Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Decipher types of CPU's
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:06 pm 

I'm thinking of replacing the motherboard in a computer of mine which will require the purchase of a CPU to go with it.

The style of motherboard I have in mind will use an i3, i5, or i7 1155 LGA type CPU. I am however confused at the various options I am finding and do not know how to tell the difference between them.

These all seem similar in speed, spec, and price, but, I cannot tell which might be the best. Is there a guide available somewhere that might help?

i5-2400S Quad Core 2.5 GHz
i5-2500S Quad Core 2.7 GHz
i5-3330S Quad Core 2.70 GHz
i5-3570K Quad Core 3.4 GHz

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Decipher types of CPU's
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:10 am 
Site Admin

You can look them up and compare them on http://ark.intel.com. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:04 am 

CPUs with an S or T after the number indicate lower power using CPUs due to their being significantly clocked down (underclocked). CPUs with a K can be readily overclocked with their multiplier. CPUs with no letter are normal.

I see no good reason for a general use PC to use a slower CPU marked with an S or T when as you say similarly priced full speed (non-crippled) CPUs are available.

Equally, since it does not save money, I see no reason to put last generation socket 1155 hardware into a PC when the latest H97 or Z97 socket 1150 MBs and their CPUs are available.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:55 am 

FascistNation wrote:

Equally, since it does not save money, I see no reason to put last generation socket 1155 hardware into a PC when the latest H97 or Z97 socket 1150 MBs and their CPUs are available.

I'll look into that. I'm only using this as a "play" PC as I have installed a removable hard drive as the primary and have a few SATA hard drives around that I swap out. I use them to test various OS's and other things. Keeps my main PC "safe" and free to use.

My main reason for staying LGA 1155 is that is what my primary PC has. If I could get a good priced CPU that was better, stronger, and faster than mine, I would use that and take my current CPU and put that in my "play" PC.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware