Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Seagate SSHD and NAS drives.
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:05 pm 

Scott, what is your experience with the current generation SSHD's from Seagate that have switched from 7200rpm to 5900rpm? Seagate has a post about the SSD portion has significantly improved it's caching of the HDD.

Also, have you compared the new NAS Seagate drives to the Enterprise drives you have previously recommended for NAS use?

Evan

Post subject: Re: Seagate SSHD and NAS drives.
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

I've been a big fan of the Seagate Hybrid (SSHD) drives ever since they first came out. As a boot/working drive for systems where the higher cost and lower capacity of a true SSD cannot be justified, a Hybrid drive would be the next best thing.

Changes in RPM are meaningless unless compared against drives with the same linear or recording density. In general a newer generation drive with a lower rpm will equal or out-perform a previous generation drive with a higher rpm. And in the case of a Hybrid drive the rpm is less important as in most cases the data is read from the solid-state memory cache.

The NAS drives are basically lower-cost Enterprise drives. Like the Enterprise drives they are designed for 24/7 operation, have the proper time-limited error recovery (so as not to be dropped from an array) and are designed for higher vibration tolerances (multiple drives in an enclosure). In general from what I've seen by comparison the more expensive Enterprise drives are rated for 10x fewer nonrecoverable read errors and have a lower AFR (Annualized Failure Rate). Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:04 pm 

Scott wrote:
The NAS drives are basically lower-cost Enterprise drives. Like the Enterprise drives they are designed for 24/7 operation, have the proper time-limited error recovery (so as not to be dropped from an array) and are designed for higher vibration tolerances (multiple drives in an enclosure). In general from what I've seen by comparison the more expensive Enterprise drives are rated for 10x fewer nonrecoverable read errors and have a lower AFR (Annualized Failure Rate).

No offense, Scott, but would you actually recommend a NAS drive from Seagate?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Yes indeed. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:20 pm 

Based off what Scott verified about the error detection and better vibration durability they are a great middle ground between standard drives and the ES (enterprise) drives when you look at the price of the enterprise drives. I've had a simple RAID setup fail and then lost all the data (unless backed up elsewhere). Qhile this might have still happened with the NAS drives I can't help but think it wouldn't have been as likely.

The SSHD drives fall into the same place. Not much more than a HDD of the same size but much better performance. I know that from my experience with the first generation but wanted Scott's take on current generation.

Evan

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware