Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:15 pm 

For some reason I can't get my Raid 0 array to show on this program. The windows version is the one I'm using. I thought it might be that SMART is not enabled so I went in CMOS set up and enabled it. When I run it under model number it says (ATA) and under serial number it's just all jumbled. Under capacity it says 0MB and under smart status is says "fail". In properties under health status it says "Warning". So I'm not sure if the drive is actually failing or it's just the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics program.

My other drive which is not RAID shows up fine.

Post subject: Re: WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:22 pm 

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number:
Unit Serial Number:
Firmware Number:
Capacity: 0.00 GB
SMART Status: Not Available
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 19-Quick Test::SMART Enable Operation error!
Test Time: 19:21:43, December 28, 2016

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:27 pm 

Maybe I'll just order another new drive since I was gonna replace my wife's hdd also. I could wait and try some new cables but I would have to order new ones of those also as I don't trust my older ones.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:35 pm 

I also found this strange looking screw while cleaning out my pc today. I have no clue where it came from or how it got there. I took out the removable hdd bay and took out some of the hard drives. It's possible it fell off one of the hard drives or off of the case somewhere. Wish I could get a better picture of it. It has ridges around the edge of it though like some thumb screws and it has threads on the inside instead of the outside.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

What are the thread specs? Different screws are commonly used for case elements (PSUs, card brackets, side covers, etc.) and drives. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:28 pm 

I'm not sure what you mean by that Scott, nor how to determine the answer. It has a hold down the middle of it and also has a flat indent going one way and a flat indent going the opposite way. These flat indents are like what you would see on a regular screw for a flat head screw driver, however they are much wider. Maybe it came from the bottom of the case somewhere?. I have no idea.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:14 pm 

Anyway, do you think the drive is on it's way out or do you think it's just a data cable?. I ordered another new drive anyway and two more data cables. I'll just make an image of this drive on the drive I have installed on this pc for back ups, that one checks out good. Then I'm gonna restore it to the one new drive, not gonna bother with a raid set up anymore.

I am gonna try out paragon hdd manager - https://www.paragon-software.com/home/h ... tures.html. It looks like great software. I might even purchase the family license if it ends up I like it.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:23 pm 

Well I replaced the data cables and WD Data Lifeguard still doesn't recognize the Raid 0 array. I believe this is just a limitation of the Data Lifeguard for windows diagnostic program.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:16 pm 

Just to be sure I created a bootable Usb with Rufus and ran DL Diag from Western Digital for DOS. Both drives in the raid array showed up and both passed the quick test. I didn't bother with the long test. This confirms that Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows doesn't support detection of Raid arrays.

I was gonna replace both drives with just one since I already have two of the the same drives on order. One for the wife to replace hers and one I was gonna use on this PC and just get rid of/destroy both of the drives I have now on this PC.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Sorry for the late reply, but you did come to the correct conclusion on your own. That is unless a diagnostic is specifically designed to support RAID volumes you would normally have to disable the array and test them individually. Also upon looking a 2nd time at the picture you posted I believe that the fastener you found may be a motherboard standoff. If that is the case I would remove the motherboard and check to be sure all of the standoffs are present and accounted for, as a loose one can cause a short resulting in damage to the board. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:36 pm 

I believe the standoffs are brass on this case. I did however try screwing a standoff into the threads and they do fit the threads. This little thing though is only about 1/16-1/4 inch in height. On what I consider to be the "top" there slots going opposite ways, like the top of a flat-head screw except much larger and going there are two of them that criss-cross and go in opposite directions. This top portion has sides that a rough, then there is a bottom portion that isn't as wide as the top portion and has smooth sides. For some reason I decided to try and find a brass stand off and screw it into the hole that is going down the middle of this piece. It screws in the bottom or smooth side of this piece. It could be the part that the stand offs screw into on the motherboard pan. However I don't think it was one with a standoff in it, otherwise I would have also found the standoff when I found this part. I will check on it though. What I'm not sure about though is that this piece is actually what I'm describing it to be. This is because I had though that what the standoffs screw into were actually threads in the motherboard pan itself, not strange little nut looking things that insert into holes on the backside of the motherboard. I don't know though, you've been doing this so long Scott, you could probably build a pc blindfolded.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:18 pm 

Better Pictures of the weird screw/nut thing,

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:21 pm 

I don't know why the pictures look so bad. They look ok on the camera itself after I take them. The camera is very old, maybe 2010 I purchased it, but the pictures should look much better.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:59 am 

Scott, do these new pictures provide any better clue at what this screw/nut belongs to?.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Not really. <g> I still believe it is part of a stand-off assembly. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:45 pm 

Ok Scott. I'm gonna open up the case and look with a flashlight.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:13 pm 

All the standoffs are in place. The case has a regular MB pan and has threads in the pan where the brass standoffs go. There is one hole without a standoff in it though. There is no space where this "nut" would fit in or around the motherboard though. To me it looks like something that may have been part of the case. There is a hole in the case near the front where the external 3.5" drive bay is. On the opposite side is a screw that looks similar to a HDD screw and in between the hole and the screw is a larger "nut" that is really fat that the screw screws into. So it could have possibly gone there.

I don't know for sure though because I've lost the screw. I thought I had it on my desk or in my desk, so I tore my apartment apart looking for the damn thing. I even looked though a little metal tin where I have hundreds of different screws. Not a fun task. So I don't know about this mystery nut thing. For now this pc is fine. Possibly when I get my new build going I will tear this thing down completely and see if I can actually solve this mystery.

I pressed along the corners of the motherboard to make sure it was stable and it's stable as can be, so that also is a clue to me that there are no broken standoffs.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware