Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Tips for applying Stabilant 22 requested
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:20 pm 

Greetings to you all!

Scott, I am experiencing an electrical contact issue with the DDR3 RAM modules in my PC which is causing the computer to crash on a regular basis.

In “Upgrading and Repairing PCs” you mention a contact enhancer called Stabilant 22. You inform the reader that this contact enhancer is available in several different forms. The two forms that I am interested in are the concentrate, i.e. Stabilant 22, and Stabilant 22a which is Stabilant 22 diluted with isopropanol in a 4:1 ratio.

Unfortunately you do not say anything about which form you prefer for PC applications or if you use either one depending on the specific application. I have read through the relevant app notes (App Note 2; App Note 7; App Note 30) on the Stabilant web site and assume that I should apply the concentrated version to my RAM module contacts. Do you agree? Which form of Stabilant do you use for this type of application?

I have just recently purchased the 5.0 ml service kit of Stabilant 22 (D.W. Stock number 005-010-005) online and am expecting delivery any day now. (I didn't purchase a larger amount simply because this stuff is exorbitantly expensive!) It comes with an empty 15 ml bottle for dilution. I could dilute only 2.5 ml with isopropanol giving me 12.5 ml of Stabilant 22a and have 2.5 ml of the concentrate left. This gives me the option of using either form depending on the application. What do you think?

I would also like to know how to best apply Stabilant to the RAM module contacts. Should I spread it across the contacts using one of the applicator brushes included in the aforementioned service kit or should I just use my finger as suggested in this document (under the subheading “How do I apply it to my connectors!”)? Or should I just drag the “dropper-type” bottle tip along the contacts whilst squeezing the bottle only as much as necessary?

I have never used Stabilant 22 before and because of its high price I want to make sure that I don't inadvertently end up using it in a wasteful manner. I would really appreciate it if you would give me some tips for using Stabilant 22 in PC applications. With your vast experience, I'm sure that you know what the best way is to apply Stabilant 22 and which form (concentrated or diluted) is best for which application.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Post subject: Re: Tips for applying Stabilant 22 requested
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...I have read through the relevant app notes (App Note 2; App Note 7; App Note 30) on the Stabilant web site and assume that I should apply the concentrated version to my RAM module contacts. Do you agree? Which form of Stabilant do you use for this type of application?

I recommend using the full-strength version on memory module or card edge connectors where you can remove the module or card for application. I do recommend first cleaning the contacts with alcohol before the Stabilant application.

I use the diluted form when I am applying it to assembled components as the alcohol helps carry the Stabilant deeper into the contacts.
Quote:
I would also like to know how to best apply Stabilant to the RAM module contacts.

I like to brush it on or wipe it on with a finger while wearing rubber gloves, less waste that way. Let me know if it helps with the crashing problems! Thanks, Scott.

Post subject: Re: Tips for applying Stabilant 22 requested
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 am 

Scott,

thanks so much for your advice!

I decided to mix 2.5 ml of Stabilant 22 with isopropanol in a 1:4 ratio in the 15 ml bottle that comes with the service kit, resulting in 12.5 ml of Stabilant 22a. That left me with 2.5 ml of pure Stabilant 22.

I finger-smeared Stabilant 22 onto the contacts of all four of my 2 GB RAM modules. I did clean the contacts with alcohol before applying the Stabilant, as you had recommended.

My Stabilant treatment was successful, but I decided to start a new thread with a more appropriate title to document the problem in detail, so that others who have similar issues can benefit if these are also caused by poor electrical connections of the RAM modules.

The new thread with the problem description is here.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware