PowerPC architecture you might have some thoughts. I've provided two articles comparing and contrasting their hardware specs.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/24082-xbo ... -hardware/

http://www.ign.com/blogs/finalverdict/2 ... fications/

I'm curious to see how important the Xbox 1'a 8GB of DDR3 RAM (being helped by eSRAM) contends against the PS4's 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. That seems to be the biggest issue on everyone's mind. Some of my initial thoughts were that the Xbox 1 might have an advantage in terms of a more robust/responsive OS for multitasking. I'm basing that off of think of the eSRAM as on par with CPU low level Caches. Do you think this will be true?

What is your opinion on pure graphical throughput potential?

I thought GDDR5 was for graphics cards specifically but it looks like, with the PS4, this will be used a system memory. How does that work?

And lastly, I think it's more fun and higher quality to just build a machine and update the GPU for a fraction of he price with better performance than either of these. Anyone agree?

Evan

Post subject: Re: PS4 vs Xbox 1 Specs
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Evan,

As soon as you send Scott both systems with a few similar games for him to have his son test for a while I'm sure he'll be happy to give you a detailed response. Until then I doubt you're going to get much out of him on this. Video games interest us less than printers and we don't like printers. lol

Mike

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:08 pm 

Sure...I'll get right on that. I had forgotten I even posted it.

Evan

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Evan,

As Mike has indicated neither of us are much interested in gaming. I honestly haven't given any thought to the last generation of consoles, much less the next one! <g> Perhaps my biggest problem with game consoles is their proprietary nature, which is of course by design.

I definitely agree with you in that if I did any gaming at all I'd much rather do it on a powerful industry standard architecture PC that I custom built myself. A system that could be upgraded as necessary, and which would also be useful for other tasks both now and in the future. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:40 pm 

This is the closest consoles have come to being a standard PC as far as hardware goes, the OS and the proprietary bits are a whole different beast.

Evan

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

I agree that they are closer than before in some areas. But unfortunately as a system they are still completely proprietary by nature. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware