Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: WINDOWS 10 trying to copy files etc. from a windows XP PC ..
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:00 pm 

Hello,
A belated Happy Thanksgiving to Scott for having helped me so much by advising the steps in post entitled
"HELP - C:\windows\system32\config\system missing"
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3209

At least part of the drive is okay.

PROBLEM:
The drive is from an OPTIPLEX 780 SFF
ST: 9Z9K5M1
ESC: 21723414121
(Running Windows XP PRO SP3)
(Original drive)

Recipient PC is a DELL XPS 8910
S.T: 1X1RSD2
ESC: 4175142230
Windows 10 (After the August update (I only read about this)

NOTE - I had no idea that the attached error message copy did upload ...
(Just learning the win10 snipping tool)
The error message is as follows (and includes 1% of the drive - A lot of files.
"The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again or try a location that has a shorter path."

I find no place to enter an alternate (shorter) file name, nor can I see any description of the file specifically WHERE (in what folder) the file is located, etc.

There are two <button> options & 1 CHECK BOX) -> do the same for all files like this
SKIP or CANCEL.
On other PCs when this same error is encountered, cancel seemed to cancel the ENTIRE copy....
Please advise!

THANK YOU!

Attachments:
PATH2LONG 11.25.16.png
PATH2LONG 11.25.16.png [ 33.71 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
 Post subject: Re: WINDOWS 10 trying to copy files etc. from a windows XP P
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

It appears you had some files in long paths that you are copying into sub-folders on the Windows 10 system that is making the paths even longer.

See the following article on maximum path limitation: http://tinyurl.com/ly5conx

See the part where the "tip" indicates that Windows 10 can eliminate this restriction by changing a registry setting. Here is more help on how to specifically change the setting: http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-allows ... 1785201032

After making the registry change and restarting, retry the copy and let me know how it goes. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:04 am 

Hi and Thank you.
The registry edit did NOT have any effect.
(It occurs at 99% completion of the copy.)

This link returns a 404
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar47(v=vs.85).aspx#maxpath

Scott wrote:
It appears you had some files in long paths that you are copying into sub-folders on the Windows 10 system that is making the paths even longer.

I've encountered this on XP to XP but not to this extent.

It also seems like some of the files are concatenating the file data (size, date created, etc.) into a file name?.

Quote:
See the following article on maximum path limitation: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 47(v=vs.85).aspx#maxpath

See the part where the "tip" indicates that Windows 10 can eliminate this restriction by changing a registry setting. Here is more help on how to specifically change the setting: http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-allows ... 1785201032

After making the registry change and restarting, retry the copy and let me know how it goes. Scott.

The computer also had an ?out of memory error (It could not perform a specific copy operation (Didn't seem to have any memory issues......)

It would be helpful if windows kept a log of the skipped files and / or had some indication of the path (the culprit) on the origin drive.
Unless it's the destination folder.
Either way, being able to edit the file name (right then and there) and window's interpretation of the path, would be an asset.

I thank you very much again!
I really would like to fix this issue.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:51 am 
Site Admin

I fixed the link in my previous post. What files/folders are you copying and to where? Be sure that you are copying only the files/folders containing your data and not any program or Windows system files/folders. How exactly are you doing the copy? You might consider using a free file copying tool like Copy Handler, which can keep track of the specific files copies via log files. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:44 pm 

Scott wrote:
I fixed the link in my previous post. What files/folders are you copying and to where? Be sure that you are copying only the files/folders containing your data and not any program or Windows system files/folders. How exactly are you doing the copy? You might consider using a free file copying tool like Copy Handler, which can keep track of the specific files copies via log files. Scott.

No I am only copying personal files.

I wonder if I expand the OPTI drive folders, select / copy individual files and then paste individual files into same-named folders on the XPS if that'll work?

I will try and if this fails, will use Copy Handler.

Thank you!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:40 am 

Hi,
Sorry for delay my cat was sick.

Here’s what works:
Name a receiving folder “A” (under C:\)
Select an origin folder (from the drive being copied - a 1st generation C:\ folder)
Select all -> copy -> paste into C:\A
THEN when finished, rename “A” to <folder on original drive> or whatever you want to.

Getting to this “solution”, I tried ORIGIN DRIVE C:\<FOLDER> select all, copy paste to similar-named folder (on receiving drive C:\ or C:\<folder>) and there were "path-too-longs" BUT in this case, since I knew which folder the “path-too-long” was from, I could narrow the skipped files down.
Now, should I sell this to Microsoft?
Unless it's my personal PC and some aberration of Windows 10, MS needs a LOT of help - or at least I do
:D

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you figured a way. MS has a knack for making a simple operation into a nightmare. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware