Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: PSU replacement
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:18 pm 

Thinking of getting a PSU replacement for my Wife's old pc. It has a Corsair cx430 in it currently. She's had a problem recently where it blue-screened and restarted. Blue screen error was related to the video drive. I updated the driver. However I looked in event view and there was a different problem that was labeled as "warning" related to the "Amd northbridge". Cleared all dust out of pc. Re-seated the graphics card. Looked for bulges in the capacitors, but have not seen any. I'll get the details on the warning from event viewer when I can.

Anyway, the PSU is so old I can't even find where I purchased it in any of my online accounts. So I'm thinking of just getting a new one.

I was looking at this Seasonic which looks pretty nice. What do you think?.

Post subject: Re: PSU replacement
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't replace a power supply unless the existing one failed, and I'm not sure that is what happened here. Scott.

Post subject: Re: PSU replacement
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm 

Well I could always replace it and have the one in there now for a "known good spare". She hasn't had any problems with any blue screens since I uninstalled and reinstalled the video driver. I could wait and see if there are any other problems of course but I do like to have new parts. For instance with HDD, when HDD were more popular than SSD, I believe you recommended to replace them every so many years instead of waiting till they failed. This is how I'm leaning with the PSU of this pc. I'm guessing with HDD that recommendation is just to prevent data loss. The PC in question is pretty old but still works fine for what she uses it for. Just browsing the internet and some silly games. Also once in a while she is allowed by her job to work from home and uses SingleComm to take calls for a call center.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware