Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Parallel SCSI card not detected in Device Manager
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:06 am 

Scott, I just physically installed a Parallel SCSI card in the PC I usually use. A red light that is part of the card is glowing, but the card has not been detected in Device Manager for Windows 7 Professional. To my knowledge, the card in question did not come with any software. Do you know of any generic SCSI drivers that I can possibly use? Keep in mind that I have Windows Virtual PC as well as Windows XP Mode.

Post subject: Re: Parallel SCSI card not detected in Device Manager
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

You will need the correct driver for the device to be detected and function. In general drivers are normally based on the device chipset and would be the same for all devices using the same chipset, even if they came from different mfrs. You should be able to obtain the driver from the device mfr., however if they are no longer around you could try the chipset mfr. instead. If neither are around or offer support then you may try one of the driver collection sites like http://www.station-drivers.com/.

Unfortunately this sounds like an older device in which case there most likely would be no 64-bit driver available. If you are running a 32-bit version of Win7 then you might be able to get a 32-bit driver designed for WinNT/2K or XP to work. Also note that even if you can get the device working in Win7 it will most likely not be visible or usable under Virtual PC or XP Mode. Let me know if you end up finding a usable driver and how it works out in the end. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:35 pm 

The card in question is a Tekram DC-315U Ultra SCSI Host Adapter. The PC I usually use has the 32-bit version of Windows 7 Professional installed. I've found this page, this page, and this page, but I'm scared that I might end up installing malware along with the driver(s). I've sent an e-mail to Tekram USA asking for a driver for the SCSI adapter in question.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I've sent an e-mail to Tekram USA asking for a driver for the SCSI adapter in question.

Let me know how the story ends... Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:27 am 

Maxirad wrote:
.... I'm scared that I might end up installing malware along with the driver(s). I've sent an e-mail to Tekram USA asking for a driver for the SCSI adapter in question.

Good thinking.
https://www.virustotal.com/

Since they have no visible support page don't be optimistic they will respond. Hope they do however. I run an XP computer to support a old Adaptec SCSI card and attached scanner.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 pm 

A tech support guy at Tekram gave me drivers for the Tekram SCSI card for free. Unfortunately, I couldn't successfully install either an XP-ready driver or a Vista-ready driver for the card. I ended up replacing the Tekram card with an Adaptec AHA-290AU PCI SCSI controller that had previously been in a PC with a Windows XP Professional installation. I managed to successfully install a Windows 7-ready driver for the Adaptec card. With the Adaptec SCSI and the Windows 7-ready driver installed, my usual PC (the one with the 32-bit version of Windows 7 Professional) boots up OK as long as there is no device attached to the Adaptec SCSI card. When I boot up the PC with an HP PhotoSmart Photo Scanner (one with SCSI interfaces), however, the PC locks up at the "Starting Windows" screen. This is apparently NOT a random error. Can you possibly help me out with this situation, Scott?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

I would try changing the SCSI ID of the scanner to something other than 0 or 6, which is what some adapters expect to be a bootable device. Also make sure that the ends of the bus (card and scanner in this case) are terminated properly. Other than that this problem might be the result of a compatibility issue or limitation with the specific scanner and/or card involved, in that case there isn't much you can do except try other hardware. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware