Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Don't understand some error messages
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:23 pm 

I downloaded the free Win 10 64-bit iso and installed it on an HP dc5700 microtower. When I tried installing a PCIe card, I got "This system only supports SDVD/ADD2 cards in the x16 slot". Google turned up nothing in the way of an answer. Anyone know it?

Also, when I tried using themes and such, it said I couldn't until Windows was activated. Since 10 is currently free where would I find this activation code and where would I put it?

http://www.engadget.com/products/hp/com ... 700/specs/

Post subject: Re: Don't understand some error messages
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

ronco1000 wrote:
I downloaded the free Win 10 64-bit iso and installed it on an HP dc5700 microtower. When I tried installing a PCIe card, I got "This system only supports SDVD/ADD2 cards in the x16 slot". Google turned up nothing in the way of an answer. Anyone know it?

ADD2 cards are special passive video cards designed to add additional outputs to motherboards with certain chipsets featuring integrated video. If you put an active video card in that slot it appears that Windows 10 will not support it in conjunction with the integrated graphics.

Quote:
Also, when I tried using themes and such, it said I couldn't until Windows was activated. Since 10 is currently free where would I find this activation code and where would I put it?

Windows 10 is not free by itself, however MS is currently offering it as a "free" upgrade over Win7 or 8.1. The catch is that if you install the Windows 10 upgrade on top of a supported (and previously activated) OS then the Win10 upgrade will be activated. Unfortunately I recommend strongly against ever installing an OS as an upgrade so the Win10 "free" upgrade is useless to me. Maybe if you call Microsoft they will give you an activation code? Let me know what they tell you if you ask. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:28 pm 

I got the same ADD2 error message when I ran Win7 on this machine. I see a bunch of used "Silicon Image Orion ADD-2N dual pad Sil1364 x16 DVI PCI-E Video Cards" on eBay. Would they work?

I agree with you that upgrades are not as good as clean installs. Just have to find a pre-activated copy of Win 10.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

ronco1000 wrote:
I got the same ADD2 error message when I ran Win7 on this machine.

That's interesting, Windows 7 is supposed to be able to support heterogeneous display adapters (XP did, Vista did not), however I believe that support also depends on the drivers.

Quote:
I see a bunch of used "Silicon Image Orion ADD-2N dual pad Sil1364 x16 DVI PCI-E Video Cards" on eBay. Would they work?

I think it is very likely they will, but I cannot be certain. Let me know what happens if you try one.

Quote:
I agree with you that upgrades are not as good as clean installs. Just have to find a pre-activated copy of Win 10.

Here you go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6832588491

Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:40 am 

What is the point of Pro? I know, you always point to Pro in the past but in Win10 Pro is $40 more for GP Editor, Remote Desktop Server and not much more that I see of use. Additionally it allows a slight delay in some updates. To be honest the Enterprise Edition is the only upgrade I would consider (or the "Education" license if anyone qualifies) and the price is too steep to bother ($$$ + four of the least expensive item in the MS Store). Win7 it is then.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows ... ss/Compare

Client Hyper-V?
Bitlocker?

Neither of which I would use or in the case of the latter trust.

The vast majority of most users will never use Group Policy Editor or RDS. Or care to.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:58 am 
Site Admin

FascistNation wrote:
What is the point of Pro? I know, you always point to Pro in the past but in Win10 Pro is $40 more for GP Editor, Remote Desktop Server and not much more that I see of use.

Remote Desktop Server is a requirement for me, and for people I support directly.

Quote:
Win7 it is then.

Exactly, I currently do not recommend upgrading from Windows 7 to either 8 or 10. I don't think anybody should have to pay for Windows more than once on a given system. I would recommend that somebody spend that money on hardware (such as an SSD) instead. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware