Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Message pop up after start up
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:20 am 

Hey Scott a message pops up after I start my pc. This is my motherboard.. The message is "A storage device was connected. If this device is a port multiplier, only port 0 of the port multiplier will be active.". I don't have any type of esata or any storage device connected. So I'm not sure why this message is popping up everytime I start my pc. Could it be a loose hdd cable?.

Post subject: Re: Message pop up after start up
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:37 am 
Site Admin

I believe that message is coming from the storage driver, which seems to be detecting a non-supported port multiplier attached to the system:

A SATA port multiplier enables multiple drives to be connected to a single SATA/eSATA port. Your motherboard uses a P55 Express PCH (Platform Controller Hub), which unfortunately does not support SATA port mutipliers. This means that if you were to connect a multi-drive external dock or enclosure (like this) via SATA/eSATA then you would expect to see that message and only one of the drives would be recognized. Note that this would not affect operation via a USB connection, in which case both drives would always be recognized.

If you have not attached a device including a SATA port multipler then the message is in error. Since this is both device and driver related I would install the latest Motherboard BIOS and Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. If that doesn't help then I would suspect some type of hardware problem. In that case you would want to examine every SATA connection in the system, possibly replacing suspect components (including cables) with known-good spares. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:44 pm 

I opened up the PC and blew out some dust. Also disconnected and reconnected SATA data cables on both the motherboard and drive connections. Also removed and re-plugged the power connections on the HDDs also. Message is no longer appearing.

I will have to wait and see if it re-appears after a cold start, but for now the message is gone. Maybe one of the cables was just loose. I did just recently move again and also the weather has been cold, so things contract... I don't know if that's the cause but I guess I will wait and see if the message re-appears.

Thanks again for your help Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:03 pm 

Hey Scott, I received this message again today and decided to update to Inter Rapid Storage technology. Now that I have it installed it doesn't work correctly. I have an icon in the taskbar that says, "Intel RST Service Not running". I'm not sure what to do next.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:36 pm 

I went back to a previous image, recovered sector by sector. Message is now gone. I really think it's just a cable problem. Besides the message I have had zero problems with the pc. It's just that message pops up once in a while. And now it is gone again. It is from "Intel Matrix Storage Console 8.9". I haven't updated that software ever though. Looks like there are more problems with the updated version though.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Intel renamed Matrix Storage Technology to Rapid Storage Technology several versions ago. It consists of software and drivers, and unless you are running RAID you only want the drivers. With a driver-only installation you would not have any icons in the taskbar. See the readme.txt file for proper installation procedures and how to verify that the driver has been installed. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware