The SSD Endurance Experiment: They're all dead

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the- ... e-all-dead

Who says SSDs die quickly.

Post subject: Re: The SSD Endurance Experiment: They're all dead
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:52 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Who says SSDs die quickly.

Not me, and those tests showed that they far outlasted any normal usage. I would have liked to see HDDs included as well, but no matter what storage media you use you should expect to lose any data you don't have *backed up*. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:51 am 

Here is a different take on SSD reliability. The complete discussion is available for free at provided link. Not sure how applicable the situations are if a consumer has a good power supply and UPS. [bolding represents emphasis by myself]

Understanding the Robustness of SSDs under Power Fault

Authors: Mai Zheng, The Ohio State University; Joseph Tucek, HP Labs; Feng Qin, The Ohio State University; Mark Lillibridge, HP Labs

https://www.usenix.org/conference/fast1 ... tion/zheng

Abstract:

Modern storage technology (SSDs, No-SQL databases, commoditized RAID hardware, etc.) bring new reliability challenges to the already complicated storage stack. Among other things, the behavior of these new components during power faults—which happen relatively frequently in data centers—is an important yet mostly ignored issue in this dependability-critical area. Understanding how new storage components behave under power fault is the first step towards designing new robust storage systems.

In this paper, we propose a new methodology to expose reliability issues in block devices under power faults. Our framework includes specially-designed hardware to inject power faults directly to devices, workloads to stress storage components, and techniques to detect various types of failures. Applying our testing framework, we test fifteen commodity SSDs from five different vendors using more than three thousand fault injection cycles in total. Our experimental results reveal that thirteen out of the fifteen tested SSD devices exhibit surprising failure behaviors under power faults, including bit corruption, shorn writes, unserializable writes, metadata corruption, and total device failure.

[edit: hattip jwoods@WindowsSecrets Forums for the presentation's link]

Last edited by FascistNation on Sun May 24, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

FascistNation wrote:
Here is a different take on SSD reliability. The complete discussion is available for free at provided link.

Very interesting, thanks for posting!

Quote:
Not sure how applicable the situations are if a consumer has a good power supply and UPS.

I agree, and if you watch the video presentation two of the commenters had the same question, basically saying that the testing would be more indicative of reality if they had cut the AC power instead of the DC power. However that would also introduce the power supply as a variable.

I'd sure like to know the specific makes/models tested, especially the 2 with no failures...

Here's a description of another power failure test: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/17 ... nufacturer

The actual test report is here: http://lkcl.net/reports/ssd_analysis.html

Based on the results of this report, I suspect the 2 no-failure drives in the previous report may have been Intel. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware