Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Printer Woe's
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:18 pm 

Hello.

I got the bright idea I wanted an SSD drive. So, I backed up all my files, installed the SSD drive, made the original drive a data drive, and re-installed Windows.

But, I didn't just re-install the Windows that came with my computer. I didn't want the bloatware, so I just put Windows on.

Now, I had the printer working before. This printer is an older All-In-One and the highest OS "officially" supported is Vista, but, the HP website gives "workaround" instructions which I have followed to the letter. (It worked fine before, Windows Home Premium-64 bit)

I'm now using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I wouldn't think that should make a difference. With the changes made to the files as outlined:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/h ... .492883150

It requires changing 4 files to Compatibility Mode for Vista SP2. Where the problem lies is when I plug in the printer. Windows dutifully loads all the drivers, but, the HP Solution Center "Connecting to Device" part will not complete, even though all the drivers load, and even though a successful connection is eventually made. (I can print, but, I cannot scan).

I've uninstalled, and re-installed without success, and tried over and over. It seems that once it fails, it will always fail. The program "reverses" the install process but, something must be remaining behind, and something must be preventing a successful install.

I "thought" I had it installed a couple of weeks ago, but, when shared, the printer would never print. (On my previous install, on the other hard drive, before the SSD, the install, and sharing worked fine.)

So, now, I am at my wits end. I cannot get this to successfully install. Windows and 3rd party scan programs cannot scan thru this All-In-One, so something still is out of whack. I don't want to have to replace it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-ide ... 330/specs/

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Printer Woe's
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately the lack of Windows 7 drivers has obsoleted a lot of older printers. From what I see there was a firmware update for the printer in Oct. 2012 so I would make sure you have that installed. If the HP recommended solution doesn't work with the latest firmware then there isn't much I can do to help as I don't have the same equipment and/or software. One solution would be to install the HP Universal print driver, which would enable printing but not any of the other all-in-one functions. Another solution would be to attach the printer to a spare system running XP or Vista, then you could share the print functionality for all other systems on the network and do scanning on the spare system directly. Let me know if you do find a solution, Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:55 pm 

Would Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 Professional be particularly helpful?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

For a device to work in a VM it also has to be supported by the host OS. In other words you would need to have the printer installed under Windows 7 before you could install it in XP. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:48 pm 

Scott wrote:
For a device to work in a VM it also has to be supported by the host OS. In other words you would need to have the printer installed under Windows 7 before you could install it in XP. Scott.

Now you understand why I still have Windows XP Professional installed on the main PC I use.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:37 pm 

I found the firmware update and installed it, and am still stuck.

One thing to note here, on my previous install, this worked great. Windows 7 Home Prem.

However, I wanted to do a clean install without manufacturer add-ons, so I went with a retail Windows 7 build. I wouldn't think much difference. I got the printer to install, and was even able to share it as I wanted, but, the share didn't "last". In other words, say I wanted to print the next evening, the laptop it was shared to "said it printed" but, it didn't. Plus, in the new install, even though I finally got everything to install, the scan functions didn't work.

That led me to try again. I am getting an indication that all of the required drivers are installing. Where the install process hangs "forever" is step 5 of 5. It then finally gives me a RED "X" saying it could not connect, backs everything out, and there I am.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Since the firmware update didn't help I would either install the HP Universal print driver or attach the printer to a spare system running XP or Vista and share it. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:41 pm 

Scott wrote:
Unfortunately the lack of Windows 7 drivers has obsoleted a lot of older printers.

Check this out.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware