Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Video editing
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Moved from here: viewtopic.php?p=16638#p16638

What would be the ideal desktop machine for high end video editing, SolidWorks 3D CAD, high end graphics editing, etc.? I see a lot of third party PC makers like BOXX and a couple of other vendors use Intel Xeon based PC's. Are these machines easy to build, troubleshoot, and maintain? Do you have any build videos showing how to make up a two processor motherboard with 32 GB of RAM, possibly two video boards, etc.? I'd really like to build a powerful desktop that will work well into the future for large, memory intensive video & graphics. If you have any video training on this, I would buy it in a heartbeat. <g> How would a powerful machine like this compare to a Lenovo W550? Are the Core i7's powerful enough for this intensive computing & video rendering? Thanks Scott...

Post subject: Re: Video editing
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What would be the ideal desktop machine for high end video editing, SolidWorks 3D CAD, high end graphics editing, etc.? I see a lot of third party PC makers like BOXX and a couple of other vendors use Intel Xeon based PC's.

That depends on things like your budget as well as whether you plan on editing 4K video. For more information on the requirements for 4K online editing see the article here: http://www.videomaker.com/article/17135 ... quirements

Here is an example of a workstation with up to 36 processor cores, 2TB of RAM, 3 graphics cards and 10 internal drive bays: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/work ... /z840.html

The number of configurations for that system are mind boggling, but just for grins I played with the configuration options and was easily able to get it up to over $57,000!! For example I found that HP is charging ~$7K each for two of the highest end 18-core processor available in that system, which can be purchased separately for $4280: http://www.serversupply.com/products/pa ... pid=220235

I'd estimate I could build a similar system for roughly half the price, however it wouldn't be as easy as clicking "Add To Cart" on the HP site. <g> It may not look or service as nice either, I do really like the tool-free chassis on that HP system. Of course few have the need to edit 4K video, at least for now: http://www.videomaker.com/article/17189 ... on-for-now

Now if you are editing standard HD (or even 4K offline) then just about any decent high-end desktop or even laptop will suffice. In that case there is no need for one or more Xeon processors, multiple video cards, etc.

Quote:
Are these machines easy to build, troubleshoot, and maintain? Do you have any build videos showing how to make up a two processor motherboard with 32 GB of RAM, possibly two video boards, etc.?

Adding more components does make the build a little more lengthy and perhaps more complicated with respect to additional cables and such, but overall installing a 2nd component (e.g. CPU, video card, drive) is pretty much the same as the first. I haven't filmed any builds with multiple processors or video cards, but I've done several with multiple drives. The most was the build on the URServers DVD that featured 6 drives.

Quote:
I'd really like to build a powerful desktop that will work well into the future for large, memory intensive video & graphics. If you have any video training on this, I would buy it in a heartbeat. <g> How would a powerful machine like this compare to a Lenovo W550? Are the Core i7's powerful enough for this intensive computing & video rendering? Thanks Scott...

It would be easy to build a high-end desktop system with a budget of a couple thousand dollars or less. Such a desktop system would easily outperform a W550s in CPU, RAM, video and storage capability, since a desktop has more physical room, better cooling, and a virtually unlimited supply of power unconstrained by batteries. A future W550 (no "s") should have a more powerful quad-core processor, more RAM sockets, and possibly higher-end video which may be worth waiting for if you really want a true laptop workstation. Another option would be to investigate the HP or Dell laptop workstation alternatives.

Another major consideration is storage. With video you quickly get into many terabytes of storage, more than can be fit into a single system. I like to use high-speed SSD internal storage for actual editing work and multiple external HDD storage drives/units for data and backups. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:03 pm 

Puget Sounds has 3 video editing workstations with a myriad of high end options.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/workstation.php

My thoughts are as you say budget? What projects are planned? What app(s) are used and what are their features/capabilities that require hardware to implement/enhance?

Can these apps use more than 2GB of RAM? Do they support CUDA or OpenCL, OpenGL and to do what? Can they take advantage of hyperthreading? Can they take advantage of workstation graphics card rendering? These determine parts selected.

What size are the projects? 5 minute youtubes or full length HD movies? Youtubes can be done on most PC's without too much problem. Experimenting with the 4k format or editing many hours of HD footage down to 2 hours and the builds become more expensive to edit and render in a reasonable amount of time.

Generally you cannot go wrong with cores...the more cores in your CPU the better. Speed is good too. If it is a 64-bit app, as much RAM as you can afford. If not consider a fast sequential writing SSD as a scratch. Big projects require big storage including backup.

One other consideration is noise: Quiet costs less than silent. A well ventilated closet with long cables can cost less than a quiet system. If lack of noise is important that usually costs more and may limit component choices. The other question you covered which is portability needed?

Scott Mueller shoots a full length worth of DVD footage every year for his newest edition DVD. I imagine he does this with his own equipment (multicamera) and it is not that complicated nor particularly expensive. On the other hand I have friends who shoot full length documentaries meant for the big screen and their stuff is not top of the line, but it is pretty powerful stuff. Now if I only knew James Cameron... ;-)

Last edited by FascistNation on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:08 am 

Thanks Scott & Fascist... I'll print this up and do my homework. Thanks for getting me on the right path in the right direction... <g>

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware