Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: WD NAS Drives: Red vs. Red Pro
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:23 am 

Hi Scott & readers,

For the last 3 years I have been running a Synology DS211j NAS populated with two 2TB WD Red drives in RAID1 configuration to serve as the primary backup device for two Windows (now Win10) computers. So far, this NAS has only been used for image backups, but I will start experimenting with some of the many server apps that Synology makes available with their DSM software. I also want to use the NAS to back up three more computers (one Win7, two Linux/Mint), so it's time to add capacity.

I plan to upgrade/expand to a 4-bay unit using RAID5 - the DS416 looks nice:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS416

So, is there any reason to prefer the WD Red Pro drives over the WD Red units?

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products ... d=810#Tab3

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products ... =1280#Tab3

The WD Reds have worked great for my use so far. Primary difference between the two seems to be that the Red Pro units run at 7200 rpm, dumping the "Intellipower" feature. I don't see any other differences that would impact reliability.

I would appreciate any thoughts or guidance you might have.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: WD NAS Drives: Red vs. Red Pro
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:36 pm 

If the Reds have worked out for you I see no reason they won't continue to work out for you.

I am not a fan of Intellipower but again this is because of speed issues; if you are happy with the performance of your present Intellipower speed drives then not an issue.

The only other advantage for Pro or Re is 2 more years on the warranty.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/nas/

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Another big difference between them is the Data Integrity, more specifically the "Non-recoverable read errors per bits read", which is <1 in 10 to the 14th power for the Red and <1 in 10 to the 15th power for the Red Pro. That means the Pro is 10x less likely to have non-recoverable read errors, which I would consider important for drives over 2TB in size. The Pro also seems to have much more robust vibration protection and error recovery protection, which would be important for RAID 5 applications.

For me the speed difference would be immaterial since the overall performance would be more limited by the NAS device. The real decision is do you want the greater reliability and data integrity, and how much is that worth? I'd need to see a direct price comparison between them to make that decision. I'd be interested to know what you decide to use in the end and why. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:07 pm 

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. For the cost comparison, using Newegg's current web pricing, the Red and Red Pro stack up as follows:

Red .....= $90 for 2TB, $110 for 3TB, $155 for 4TB
Red Pro = 130..............160..............230 respectively

Newegg offers small discounts for buying two or more drives, so some of these prices are a bit rough, but you get the idea. So, for a 2TB drive, there is a $40 premium for the Red Pro series over the Red drive. For my planned upgrade from 2-bay to 4-bay, if I just added two 2TB drives to the two I have now, the price differential would be about $80, or $160 if I bought 4 new drives. And of course the price difference goes up even more for the larger drives.

One of the claimed features of Synology's DSM software is that you can mix & match different drive sizes in a NAS and the software will account for this in making optimum use of the drives it sees. If I were provisioning a data center, I wouldn't try that, but this is only my basement, so what the heck!

I'm still thinking about what to do & how much to spend...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:18 am 

Scott,

Per your request for a followup, I decided to go with 4 WD Red Pro 2TB drives. Two reasons: the 5-year warranty & order-of-magnitude error improvement that you noted. Higher spindle speed is unlikely to impact expected use. I went with 4 new drives and will redeploy the 2 Reds I have now to other purposes. To keep the budget from getting totally outrageous, I selected the Synology DS416j NAS unit which has all the needed features, but a different processor, less memory, only one USB-3, and a single LAN connection.

Thanks again for your thoughts,
Mike

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware