Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: New PC Build
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:57 pm 

It's been Seven years since my last build,so I figured it was time for a new pc.

1)Power Supply,

I'm wondering what brands are recommended by you today Scott. I seem to remember you recommending PC Power & Cooling, but then they were bought by OCZ and then Firepower Technology. So I don't know if they still produce Scott Mueller recommended PSUs. What about Corsair or Silverstone?.

Ok here is a PC Power and Cooling Silencer. Looks good but not sure it will fit in the case I picked.

2) Ram Choice,

Great deal!

3) CPU Choice,

Found a moderately affordable CPU- Intel core i5-6500 6MB

4) Motherboard Choice,

The Gigabyte GA-H270M-DS3H

I wasn't going to use built in video but I think I might now. Would really like to be able to connect two HDMI monitors though.

5) Case- Corsair Obsidian Series 350D CC-9011029-WW Black Aluminum / Steel MicroATX Case with Window. Looks great!

6) SSD Choice,

After watching your SSD video I think This would be a great option. I believe the motherboard I chose has the correct connector also.

Last edited by FatGuy on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New PC Build
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:50 am 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
I'm wondering what brands are recommended by you today Scott. I seem to remember you recommending PC Power & Cooling, but then they were bought by OCZ and then Firepower Technology. So I don't know if they still produce Scott Mueller recommended PSUs. What about Corsair or Silverstone?.

I do still recommend PC Power & Cooling and also recommend Corsair.

Quote:
Ok here is a PC Power and Cooling Silencer. Looks good but not sure it will fit in the case I picked.

It will fit in any case that supports a standard ATX power supply.

Quote:
After watching your SSD video I think This would be a better option. I believe the motherboard I chose has the correct connector also.

That motherboard does have an M.2 socket on the underside of the board and I do recommend using M.2 drives when possible, such as in this case. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:23 pm 

Right now I use dual monitors and one is connected via DVI and one through HDMI. Nothing wrong with this setup so I'm just gonna do the same thing and not waste money on a video card when I don't even play games at all.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:31 pm 

Purchased the Motherboard today from Amazon. Gonna purchase the items one by one, can't afford to get everything at once.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:51 pm 

Scott I read a few of the reviews on Amazon on the SSD that I picked. They mention you need a "retaining screw" and that it's not provided by Samsung. Is this something that should come with my motherboard?.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:10 pm 

I'd like this post to be deleted because I'm no longer using the case I mentioned. Since there is no option for me to delete it, I'm editing it.

Last edited by FatGuy on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:30 am 
Site Admin

That motherboard only has a single chassis fan connector, so I'd only connect the rear fan especially if you didn't have hard drives installed in the front of the chassis. Note that the 750W PSU is massive overkill on an ITX motherboard system like this, you could easily get away with a 150W supply although I don't know of any quality units rated that low. In any case, the 750W supply will work fine (it will essentially be idling) and the cooling will be the least of the concerns with actual power usage this low. I'd recommend a smaller case considering the motherboard and boot drive you are using. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:59 pm 

That link is incorrectly going to the wrong Motherboard. GA-H170M-D3H is the correct model number. I'll have to look for different case. I just really like removable motherboard tray. Anyway I also edited the link in the first post so it would go to the correct MB.

Last edited by FatGuy on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:17 pm 

Delete this post please and thank you!.

Last edited by FatGuy on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:30 pm 

Delete this please.

Last edited by FatGuy on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:38 pm 

So really all that will be in the case is the Motherboard with components.....I may get a HDD to put it in there for back up, but not even sure if that's worth it, since I could get one of those docking stations like you have in your video and do it that way. I'm sure it would make for a faster backup if I put the HDD in the case though. Yes the Power Supply is overkill...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:02 pm 

Ok Scott, what do you think about Corsair RMi Series RM650i 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply with C-Link Monitoring and Control?. Instead of the Pc Power & Cooling 750 watt?. It's got a 10 year warranty compared to 7 on the Pc Power & Cooling, and if I wanted to I could get the same exact model except the 750 watt version for $4.80 more. Sure maybe 750 watts is overkill, but for the price difference, why not?.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:21 pm 

The critical reviews of the CORSAIR RMi Series RM750i on Amazon are a little bit scary. Strange because all the reviews on Newegg are great.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:36 pm 

I was going to use Win 7 Pro 64 bit again, but since support is ending soon I may just go with Win 10 Pro 64 bit. Not necessarily what I want to do but I'd rather have an OS that it still supported for a few years while I use it, especially for a brand new build.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011070-WW. Looks ok, I could leave one of the 120 mm fans in the front, remove the other one from the top and then purchase two 80mm ones for the back.

If you use that case I would leave the fans as-is, it looks like they put some design effort into the cooling.

Quote:
I read a few of the reviews on Amazon on the SSD that I picked. They mention you need a "retaining screw" and that it's not provided by Samsung. Is this something that should come with my motherboard?

The motherboard normally includes that screw.

Quote:
The critical reviews of the CORSAIR RMi Series RM750i on Amazon are a little bit scary. Strange because all the reviews on Newegg are great.

Those reviews are a little scary. I'd probably consider something else.

Quote:
I was going to use Win 7 Pro 64 bit again, but since support is ending soon I may just go with Win 10 Pro 64 bit. Not necessarily what I want to do but I'd rather have an OS that it still supported for a few years while I use it, especially for a brand new build.

Note that Win7 is supported until Jan. 14th 2020.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:30 pm 

I'll keep looking at power supply units. As for keeping the fans as they have them there are 2 included in the front(120mm) and 1 for the Top(120mm) included. So that doesn't equal more air flow out than in. I'm just stuck on that because that's what I've always remembered you teaching. I'll defer to you on the cooling though. So with that info, does it still sound like I should keep the fans as is?.

Cooling System
80mm Fans
Rear: 2 x 80mm
120mm Fans
Front: 2 x 120mm (2 included)
Top: 2 x 120mm (1 included)
Rear: 2 x 80mm
Bottom: 2 x 120mm
Side: 1 x 120mm

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:42 pm 

For Windows 7 Scott, I don't understand this part on Gigabyte Website for the board,

Quote:
1)Support for Windows 10/8.1 64-bit
2)Support for Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit
* Please download the "Windows USB Installation Tool" from GIGABYTE's website and install it before installing Windows 7.

How can I install software before installing an operating system?. Or this is just saying to install something so I can install Windows 7 from a Usb Flash drive and "install" the software from Gigabyte onto the drive so Windows 7 can be installed from a Usb Flash drive?. Very confused about what they actually are trying to say.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:52 pm 

Scott What do you think of Enermax?. ENERMAX REVOLUTION X’t II ERX750AWT 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Semi-Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Only a 3 year warranty though. Those reviews on Amazon are scary about the Corsair but I don't know how much I trust them anyway. I've read about some of them being fake and people actually getting paid to write fake reviews for the competition. Read that in an old Pc mag.com article.

I have to say though, it looks like Enermax has a really good reputation. A lot of good reviews on all their power supply units on Newegg. Glanced over some of the other Enermax reviews of other Power Supply Units on Amazon and couldn't find anything lower than 3 out of 5 stars. Just searched for "Enermax Power Supply" and scrolled through a few pages looking at the star ratings.

Last edited by FatGuy on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:07 pm 

On that note about Windows 7, what is the difference between,

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

And this,

Microsoft FQC-08289 Windows 7 Professional With Service Pack 1 64-bit - License and Media - 1 PC - 1 pack of Microsoft Windows 7 PRO SP1 64 Bit on DVD for OEM computers ONLY.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:33 pm 

That second link was from a 3rd party that sells on Newegg and they don't have very good reviews, so I guess I should forget about that one. I've been going back and fourth between Amazon on Newegg. On Amazon a lot of the reviews are saying they got some fake or pirated versions of Windows in the reviews. I'd think I'd be safe if I purchased from "Ships and Sold by Amazon.com". It's the 3rd party sellers I believe that you have to worry about. One kind of funny thing is one of the guys wrote a review of the OEM version of Win 7 Pro and proceeded to tell everyone that OEM versions are already installed on HP, Dell and other machines and that Amazon shouldn't be selling them because they are useless. I mean, come on, do some kind of research before you post.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:35 pm 

It wasn't a review it was the question and answer section,

Quote:
ALL "OEM" branded software has already been installed and activated on a pre-loaded "branded" (Dell, HP, etc) computer. OEM software is NOT intended for resale under any circumstances, and in the case of Windows OS software, will most likely NOT activate successfully... meaning BIG WASTE OF MONEY TO BUY!!
Do NOT be fooled by the fact that it installs and all. Activation is the ultimate goal upon installation to determine if it is good or not! see less
By Bert Smith on August 27, 2014

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
As for keeping the fans as they have them there are 2 included in the front(120mm) and 1 for the Top(120mm) included. So that doesn't equal more air flow out than in. I'm just stuck on that because that's what I've always remembered you teaching. I'll defer to you on the cooling though. So with that info, does it still sound like I should keep the fans as is?.

While it is more normal to have a depressurized case, it is also possible to have effective cooling with a pressurized case. Since that is how this one was designed, I'd probably leave it that way.

Quote:
For Windows 7 Scott, I don't understand this part on Gigabyte Website for the board,

Quote:
1)Support for Windows 10/8.1 64-bit
2)Support for Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit
* Please download the "Windows USB Installation Tool" from GIGABYTE's website and install it before installing Windows 7.

They are saying that you must use a tool (installed on another computer) to create a bootable Win7 install flash drive in order to install Win7 on a system with this board. I recommend using Rufus over the "Windows USB Installation Tool".

Quote:

I can't really vouch for that one, if you get it let me know what you think. Of the PSUs you've mentioned so far I prefer the PC Power & Cooling.

Quote:

If the descriptions are legitimate then the only differences between them are the price and the supplier, the actual media/licenses are identical.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:35 pm 

Hmmm. I'm gonna write to them and clarification about the Windows Usb utility thing.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:49 pm 

I downloaded the utility just to check it out and it seems it's just a utility to create a bootable Windows 7 image and so you can add USB 3.0 Drivers to the image and also "NVMe" drivers-which I'm guessing are drivers for SSD drive?. Only based on looking around the folder with Windows USB installation tool and finding folders in the "StorageControllers" folder, one "Intel_NVMe" and the other, "Samsung_NVMe".

The application has a Window with a drop down box that says "Source Path(CD-ROM) and another one below it that says "Destination Path(USB Drive)". Underneath three check boxes, "Add USB drivers to an offline Windows 7 image.", "Add NVMe drivers to an offline Windows 7 image.", and "Add Packages to an offline Windows 7 image."(This last one is ghosted out.

So to guess again I think that I could still use an external dvd writer to install connected to the USB 3.0 port on the front of the case. It'd probably be a little faster just using a USB flash drive image though. Correct?. I'm gonna get an external DVD writer anyway though just so I'll have it for certain things if I ever need it.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:07 am 

You can vouch for the PC Power & Cooling one, I think I'm gonna stick with that choice for now then. I may look at different cases though in the mean time. Next thing I purchase will be the CPU in about a week.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:21 am 

Here is a different case that looks better in my opinion to the other one. With this one I can at least have an Optical drive or two installed.

Corsair Obsidian Series 350D CC-9011029-WW Black Aluminum / Steel MicroATX Case with Window

This case is great but I don't like the fact that it has top vents and there is no filter to put over these vents. I'd think a filter would be important, unless you want things falling into your case while you are working. Not sure how that would happen, but I see it as a reasonably possibility that you could accidentally knock something off your desk and it could fall into your case while the pc is up and running. That could be a problem.

Last edited by FatGuy on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:49 am 

Only thing I'm concerned with is on that case it says:

Maximum ATX PSU length 180mm

The dimensions for the PC Power & Cooling are 5.91" x 3.39" x 7.09"- If I'm correct, that last one is length, right?. Well according to google, 180mm is 7.08661, so rounded off I'd just make it.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, according to that it should fit fine. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:28 pm 

Scott, as far as optical drives, is there anything in particular you recommend? I was thinking about getting a Blu Ray burner, but I don't watch blue ray movies or anything. How would a blu ray burner be for making back ups or bootable diagnostic discs?. Worth the money?. Or should I just go with a regular Dvd burner?. Sorry Scott, my last PC I built was in 2010 I believe, so I'm a bit out of practice and don't know much about the current technologies.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:31 pm 

Found This! for the problem I was talking about earlier!. I'll order it!. Apparently the case doesn't come with it.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:06 pm 

Ok So I'm definitely going to get the Corsair Obsidian Series 350D CC-9011029-WW Black Aluminum / Steel MicroATX Case with Window.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:32 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
Scott, as far as optical drives, is there anything in particular you recommend? I was thinking about getting a Blu Ray burner, but I don't watch blue ray movies or anything. How would a blu ray burner be for making back ups or bootable diagnostic discs?. Worth the money?. Or should I just go with a regular Dvd burner?. Sorry Scott, my last PC I built was in 2010 I believe, so I'm a bit out of practice and don't know much about the current technologies.

So what do you think about this Scott?. Is a Blu-Ray burner worth the extra money if I only use it for making bootable diagnostic cds, back ups, and possibly installing some software on occasion if for some reason I want to have a physical copy for some reason.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
Is a Blu-Ray burner worth the extra money if I only use it for making bootable diagnostic cds, back ups, and possibly installing some software on occasion if for some reason I want to have a physical copy for some reason.

No, unless you need to copy Blu-Ray movies or need to store that much data on an optical disc I'd recommend a DVD drive. DVD drives are all that is necessary to make bootable installation media. Normally I would recommend flash storage for any data you wanted to keep. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:28 pm 

Scott wrote:
FatGuy wrote:
Is a Blu-Ray burner worth the extra money if I only use it for making bootable diagnostic cds, back ups, and possibly installing some software on occasion if for some reason I want to have a physical copy for some reason.

No, unless you need to copy Blu-Ray movies or need to store that much data on an optical disc I'd recommend a DVD drive. Scott.

Thanks for all your help Scott!. I'll just get a regular OEM dvd burner.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:54 pm 

Scott, I see Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I57500 Desktop Processor on sale at Newegg. It's only about $5 more than the other one I was going to choose. Is it worth it to purchase this one instead?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:11 pm 

Called Gigabyte to make sure that that version of CPU was supported and it is with the latest bios. So I think I'll get that one instead..

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:45 pm 

Ok so far I've got the Motherboard coming tomorrow and just purchased the CPU and the Case.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:51 pm 

Around $633 more to spend on this machine. So much for being budget conscious and using integrated video.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
Scott, I see Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I57500 Desktop Processor on sale at Newegg. It's only about $5 more than the other one I was going to choose. Is it worth it to purchase this one instead?

For that small difference in price I'd say it would be more than worth it. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:18 pm 

Question for you Scott. The motherboard only supports that CPU with the most current bios update. So F21 released on 12/12/2016. Now if the board I receive doesn't have that version of the bios, would it function enough for me to be able to use the Q-flash utility and flash the bios before I install the OS?. Or would I have to return the motherboard and make sure I got a new version with that bios version?. I'd have to guess that it would be fine and at least functional enough to do the flash.

Maybe this is a silly question because this type of situation must happen all the time. The new bios updates for newer versions of CPU's only upgrade certain features and maybe speeds, but they should still be functional enough to be able do flash. Is this correct Scott?. Or am I way off?.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:30 pm 

When I called Gigabyte support the guy had a really strong Chinese accent. So I believe he was saying that that cpu is supported with the newest bios. He was also saying that only certain boards with certain serial numbers have that bios installed. That shouldn't matter though I wouldn't think. I'd think you'd be able to flash update to the newest bios with that CPU even if the board doesn't "officially" support it without that version of the bios....

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't bet on being able to do the update with the new (unsupported) CPU installed unless they specifically tell you that will work. I've had situations in the past where a motherboard would fail POST with an unsupported CPU, meaning it is dead in the water. In that case I had to install an older (supported) CPU in order to perform the BIOS update, then re-install the newer (now supported) CPU. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:35 pm 

I just call support back and ask for clarification so I can possibly ship the MB back for a newer version.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:09 pm 

Wouldn't I still be able to get into cmos without it passing the POST?. There was a certain number or range of numbers the guy told me for the serial number. After a certain number and higher, has the newest bios that I need. Below that doesn't. Stupid me didn't write those numbers down. I'll call back tomorrow. So say if it doesn't support it, I suppose I could ship it Gigabyte and have them flash it for me or send me a newer version of the board. I purchased it from Amazon. I could return and maybe ask them if they have a "newer batch" or something but I doubt they will understand what I'm talking about.

I just received the motherboard on Saturday but haven't opened the box that it shipped in. I kind of don't want to open the inner box or break the seal if I have to ship it back though. Maybe the serial number will be on the outer box.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:52 pm 

I can't seem to find a bios revision listed on the box. The serial number is listed though. So I opened the box and looked at the motherboard in the anti-static bag. Can't find a bios revision listed on it. They should put this on a stick on the box, that would be helpful. I did notice there is a hole in the anti-static bag though. Maybe I should just return it to Amazon for now?. It's return eligible till Feb 6th.

What do you think Scott?. The little hole in the anti-static bag does make me nervous and there wasn't even a piece of tape or anything on the motherboard box. I could always return it, and get my money back and wait to purchase the mother board for a month or so. At that point maybe I'll get the F21 bios version?.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:36 pm 

This H270 chipset version looks good. However, I can't seem to find it available anywhere yet. Is that chipset even released yet Scott?.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:50 pm 

I've only found it available for pre-order overseas. It was $114 as converted from 92.99 GBP on pre-order. Not sure how much overseas shipping is though. Do you think it's a good idea to order it from overseas as a pre-order?. Or I could just wait. It supports my CPU I ordered so that's good.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:06 pm 

Ok It's all boxed up and ready to go. Amazon returns are simple and they even pay for return shipping.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:21 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
I've only found it available for pre-order overseas. It was $114 as converted from 92.99 GBP on pre-order. Not sure how much overseas shipping is though. Do you think it's a good idea to order it from overseas as a pre-order?. Or I could just wait. It supports my CPU I ordered so that's good.

Actually I put in my Basket and the price was cheaper. It ends up being $122 total in USD with shipping.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:35 pm 

With This board I will also be able to upgrade to an Intel Optane drive when they become available. Hopefully the board will be available soon.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:37 pm 

According to Intel The H270 chipset is already available. So that motherboard should be available soon.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:43 pm 

Intel's Optane.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:29 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
This H270 chipset version looks good. However, I can't seem to find it available anywhere yet. Is that chipset even released yet Scott?.

Called Gigabyte Support and they told me mid-February for a release date for that board. So I'm gonna wait and I'll purchase the other parts first.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:11 pm 

So I went on to purchase some RAM. I ordered one of THESE.

Kingston Value Ram

Those are in the Qualified Vendor List. So I'll get one more module before the build and possibly 2 more in the future to fully upgrade the ram in the GA-H270-DS3H.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:00 pm 

Scott, Question about SSD interface/form factor.

This one says the "interface" is "PCI-Express 3.0 x4" but the "form factor" is "M.2 2280". My understanding of an "interface" is just something that you plug into. "Form Factor" is a set of physical specifications.

Cheaper one. The "interface" is "SATA III" and the "form factor" is "M.2 2280" which is the same form factor as the expensive one.

Ok so is the only advantage of having the cheaper one connect to the M.2 2280 slot, is that it takes up less space or something and leaves some 2.5" bays free?. I'm just confused as to why they would connect to the same connector which they describe as the "form factor" but have a different "interface". Why have it connect to the M2 but actually go just as slow as connecting to just a regular Sata III port?. To me that doesn't make much sense. Now I'm thinking of getting the more expensive one because it connects to PCI express Generation 3 x4 bus, which is so much faster. Otherwise what is the point of purchasing an SSD that connects to M2 but runs at the same speed as connecting it to Sata III?.

Help me learn Scott. Maybe I'm mis-understanding things here because of the terminology used. It just sounds wrong.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Interfaces are different from form factors, however a form factor usually specifies one or more interfaces. There is no such thing as a "SATA III" interface, so the former appears to be a more accurate usage of the terminology, but they are different nonetheless.

The M.2 standard supports 3 different interfaces. The examples you posted use two different interfaces (PCIe vs. SATA). You would have to make sure that the motherboard supported both the form factor and the interface you choose. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:15 pm 

Yes I believe the GA-H270M-DS3H supports both the "form factor" M.2 and the PCI Express 3.0 generation and has one running at x4 -"Interface".

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:13 pm 

Scott, for future reference any tips for when I install Windows 7 pro 64 bit on this new pc?. Specifically I'm worried about it installing Windows 10 without my permission.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 pm 

Or is worrying about it installing without my permission something I no longer have to worry about?.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Since the "free upgrade" option has technically expired, that is no longer an issue. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:25 pm 

Purchased 2 more sticks of Ram today. So I'll be getting one more later and have the ram slots all full when I build. I'll be using the max amount of ram supported by the board, 64GB. Waiting on the SSD still because it isn't in stock for the cheapest price. Ok so now I have all the ram and will fill up the board to max.(1/25/17). Motherboard should be available soon. Still waiting on SSD to be in stock.

Last edited by FatGuy on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:05 pm 

Looking at This for a cpu heatsink/fan. I really don't like the flimsy plastic "screws" that come on the stock Intel coolers Scott. On my current one one of the screws is somewhat screwed up. I just want something more hearty.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'd spend that money on a better/faster CPU, but that's just me. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:40 am 

Scott , when it says "Supports up to 70W Intel CPUs"...I don't understand because I thought that all cpu coolers will support any cpu as long they specify they fit the correct "form factor". For example, this one says it supports LGA 1151 / 1150 / 1155 / 1156. So does the wattage of the CPU even matter?. Or if it is one of those form factors, will they only be up to 70W anyway?.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:21 pm 

More information and video on the cpu cooler I will be purchasing.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Intel makes CPUs of many different power (wattage) consumption levels in a given socket form factor. A given heat sink will be designed both for a specific level of power dissipation as well as a form factor, so you do have to consider both specifications.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:11 pm 

Scott, could you explain that in further detail for me or refer me to certain pages in your current U&R PCs?. So with the cpu I chose it is 65 watts. That is the amount of power it draws from the motherboard, yes?. Higher wattage CPUs would need more cooling because they product more heat, correct?. Having a 65 watt CPU and cpu cooler designed for "up to 70 watts", would that be considered "cutting it close"?. Or is it just, "It draws 65 watts" and that's it.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:26 am 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
Scott, could you explain that in further detail for me or refer me to certain pages in your current U&R PCs?.

See the "Processor Cooling" section in the chapter on Processors.

Quote:
So with the cpu I chose it is 65 watts. That is the amount of power it draws from the motherboard, yes?.

Yes.

Quote:
Higher wattage CPUs would need more cooling because they product more heat, correct?.

Correct.

Quote:
Having a 65 watt CPU and cpu cooler designed for "up to 70 watts", would that be considered "cutting it close"?. Or is it just, "It draws 65 watts" and that's it.

If the processor draws up to 65W then it would be adequately cooled by a heat sink rated for 70W. However that does mean that when the CPU is under maximum load that the cooler will also be near maximum output. This generally means higher fan speeds with more noise, which can result in a shorter life for the fan as well as a greater ingestion of dust and dirt (more maintenance). I prefer to have an oversized cooler that only has to work at say half capacity for a given CPU. This results in a quieter, cleaner system that will last longer with less maintenance.

Note that the cooler you purchased is a special low-profile model, designed to fit in 1U (thin) rack servers. It offers no more cooling capacity than the one Intel supplies with the processor. If I wanted a better cooler for that money I would have purchased a much larger (taller, not artificially size-restricted) unit with a higher thermal design power rating. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 pm 

I have not purchased that cooler yet. I'll continue looking.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:32 pm 

What do think of the Cooler Master GeminII S524 Ver 2 - CPU Air Cooler with 120mm Silencio FP Fan and Accelerated Cooling System?. It's priced better also, but I can't find the power rating.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:41 pm 

Ok I confirmed with Coolermaster support that that cooler supports LGA 1151 and the "TDP" is 150 W.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

If you want a better than stock cooler that is more like it! The fan would barely need to run cooling a 65W CPU. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:44 pm 

Thanks Scott!. I'll put that one in my wish list and purchase it later on.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:01 pm 

Purchased motherboard. Today. So far I have the,

Motherboard
All Ram
Case
CPU
SSD
OS
PSU

Need to purchase

Optical Drive

CPU Cooler

Last edited by FatGuy on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:11 pm 

I'm looking at a different cooler now also. This one.Not sure about though as it might be overkill because I don't plan on overclocking and I don't play games. Might stick with the former choice, not sure though.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:59 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
Purchased motherboard. Today. So far I have the,

Motherboard
All Ram
Case
CPU
SSD
OS
PSU

Need to purchase

Optical Drive

CPU Cooler

So I'm almost ready to build. I'll get the CPU cooler next and start the build finally. Not even sure I would really need an optical drive. They are so cheap though so I will get one.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware