Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Loose USB cable
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:40 pm 

I've noticed that the USB cable that connects to the UPS itself seems loose. All it takes is a little nudge and it's loose enough for the pc to detect it as if it's not connected. Is it possible that it's just that the connection is just warped a little bit and a new cable would fix it?. The cable is pretty old probably at least 10 years.

Post subject: Re: Loose USB cable
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:57 am 
Site Admin

I would check to see if any of the hard connectors are loose, if so you could check to see if it could be tightened internally. If they are part of a circuit board then they may need to be re-soldered. The best outcome would be that the problem is just in the cable. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:03 pm 

I think it's just normal and maybe I just pulled on the usb cord without realizing it and that's how it got loose. Maybe the device side connection on usb cords is always a bit loose. I tried using the same usb cord and plugged it into a printer and it seemed just as loose. My other belkin UPS which is identical except for the power rating has the same USB connection at almost just as loose of a connection. I'm way over thinking this. I ordered a new USB cable just for the heck of it from MonoPrice through Amazon.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:54 pm 

I actually called Belkin support. Really difficult to understand them, heavy Asian accent. Anyway at first they said that that particular product had a specific USB cable that was to be used. Then they said any usb cable is fine. I really don't think this person knew what they were talking about. However I did try taking it apart but didn't get it all the way open. I couldn't figure out what was holding it together. Then I looked at the warning sticker and that kinda scared me. Saying no user-serviceable parts inside and that it holds enough current inside to cause harm. Anyway I put it back together with the screws I had taken out.

Then I decided to swap USB cables with the other Belkin UPS I have which is basically the same model with a high power rating. That cable from the other UPS fit better, even though it looks exactly the same. Maybe there is actually some slight difference that makes it fit better. So I went through my old boxes of "junk" and found the belkin UPS cable that looks identical and original came with that UPS. Well it fits much better, and even if I wiggle it the PC still receives the signal from it. With the other cable when I wiggled it even a little bit the icon for the UPS would disappear from the system tray. Or even if I just moved it a bit.

So all this over a USB cable that seems somehow specific to the product...Maybe the "jacket" on the connection has a longer sleeve or something for a better fit. That's what it looks like anyway.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware