Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Magnetic Data Loss in Hard Disk Drives
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:58 pm 

I've just read that the data on hard disk drives can 'fade' over time unless rewritten fairly regularly.

I have several external drives just sitting on shelves, and at least two internal ones in a PC that hasn't been powered on for several years, each containing backups I thought I could rely on!

Do I need to get software such as this, or can anyone suggest a better solution? The ancient PC runs NT4, which (unsurprisingly) isn't even supported by the aforementioned software.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Post subject: Re: Magnetic Data Loss in Hard Disk Drives
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

There is no need for any such "refresh" programs, especially considering they absolutely cannot refresh all of the magnetic data anyway. Here is a relevant citation on the subject written by a former HDD engineer: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... fCIyPj7poJ

The biggest problem I've seen with older drives that are allowed to sit non-operating for extended periods of time is stiction. Fortunately that can often be overcome by mechanical means.

As with all discussions of data storage, having multiple, reliable, off-line backups are your best insurance. If you have important data on older drives it might be a good idea to make backups on newer drives. As older interfaces and systems become obsolete, it is often difficult to find a compatible system, controller card, cables, etc. to make an older drive work at all. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Magnetic Data Loss in Hard Disk Drives
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:39 am 

Thank you Scott,

That's a relief. I'll boot up the old machine and make backups to a newer drive as you suggest (the existing backups are on a separate internal drive in the same PC).

Regards,

Mike

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware