Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Samsung Syncmaster 245bw
 Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:14 am 

This monitor "blew up" today. Well today I turned on my monitors and pc. I walked away and came back and saw the screen was black on my main monitor. So I tried turning it on and off and there was a loud snap and popping noise and sparks came out where the power connection is on the back of the monitor. Scott do you think that maybe the cord was just loose and it shorted it out?.

Scott, what should I do at this point?. I'm kind of scared to try plugging it in again. I examined the connection just now and it doesn't look black or burnt or anything. Still, I don't know if it's safe to plug it in. This does seem like the perfect excuse to get a nice new one.

Post subject: Re: Samsung Syncmaster 245bw
 Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
Scott do you think that maybe the cord was just loose and it shorted it out?.

I doubt it had anything to do with the cord. Most likely the internal power supply portion of the monitor has failed. That is one nice thing about those using external power bricks, that is the brick can easily be replaced, especially if it is one using a common voltage and plug.

Quote:
...what should I do at this point?... This does seem like the perfect excuse to get a nice new one.

Bingo! While I don't think it would be dangerous to plug it in again for a test (if there is a short either the internal fuse will blow or the outlet circuit breaker will trip), I don't think it will work again without replacing one or more of the internal boards.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:23 pm 

Thanks Scott!. My graphics card has two DVI ports, one hdmi, and one display port. Now I just may get a new monitor, but it might be fun to take this one apart and fix it. All I'd need is the power board correct?. I remember years ago I fixed a Samsung monitor. I posted about it on here. There is a thread about it somewhere on here.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:25 pm 

Well it needs power supply board BN44-00195A. Most of them are in the $80 range less shipping. I could get an nice new monitor for $50 more. So I guess I'll recycle this. Scott any recommendations?. I want to spend under $150 and find one 24" inches at least with a DVI connection. I guess I could get one with an HDMI but I only have one port that I'm using right now which would be for a secondary monitor. I know you said they have spliters for that. Or at least I think you told me that at one point.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:29 pm 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824009722

Looks alright, as long as I get the 1 year replacement plan, since in the reviews a few died right away.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have much of a recommendation except that I like to make sure they have anti-glare (matte) screens as well as the inputs you need (HDMI, DVI, VGA, etc.). Another option where you can actually see the monitor you might buy are places like Costco or Sam's club, and they often have sales that can equal or better online prices. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:37 pm 

Hey Scott. I actually just ordered This!

Looks like a great monitor to me. Comes with a 3 year warranty too. Plus I've never had any trouble with returning things to Amazon if they don't work out of the box. I believe that's a quality monitor that should last me a long time.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Looks good, let me know what you think after you receive it. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:46 pm 

Definitely will tell you how it works out when I receive it.

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:47 am 

It was delivered today by USPS. Strange that they delivered on a Holiday but I'm happy. It's all connected. I like the way the connectors on the back of this are facing straight back instead of down like on my old monitor. It makes it much easier to attach and detach connectors. I've only had it powered on for an hour or so, but so far I really like it. It has a VESA connector so I can change the stand it came with but for now I'm using the included stand. No height adjustment on the stand but you can adjust it by pushing the monitor away from you or pulling it toward you. So it slants either way if you want to adjust it. Definitely happy with this purchase and happy it has the 3 year warranty.

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for letting me know, glad it worked out. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:55 pm 

I sent all the rebate forms in and have been told it's been processed. So I saved an extra $20. This makes the monitor only cost $129- total cost.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

Well that makes it even better. Good job, Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 pm 

I have been having this exact same problem,

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/199 ... S-VS248H-P

Whenever the monitor goes to sleep after waking it up the screen gets a purple tint to it. The way to fix it just turning the monitor on and off. I don't know if shipping it in for replacement is worth it because it seems the guy in the link did this and had the same problem with the replacement.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:35 pm 

Now I tried updating the driver with the intel update utility. I have waited for the system to go to sleep. When I wake it up I get horizontal lines on the monitor. I've looked to see if I could roll back the driver but that is blacked out. I'll re-download the driver from the motherboard website.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:48 pm 

Ok I redownloaded the driver from the motherboard website and that fixed the problem when coming out of sleep. The vertical lines or horizontal. I don't know I forgot. It was just all messed up so much I couldn't see anything on either monitor. Anyway that's fixed with going back to the driver from the motherboard manufacturer website.

I also did a "factory reset" via the OSD of the monitor and I believe that is what fixed the purple tint that was happening while coming out of sleep.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:32 pm 

I don't understand why the Intel Driver update utility screwed up and let me install a driver that screwed things up in the first place though. I guess sticking with the Motherboard manufacturer sites provided drivers is a better idea.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware