Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Kind of speakers that will work with certain system?
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:11 pm 

Scott, do you know what kind of speakers will work with an HP SignagePlayer mp8200 PC? How many ohms should one look for? I ask because standard speakers don't seem to work with the HP SignagePLayer mp8200 PC my dad bought.

Post subject: Re: Kind of speakers that will work with certain system?
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

The green "speaker" connector on a PC is not really a speaker connector after all, it is a Line Out connector. As such the power output levels are extremely low, incapable of driving speakers directly. The low power signals from the Line Out connector are designed to be connected to the Line In connector on an amplifier, which provides the amplification and higher power output necessary to drive speakers. In other words speakers are connected to an amplifier, which is then connected to a PC.

Note that the "speakers" normally sold for PC use aren't just speakers as they also include a built-in amplifier. If you have speakers with a built-in amplifier then you can connect them to the Line Out (green) connector on a PC. On the other hand if you have plain speakers then you would connect them to a compatible amplifier, which would then be connected to the Line Out connector on the PC. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:13 pm 

Keep in mind that even when external speakers are connected to the PC in question, the system's internal speaker doesn't shut off. I tried a set of external speakers with both of the PC's speaker ports a little while ago. Sound did come out of the external speakers, but faint and distorted sound.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Maxirad wrote:
...when external speakers are connected to the PC in question, the system's internal speaker doesn't shut off.

That is normal behavior for line-out (but not headphone) connectors.

Quote:
I tried a set of external speakers with both of the PC's speaker ports a little while ago. Sound did come out of the external speakers, but faint and distorted sound.

That is the expected behavior when connecting plain (non-amplified) speakers to a line-out connection. If you are using amplified speakers then either the amplifier/speakers or line-out port may be defective. In that case try some known-good amplified speakers and if that doesn't work then try installing a spare sound card to provide a new line-out port. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:34 pm 

No offense, Scott, but the system in question doesn't have a slot for a spare sound card.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

That's too bad, I've found that integrated audio is very failure prone. I've had to disable the integrated audio and install sound cards in many systems over the years. Hopefully in your case the problem lies with the speakers. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:48 pm 

Scott wrote:
Hopefully in your case the problem lies with the speakers.

I don't think so. Some speakers that obviously work quite well with the PC I usually use didn't appear to work so well with the HP SignagePlayer mp8200. The latter system also has a DisplayPort interface that doesn't work along with an Ethernet port that doesn't work. Keep in mind that the SignagePlayer mp8200 has two line-out ports that are apparently defective.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware