Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Free Drivers Updates Searching Utilities?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:23 pm 

Greetings Scott... Are you aware of free reliable driver search and update utility you can recommend? I've searched your board for Windows 10 subject matter and have found nothing relevant to my current needs... "BSOD caused by incompatible drivers on you PC and not Windows 10." Thanks!!! DLH

Post subject: Re: Free Drivers Updates Searching Utilities?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

ThinkPads have their own System Update utility and many other system and motherboard mfrs. provide similar utilities as well (Intel for example), so I would check for that first. An excellent general purpose utility for Windows 7 and earlier systems are the DriverPacks combined with the Snappy Driver Installer.

I've heard good things about Driver Booster free but I haven't tested it myself. If you try it let me know what you think. Some drawbacks are that the free version has some limitations, it will not update certain devices and drivers (mainly what they call "Game Components") and the driver backups and automatic download features are disabled as well.

The best driver aggregation site I've seen is http://www.station-drivers.com, they maintain the most up-to-date drivers for pretty much every device you can think of. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Free Drivers Updates Searching Utilities?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:46 pm 

Awesome... This actually the direction I'm seeking. You last entry line is what I'll pursue at present. Many thanks, DLH

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware