Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: CPU Upgrade
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:30 pm 

Hello,

I am considering a CPU upgrade for my Lenovo IdeaCentre K330.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-ide ... 330/specs/

It currently has the stock LGA1155 i3 in it, and I was thinking of moving to an i5 because pricing on the i7's seems so much higher.

The only thing is, there seem to be so many choices out there, and I don't want to drop over a C note and have a CPU that doesn't work, and that isn't returnable.

Just in looking at the i5, they seem to have 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen, and 4th Gen.

Any help sorting this out would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: CPU Upgrade
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Modern systems require processor support in the BIOS and motherboard. To start I would find (and post) links to the Lenovo Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM), which will list all of the processors supported by Lenovo in that system. Any of those would be "guaranteed" to work.

Further evidence of supported processors can be gathered from the BIOS. Find (and post) a link to the latest BIOS for the system. The reference notes and documentation for the BIOS will indicate what other systems that BIOS may be used in. After researching the motherboard part numbers and supported processors in those systems (via the HMMs for those systems) you should be able to create a more complete list of supported processors. For any systems using the same motherboard (same part number as in yours), any processors listed should be guaranteed to work. For those with different motherboards (using the same BIOS), any processors listed would probably work, but there could be design differences (e.g. power requirements) that might make some combinations a no-go.

Any processors not specifically supported for the system, motherboard, or BIOS might work but there would be a high risk for failure.

So here is the task at hand:

1.) List all processors optionally installed and/or supported in your system.
    2.) Find any other systems using the same BIOS as in your system (if any), of those find out which ones use the same motherboard, and which ones use other motherboards (if any).
    3.) List any additional processors supported in any other systems you find using the same motherboard (if any).
    4.) List any additional processors supported in any other systems using the same BIOS but a different motherboard (if any).

At the end of step 3 you should have a list of processors "guaranteed" to work. Step 4 may turn up additional possibilities but success would not be insured. Anything beyond that would be a much bigger risk. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:54 am 

Scott, if a motherboard supports a CPU does that mean that the cooling system will also support it? For example if someone has a low-power Celeron, can they then put in an i7 and not overheat the Cooling system?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:17 am 
Site Admin

The cooling system is a separate component from the motherboard and may or may not need to be upgraded when a new CPU is installed. That depends on what cooling system is currently in place vs. the requirements of the new CPU. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware