Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Hp Pavillion P6210Y
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:16 pm 

My wife uses This pc...Anyway recently the cpu fan has been speeding up intermittently. I know that supposedly this is normal operation, as in when the cpu gets a little too hot it speeds up to cool it down. However the only thing she does is play facebook games so it's a bit strange.

So I opened it up and cleaned blew out all the dust. Took off the heat sink, cleaned it and re-applied TIM. It seems to be running much better now. However there is no way to check the cpu fan speed in the cmos set up. There used to be until I updated the bios several years ago when I first got the pc as a hand me down.

I don't know but I wouldn't think the pc would get so hot even with a bit of dust, just playing facebook games....

Post subject: Re: Hp Pavillion P6210Y
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:29 pm 

I have a spare heat sink. This one.. Would it be worth the trouble to put it in?. It's not being used so I'm thinking it would an upgrade anyway and might cool my wifes pc much better.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Since it is running better now that you reinstalled the original heatsink with new TIM (which is exactly what I would have recommended) I would probably just leave it alone. However if the spare heatsink is better (higher capacity) and since you already have it, installing it would only cost a little time and TIM. If you do install the new heatsink I would run something like HWMonitor or SpeedFan to check temperatures before and after in order to verify any possible improvement. Please let me know the results if you do make the change. Thanks, Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 pm 

Here are the specifications for the Thermaltake cooler.. I'm not sure the specs for the one on there now, it's just a stock one that came with the pc. I'm sure this thermaltake is much better. I'm going to put it on.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:45 pm 

Thanks Scott!. All installed. I also installed HWmonitor that you linked. How can I tell which fan is the cpu fan?. It indicates fan1 and fan0. There are only two fans in the system not including the PSU fan. Just the cpu fan and a case fan.

Everything is running fine as of now.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
How can I tell which fan is the cpu fan?. It indicates fan1 and fan0...

I would manually (physically) slow one of them down, then see which one changed speed according to the software. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware