Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Certain HP PC
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:42 am 

My dad has decided to get a certain HP PC. Scott, do you think it's a decent PC even if it might be proprietary? Can you tell me if it has an expansion slot for a video card?

Post subject: Re: Certain HP PC
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

Maxirad wrote:
...do you think it's a decent PC even if it might be proprietary?

It is fine for many uses. I normally try to avoid proprietary systems wherever possible, but sometimes a proprietary system (especially a small one that uses little power) is the perfect solution for a given application. For example just recently I had the need to set up a networked (shared) printer in a location with no wired network jack. The printer lacked a network interface as well, meaning I needed a wireless print server to share it on the network. I dug through my pile of old systems and found one of these (it had recently been given to me to recycle): http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/acer-a ... 77218.html

I opened it up and found that it was essentially a laptop system in a book-sized case. It had an empty PCI Express Mini Card slot, so I found and installed a spare Atheros bgn WiFi card and antenna I had removed from a previously trashed and recycled laptop. I reloaded the system with a fresh copy of XP and set it up as a print server. It has no keyboard, mouse, screen or other external connections except the USB cable to the printer and the AC adapter power connection. I can log on and manage it from any other system via Remote Desktop Connection. So now this system will live out its life as a rather useful print server that uses very little space or power.

Quote:
Can you tell me if it has an expansion slot for a video card?

Since you found the link to the support page you should be able to find that out on your own. Your homework assignment is to download and read the manuals, then report back with the answer you find. If there is a slot, for extra credit please tell us what standard it follows. <g> Thanks, Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:41 pm 

The PC in question has no expansion slots, parallel port, or SCSI ports. Would it be better to install XP or Vista on it? I do have Windows 7, but I only have one product key for it, and I plan to install Win 7 on a separate system.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Maxirad wrote:
Can you tell me if it has an expansion slot for a video card?

Scott wrote:
Since you found the link to the support page you should be able to find that out on your own. Your homework assignment is to download and read the manuals, then report back with the answer you find. If there is a slot, for extra credit please tell us what standard it follows...

Maxirad wrote:
The PC in question has no expansion slots, parallel port, or SCSI ports.

I will unfortunately have to give you an "F" on that assignment! According to the Hardware Reference Guide it has 2 expansion slots, one is MXM (Mobile PCI Express Module, for video), the other is PCIe Mini Card (Mini PCI Express, primarily for wireless adapters).

Quote:
Would it be better to install XP or Vista on it?

I would install which ever OS you have available for the lowest cost and are most comfortable with. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware