Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Power Connector (old) to Newer Motherboard 10 pin connector
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:39 am 

I have had an older Dell 2400 computer with a single core (July 2005 Model) and decided to upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo. I found a Motherboard for a Dell Vostro 220, and purchased it for this Case. The 2400 power connector is a little different, the color of the wiring to the connector, than my wife's Dell Vostro 400 (Jan 2008 Model) which I used for comparison.
I need to change the Pins on this connector to accommodate the new board.

I have a picture of the connector (10-pin) with the color of the wires if it helps:

The New Dell Board is one from a Dell Vostro 220, I did hook up the connector to the new board, but no start. The power light on the front of the case stays lit to indicate there is current. Can you tell me which pins need to be where and the colors of the wires? I have known good parts in this case and believe this connector to be the cause of a non start.

I have enjoyed your books for some time now (6) and appreciate the confidence they have given me. I know that the standard for color codes is becoming better, but this is confusing to me at this time.

Attachments:
File comment: 10 pin front panel to MB
Scan_Pic0001.jpg
Scan_Pic0001.jpg [ 219.68 KiB | Viewed 1989 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Power Connector (old) to Newer Motherboard 10 pin connec
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Blockhouse wrote:
I have had an older Dell 2400 computer with a single core (July 2005 Model) and decided to upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo. I found a Motherboard for a Dell Vostro 220, and purchased it for this Case. The 2400 power connector is a little different, the color of the wiring to the connector, than my wife's Dell Vostro 400 (Jan 2008 Model) which I used for comparison.

I think by "power connector" you mean the Front Panel I/O connectors, specifically the switch/LED header. Those connectors should have industry standard pinouts as dictated by this document (also shown in my book): http://formfactors.org/developer%5Cspec ... 04-005.pdf

Quote:
I need to change the Pins on this connector to accommodate the new board.

Most motherboard manufacturers follow the FPIO industry standard, however some (like Asus) do not. I normally do not recommend motherboards (or systems) that do not follow the standards.

Note that while most follow the standard pinout, many do not follow the wire color codes. So the pinouts may be the same even if the wires are not the same colors.

Quote:
I have a picture of the connector (10-pin) with the color of the wires if it helps:

Unfortunately colors don't help much in this situation. Post a link to the manuals for the systems in question, each should have the pinout of this connector.

Quote:
I have enjoyed your books for some time now (6) and appreciate the confidence they have given me. I know that the standard for color codes is becoming better, but this is confusing to me at this time.

Thanks for the kind words, and welcome to the forum! Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:49 pm 

Thank You for your quick reply and the pdf reference. I will study it to see where each wire needs to be placed. Yes, I do mean the front I/O Header, it does resemble a usb type connector to the motherboard, although I am sure it may not be exact. There is one pin that is blank as the usb connectors are.

I understand that the color code standard may not be the same, but I need to figure out what color of wire goes where on the connector. I have seen a blue wire as a hot wire and also red. The connector does the job of power light, HD activity light, reset. There doesn't seem to be anything else. The front usb connectors are separate as is the audio. I mean separate wiring to the motherboard, separate connectors.

On my picture there seems to be more wires than I need (?), but I am trying to understand where they should be placed correctly for this newer board. Which color where?

Here is the link for the Dell Vostro 220, 220s (slim tower):
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... 0s/manuals

The older board that came with the Dell 2400 manual:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... 00/manuals

I hope these help.
Thank You for your help!

I can see the pdf from Intel will be great help for the pinout placement, Thank You!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:30 am 

Thank You Scott for your time to answer my question!

I do have another question about a I/O Shield for this board. I purchased this board because of the scarcity of the Socket 775, which are harder to find and the good price at this time. Since it is a replacement board is there a place to purchase a rear I/O Shield for the rear of this case? It does conform to the standard size, etc.

This board: CN-0JJW8N-73604-9CV-05TB-A04
Vostro 220 P301D

I am studying the PDF that you referenced and believe it will give me all the information that was in question. Thanks Again! :)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:21 pm 

Update: I studied the pdf from Intel and am up and running. I installed Windows today and am quite happy. Thanks so much for the provided information.

I still am wondering if there is a place to obtain a rear I/O shield for this board? I know that normally you would receive the appropriate shield with a new board. But since this is a replacement they would assume that you already have one in the original case. But in the event that one ever got damaged for some unknown reason, is it possible to get one as you would some other internal part? Any help on finding a source to purchase this would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:47 am 

It didn't come with the board? [assuming the ports weren't cut into the Vostro 220s case; which it looks like it was]

Sometimes you can find them on eBay. [unless they never existed; see first link]

Good news is the PC will run just fine without a rear I/O shield. [assuming the case of your PC has a removable rear I/O shield and not ports cut into your case; which it thankfully looks like it wasn't]

Last edited by FascistNation on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:05 am 
Site Admin

I wouldn't hesitate to run a system without an I/O shield. They were mainly designed to improve RF shielding so as to allow a system to meet FCC requirements. Leaving it off may cause additional interference in any nearby radios, but in my experience that is negligible. Leaving it off may have an effect on the airflow in the system, but I've found that to be negligible as well. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:26 pm 

Thank You for your replies.
The case is the Dell 2400, it had the original I/O shield for the original 2400 motherboard.
Unfortunately the Dell Vostro motherboard that I bought did not come with an I/O shield.
Why, I am not sure, except that it was considered a replacement board and I think that the company believed it was going into the same case. It is possible that I could contact them and question the fact that I need one and see if they could deliver.

I went with the Dell Vostro motherboard because I thought that going with a Dell replacement would help with the majority of connectors being compatible with the older case. Which some were and some weren't. I also have an issue with the front panel audio connector which is different. That pdf also has details of the audio connector also, which is a big help. I feel that with the time and patience I can change the wiring to accommodate this board.

I am really happy with this board combined with an E8400 Wolfdale 3.0 Ghz processor, 2 gigs of ram it is pretty snappy. It has a 4 gig of ram max. The Dell Vostro 420 motherboard will handle Quad Core and do more memory. I didn't see any at all available from Amazon. I am sure that they would be more money also.

Thanks so much for your insight it really is a big help to me when I don't deal with computer specs everyday and knowing where to get the best information!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:57 pm 

I was concerned about a missing I/O Shield, better air flow and cooling, so I made one out of some thin aluminum. Did a good job on it and I feel that it is acceptable and will help with better air flow to the rear case fan. I am going to check with the business that I ordered this from since they do sell original Dell parts. They just might have that also.

I did this upgrade to utilize a case that needed some attention and put it back in business.
It cost me real close to $134.00. It is real nice to use now and it will be a good backup system.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware