Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: 2 Tb limit
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:02 pm 

Hi Scott,
I'm upgrading my home entertainment computer while my TV tuner is out for repair. I changed the 2 Tb HDD to a Solid State Drive to hold the OS and I added a 4 Tb drive (Seagate ST4000VN000) to store the recorded video from the TV tuners.
Problem is, Windows only sees 1677.90 Gb on the new big drive in the Disk Management console and nothing at all (except the smaller SSD) in "My Computer".
I did some research and tried changing the volume (which was unallocated space) in Disk Management from MBR to GPT. The conversion went well but the reported volume size didn't change. I also tried changing to a dynamic volume since I only need it for storage, not booting, and that had no effect either.

MB = Intel DH57JG
CPU = i3
OS = Win7 Ultimate 64 bit
SSD = Kingston Digital 240GB SSDNow V300
4 Tb HD = Seagate ST4000VN000

MB has the latest BIOS. I tried enabling the UEFI boot option in the BIOS but it only screwed things up at boot. I reset the BIOS, disabled the UEFI again and the boot proceeded normally again.

Any ideas on how I can get all 4 TB functioning?
Thanks,
Randy

Post subject: Re: 2 Tb limit
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

You don't want to set it as a Dynamic volume, it should be Basic instead. Also check the mode settings for the SATA host adapter in the BIOS Setup, it should be set to AHCI mode. I also recommend installing the latest Intel AHCI drivers.

With all that in mind, for the full >2TB capacity to be recognized the disk must be initialized with the GPT partition style as shown here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408

Any existing partitions should be completely removed before initializing or converting. If the disk had previously been initialized as MBR and won't successfully convert to GPT then I would start over by wiping the disk using a program like dBan to wipe the drive first. Note if using dBan you can just use the Quick Erase method, which takes the least amount of time. Hope this helps, Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:06 pm 

Your link to the Intel ACHI drivers seemed to be applicable to three Intel Server boards. Would the driver also work for my DH57JG board?
I set the disk back to Basic but left it as GPT as you recommended. I didn't have any partitions created on the 4 Tb drive but I think I'll dBan it just to make sure I start off clean.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:01 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Your link to the Intel ACHI drivers seemed to be applicable to three Intel Server boards. Would the driver also work for my DH57JG board?

It would, but unfortunately I did a quick search and did not actually find the latest driver. The truth is that Intel's website went through an unfortunate makeover about 5 years ago that was probably the *worst* website re-design in history. From a site where everything could easily, consistently and accurately be found via a distinct menu heirarchy it changed to a "search" based site with a completely flawed search engine that often gives irregular or inaccurate results and makes it virtually impossible to find what you are really looking for.

For example if you find the support page for your DH57JG motherboard and click on the "Latest BIOS and driver updates" it fails completely and does not find anything. If you manage to manually find the actual driver page for the DH57JG motherboard it doesn't list *any* of the Intel RST drivers.

If you find the page listing all of the Intel RST drivers it doesn't make clear which drivers are for which chipsets, and it also doesn't even have the latest versions of the drivers that are offered.

For example, the latest RST drivers that support the 5x series chipsets are the version 12.x drivers, the latest of which Intel currently shows as 12.9.0.1001. However I was able to find and download an even later version 12.9.4.1000 from HP, which was of course provided to HP by Intel. Note *that* is currently the latest Intel RST driver available supporting your chipset.

Because Intel and many other companies have become so inefficient in providing drivers I have found what I believe to be the best online driver resource, Station-Drivers. I often use this site if I want to quickly find the latest drivers for a given chipset or component as they simply aggregate the latest drivers from everywhere possible.

Quote:
I set the disk back to Basic but left it as GPT as you recommended. I didn't have any partitions created on the 4 Tb drive but I think I'll dBan it just to make sure I start off clean.

Note that the act of "Initializing" is what actually creates the MBR or GPT boot sectors. The act of partitioning only fills in data in the MBR or GPT boot sector already present. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:26 pm 

Thanks Scott. I never could have found the driver myself. I've bookmarked the Station Drivers site for future use.
My Computer and Disk Management both see the 4 TB disk now (actually 3.63 TB). I was going to use Acronis Disk Director 10 to work on it but the installation failed, I suspect because of the SSD "C" drive where it was going to be installed. Do you recommend any disk management programs that play nice with SSD?

Thanks again,
Randy

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
My Computer and Disk Management both see the 4 TB disk now (actually 3.63 TB).

Do you know what made the difference?

Quote:
Do you recommend any disk management programs that play nice with SSD?

Yes indeed: http://partedmagic.com

Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware