Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Odd System Behavior When Playing A Game
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:59 am 

Scott,

My computer has been experiencing a strange issue when I am running a new game that I just purchased. When I am running the game, it will suddenly stop running, the monitor will go black and in enter what appears to be sleep mode. The only way to solve this issue is to restart the computer via the reset button on the case. Checking the official forums of the game have yielded no results on this issue. Aside from an issue with the game itself what do you think the issue could be?

Post subject: Re: Odd System Behavior When Playing A Game
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

I would suspect the power supply and then the video card. I'd try to stress test the system using other software (Prime95 for example) that would cause the system to draw the most power. If that also caused the same symptom then that would be further evidence of PSU problems. I'd also try replacing the PSU with a known-good spare.

As for the video card I'd make sure the latest drivers were installed, I'd remove and reinstall the card, re-seating it in the slot. I'd make sure any cooling fans were clean and running. And finally I'd try replacing the card with a known-good spare for testing.

This type of problem could also be caused by RAM or motherboard issues, so I'd test those next if the PSU and video card doesn't turn out to be the cause. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:18 am 

Scott,

I plan on replacing two of the case fans, and with that been said which brand do you currently recommend? I'm looking for low noise and high performance.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:58 am 
Site Admin

In general I prefer lower-speed (1500-2000 rpm) standard 3-wire fans for chassis use. Things to avoid include those with sleeve bearings, as well as anything exceptionally high rpm (loud), unless of course you have extreme cooling requirements. I previously posted some fan recommendations here: viewtopic.php?p=9536#p9536

Even though that was posted a while ago those recommendations still stand. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:35 pm 

Scott,

I decided to purchase a new video card considering I did not have a spare that could run the game that is in question. Anyway, I installed the new graphics card and my system would lock up when it turned it on. The first time I powered on my system the screen would remain blank, and when I would restart the machine using CTRL-ALT-Delete the computer would freeze on the motherboard splash screen. Is the PSU at fault here? I would have a hard time believing that the new video card is faulty. :(

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

PSUs are the most failure prone component in PCs from my experience, I almost always suspect them first. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:56 pm 

Scott,

I do not think my motherboard (An Intel DG33FB) and my new video card (an XFX R9 270X) want to play nice together. I have used two different power supplies (An OCZ ZT 650W, and a Thermaltake Smart M 850W) and when using either supply the video card takes a second or two for the fans to start spinning, but it seems to work alright. The first time I power on my machine with the R9 270X installed I am greeted with a black screen, after rebooting the system hangs on the motherboard splash screen. When I install my older video card (an XFX 7700 OC) the system is fine. Could the video card be fine, but still not work properly because the motherboard is too old?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:39 am 
Site Admin

That is possible, the only way to know for sure would be testing with a different motherboard. Let me know what you find if you do that, Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware